Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding in Blackpool. Again.

• 21-03-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

The village is underwater again it seems. Maybe the developers will finally have their wish and it will finally be killed off by this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Looks like it - unfortunately.

I wonder if the Centra's been hit again? That'll be the fourth time he's been flooded. How much longer can the local businesses carry on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

3639_10200647494647203_2041289120_n.jpg

Was that taken tonight? Poor people...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Trying to link a video of it on facebook, but not having much luck

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

college road is said to be impassable...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

College road is up a hill surely? Do you mean the western road?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 its me_330

Anyone know how great william o brien strret is. Whether its flooded or not. Ive a sis livin der she isjust finished doing up her house from d last flood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

its me_330 wrote: »
    Anyone know how great william o brien strret is. Whether its flooded or not. Ive a sis livin der she isjust finished doing up her house from d last flood.
    Are those pics taken tonight?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is the city flooded?

• Advertisement

Blackpool is. Probably Douglas and Glanmire as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

The river in Glanmire is frighteningly high at the moment but it hasn't flooded where I am yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

hoodwinked wrote: »
    college road is said to be impassable...

This is most certainly not the case.

High tide has just passed. I hope the city centre didn't get done again. Would be the 3rd time in 9 years if so.

The flooding back in 2004 was easily the worst I've ever experienced. Much worse than 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z23rQN8zhAs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭twinytwo

its the same old ****e in blackpool, the council put in a culvert that cant handle the amount of water that needs to go through it during heavy rains. They refuse to do anything about it. Sure it took them over a year to fix the quay walls.

I feel sorry for the people in blackpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

This is what happens when you build a shopping center on a flood plain. Thanks again Clayton Love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This is what happens when you build a shopping center on a flood plain. Thanks again Clayton Love.

Or the planners?

This is a disgrace. Those businesses more than likely can't get flood insurance anymore, so they will be bearing the brunt of this again. The council spend a fortune on vanity projects and unneeded traffic lights and abandon the businesses and homes in blackpool. People's jobs and livelihoods affected in this economic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

pwurple wrote: »
    Or the planners?

This is a disgrace. Those businesses more than likely can't get flood insurance anymore, so they will be bearing the brunt of this again. The council spend a fortune on vanity projects and unneeded traffic lights and abandon the businesses and homes in blackpool. People's jobs and livelihoods affected in this economic climate.

Indeed. What a waste of money was involved with the removal of the Silver Quay roundabout and indeed the removal and then the subsequent return of the roundabout outside of St Finbarrs GAA club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

And not to mention the stupid waste of money on bicycle lanes,and new bicycle stands scattered around the City..

They must believe that stands for bikes are more important than saving peoples homes,and businesses from flooding.

Ludo wrote: »
    College road is up a hill surely? Do you mean the western road?

lol thats what i said too, but no they said college road had so much surface water it was impassable,
    This is most certainly not the case.

thanks, i was sceptical too but 96fm were announcing it was. :)
    twinytwo wrote: »
    its the same old ****e in blackpool, the council put in a culvert that cant handle the amount of water that needs to go through it during heavy rains. They refuse to do anything about it. Sure it took them over a year to fix the quay walls.

I feel sorry for the people in blackpool.

thats so true, they managed to sort the culvert in Douglas out and we had no flooding this time, so the question now is why the hell won't they do something about the blackpool one???

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

lol thats what i said too, but no they said college road had so much surface water it was impassable,

The drains on College road have been blocked for weeks outside the gates if UCC, anytime there is rain, the water backs up by the speed ramps/crossings, usually resulting in pedestrians getting splashed as cars come off the ramp.

I wonder who is to blame for that................

Cork City Council and even worse council that the Cork County Council. They use the same excuse all the time, it was an exceptional amount of rain, a once off event, we didn't know there would be this much rain.

• Advertisement

The council are FAR too busy lining the pockets of the councillors, and pandering to the whims of Diamuid Gavin to worry about silly things like flood defences and making sure the roads are fit for purpose.

What is it about the Northside of the city that there is such an air of neglect? I've said it before, but if they re-developed Blackpool Village properly, it could be every bit as nice as Douglas. But the place has turned into a real eyesore now. There's seems to be an air of hopelessness about the place. It is of further interest to note that the culverts in Douglas have apparently been fixed. Why is that, I wonder? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Do they actually look out their windows at City Hall at all?
    This is one of the wettest parts of Western Europe.

Heavy rain is to be expected, and is very regular!

We need the appropriately sized drains to deal with these kinds of deluges. They're not unusual occurrences.

The city has been flooding for as long as it has existed. There are paintings of it flooded in previous centuries.

People really need to pay attention at the next local elections and demand action on this.

thats not true, they managed to sort the culvert in Douglas out and we had no flooding this time, so the question now is why the hell won't they do something about the blackpool one???

From what I can see it's just pure class-discrimination. Douglas is a wealthy, influential suburb.
    On the Northside if there were some kind of Montenotte landslide or something, you can be damn sure it would be sorted out in a few weeks.

Blackpool's just ignored most of the time from what I can see.

The Shandon area & Blackpool village are just starting falling apart.

Given that Shandon's supposedly the main tourism area of the city, you'd really think they'd get their act together and sort it out.

I wouldn't really put it into a Northside vs Southside thing. It's more just about wealth and influence and ability to kick up a huge stink.

There are similarly ignored areas on the South side e.g. Barrack Street (until recent refurbishment), Douglas Street area, and that entire part of the central island opposite Union Quay which seems to be semi-derelict, despite being within a stone's through of the South Mall.

The residents of Blackpool need to get onto every journalist, paper, media outlet and make a LOT of noise about this. It won't get fixed otherwise.

If people aren't flood-insured, this is going to result in a lot of abandoned, derelict buildings in Blackpool this time, especially if they're leased commercial buildings / rental accommodation as people will just move out.

Solair wrote: »

From what I can see it's just pure class-discrimination. Douglas is a wealthy, influential suburb.
    On the Northside if there were some kind of Montenotte landslide or something, you can be damn sure it would be sorted out in a few weeks.

Blackpool's just ignored most of the time from what I can see.

The Shandon area & Blackpool village are just starting falling apart.

Given that Shandon's supposedly the main tourism area of the city, you'd really think they'd get their act together and sort it out.

I wouldn't really put it into a Northside vs Southside thing. It's more just about wealth and influence and ability to kick up a huge stink.

There are similarly ignored areas on the South side e.g. Barrack Street (until recent refurbishment), Douglas Street area, and that entire part of the central island opposite Union Quay which seems to be semi-derelict, despite being within a stone's through of the South Mall.

The residents of Blackpool need to get onto every journalist, paper, media outlet and make a LOT of noise about this. It won't get fixed otherwise.

If people aren't flood-insured, this is going to result in a lot of abandoned, derelict buildings in Blackpool this time, especially if they're leased commercial buildings / rental accommodation as people will just move out.

i agree, and last nights front page of the evening echo says it all....

it isn't a northside v southside thing, to be fair if you take childrens play area's the northside has an abundance of them, tell me the nearest play area if you live in bishopstown,

it seems to me money is being allocated both sides of the lee in the wrong areas, in Douglas/bishopstown it goes on developing the shops/buildings/culverts.

in blackpool it goes on play areas and clubs when the opposite for both is needed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Indeed. What a waste of money was involved with the removal of the Silver Quay roundabout and indeed the removal and then the subsequent return of the roundabout outside of St Finbarrs GAA club.

ah now, there's already a mega thread for that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭twinytwo

thats not true, they managed to sort the culvert in Douglas out and we had no flooding this time, so the question now is why the hell won't they do something about the blackpool one???

How is not true, this has been going around in circles for years.The culvert in blackpool is 4 meters wide ( it needs to be twice that.. at least)and it never gets cleaned out. Add the fact they dumped a load of stone into the river near to blackpool to "strengthen" the wall... all they did was make the river more shallow. Its retarded.. the clowns in charge of this clearly have no idea what they are doing.

In douglas when you have the likes of dunnes etc getting flooded they do something about it.... blackpool is homes and few small businesses

twinytwo wrote: »
    How is not true, this has been going around in circles for years.The culvert in blackpool is 4 meters wide ( it needs to be twice that.. at least)and it never gets cleaned out. Add the fact they dumped a load of stone into the river near to blackpool to "strengthen" the wall... all they did was make the river more shallow. Its retarded.. the clowns in charge of this clearly have no idea what they are doing.

In douglas when you have the likes of dunnes etc getting flooded they do something about it.... blackpool is homes and few small businesses

my apologies, that was meant to read "Thats so true".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭ofcork

My mother worked in blackpool 30 years ago and remembers flooding there so its not a new problem,something needs to be done asap.

My in-laws are from the area too. There's been flooding as far back as they can remember, but nothing's ever been done, like you say. I'm at a loss to understand WHY.

Did anyone see the RTE news today, BTW? They had a piece on the Blackpool floods on there with the owner of the Centra's saying his bit. How the **** the council could claim the culvert was clear at 4pm (with a straight face), when a digger was filmed taking out a tractor tyre? Clearly, the culvert WASN'T checked. The City Manager must think we're as thick as he is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The last time douglas flooded there were trees blocking the culvert. For a while after that, whenever there was heavy rain they had a digger on standby ready to clear it out. Who paid for that... I don't know. Maybe it was the shopping center?

They were talking about this massive tractor tyre blocking the culvert in blackpool last night, but in fairness... If one tyre can block it to that extent, what size could it possibly be? It must be TINY! The rain wasn't that prolonged, and it wasn't the heaviest I've ever seen either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

MrFrisp wrote: »
    And not to mention the stupid waste of money on bicycle lanes,and new bicycle stands scattered around the City..

They must believe that stands for bikes are more important than saving peoples homes,and businesses from flooding.

the money for the bike stands came from the NTA

Advertisement