Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wayward Pines [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Really enjoying the show so far. Although the
    throat slit scene in episode 2 looked fake a fook

I really need to know what's going on! It really seems like a mix between Twin Peaks and The Truman Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I'm loving this so far. I need to know what's happening and I'm just so confused!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I thought the second was alright. Knew yer wan who was helping him was going to be killed off. She was too sympathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is this typical summertime fare? A la "The Strain" or "Under The Dome" or is the acting & scripting better than those two?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Probably not far off those two... watch the first and see if it hooks you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Thanks, but nope, life's too short, and I've plenty other actual quality to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have to say after two episodes I'm absolutely hooked - it really does make you want to keep watching just to see where it's all going. Really looking forward to the next episode. Truman show meets Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't know if anyone caught it, but briefly In episode one when I rewatched it, the doctor from wayward pines meets Ethan's boss and the boss asks him if they can "call it off", to which the doctor (Jenkins?) replies "it's done, all taken care of" which implies that the secret service is in on whatever's going on, and are feigning their ignorance about what might have happened to him.

Couple of theories:
    A social experiment?
    A punishment for agents who misbehave? Are Ethan and Kate both there because of their affair?
    Testing a new method of mind control?
    Trying to make people entirely and blindly compliant to authority, a bit like the process of breaking down Jason Bourne's independent mind in The Bourne Ultimatum, before he can be used as a human robot?

Probably none of the above, but those are the main ideas which have occurred to me. The fact that Ethan's boss is suggested to have been involved in, possibly even requesting or authorising Ethan's abduction strikes me as massively significant - surprised it's not getting more discussion online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Loughc wrote: »
    Really enjoying the show so far. Although the
    throat slit scene in episode 2 looked fake a fook

I really need to know what's going on! It really seems like a mix between Twin Peaks and The Truman Show.

Never trusted her, still don't.

I'm enjoying it as it unfolds but for all that a bad ending (it was all a dream) would ruin it. Lost no matter how good it was for a while was ruined by the cop out ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

OK, 3 episodes in and I'm definitely hooked. I love shows that make me ask WTF is going on and this is one of them.

• Advertisement

DaFUQ @ that ending O_O
    Ethan was an absolute idiot to shoot him IMO, he seemed to be in the kind of mood where he would have told him wtf was going on had he just kept the gun pointed at him.

WTF was up with that whole animal sound thing at the end? This series is getting incredibly bizarre.

100% completely addicted at this stage :D

EDIT: Just occurred to me - are the walls around Wayward Pines designed as much to keep something out as they are to keep the population in?

What if the town is a Noah's Ark type project in which certain people have been chosen for whatever reason to exist in this town protected from whatever post-apocalyptic mutants / zombies / whatever exist outside? What if the town is the only "normal" bit of Earth left at some point in the future, and the idea is to try and continue the human race in some form?

So. Many. Questions. :D

EDIT: Sorry lads, assumed we were operating on the Love/Hate principle that spoiler tags were redundant after the episode had aired. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

@hatrickpatrick, you might want to put some spoiler tags in your post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Excellent show so far, always had a soft spot for Dillon.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why are spoiler tags needed once the episode has aired?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Once aired the episode is fair game.

I was a bit uncertain about the first two episodes - the fact they kept jumping back to the family, splitting up the action, was a bit jarring and took away somewhat from the action, but now that the family is with him in the third episode, it seems and feels a lot more cohesive.

It's a very intriguing prospect - would really like to see how they figure out the time differences; Juliette Lewis' character, who didn't last very long at all, says she was there for just a year, when in reality it has been 15-16 years, yet Kate should only have been there 5 weeks has been there 14 years.

Just after finishing episode 3 and they really like killing off their main stars. Adios, Terrance Howard.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why are spoiler tags needed once the episode has aired?

It's to bring posts on Boards.ie in line with the Irish media over the last few days. 99% redacted. ;)

I was a bit uncertain about the first two episodes - the fact they kept jumping back to the family, splitting up the action, was a bit jarring and took away somewhat from the action, but now that the family is with him in the third episode, it seems and feels a lot more cohesive.

Personally I feel that having his family around is going to be a nightmare for him. Especially with the Kate nonsense. It's hard to plan your escape from a freaky open prison when you have to also attempt to smuggle two other people who have no idea what's going on and both of whom seem to be unable to prioritise getting the hell out of there over their suspicions about Kate. Priorities, people!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

At least he's reunited with his family this early on. A full season of them chasing him would have been annoying, imo.

That sheriff loves his ice cream

• Advertisement

allym wrote: »
    That sheriff loves his ice cream

*Loved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

sasquatch obv

Although we don't know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Could they be on the island from Jurassic Park albeit without any flying creatures.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Could they be on the island from Jurassic Park albeit without any flying creatures.

I think it's pretty obvious that they're on Craggy Island, and this series is set in a post-apocalyptic future in which Ted was jailed for the money resting in his account, leading Dougal to become the main parish priest. I mean we've seen what kind of chaos can happen in just half an hour when Dougal is let out of the house to do a funeral ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Theresa became suspicious of the sheriff pretty quickly.

Wonder why Ethan is so important to them that they have to keep him happy, even bringing in his family.
    Going to be interesting finding out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

EDIT: Just occurred to me - are the walls around Wayward Pines designed as much to keep something out as they are to keep the population in?

When he climbs the tree to get to the backpack we see some guy shooting in the distance. My guess is that based on none of the locals owning guns that it was someone hired to keep whatever is on the far side of the wall in check.

Ponster wrote: »
    When he climbs the tree to get to the backpack we see some guy shooting in the distance. My guess is that based on none of the locals owning guns that it was someone hired to keep whatever is on the far side of the wall in check.

Yeah I didn't make that connection until I rewatched, assumed the first time that the shooting guy was just hunting for food.

I'm starting to wonder if the town is set in a post-apocalyptic future after a zombie outbreak or something. Whatever it was that came in and took the body looked vaguely humanoid. The amount of dust on the cars would also suggest that a lot of time has lapsed. The question is though... How are they travelling between times? It's pretty clear that whoever's giving the orders over the phone is in the "real" world, as evidenced also by Jenkins meeting Adam in episode one and the cop, Pope, intercepting the family.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I could understand some sort of scenario where the folks in the town are there perhaps for their own good. But the time-travel aspect is difficult to tie in with that. Ethan sees his wife and kids being admitted to the hospital which we presume is an hallucination but it looks like they were in the hospital in episode 3.

Either way, He doesn't yet realise that jenkins is an important person (the only one that we've seen travel out of the town) and Jenkins himself seems to know why Ethan is there, why he seems to have been selected, and why it's important for him to integrate.

• Advertisement

Can we use whatever time travel method they're using on the show to jump straight to next Thursday, and indeed every thursday after that when each episode is over? ;)

Advertisement