Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallic iron added to cereals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Processed cereals are horrible for you anyway. I'd be more worried about the sugar than the iron.

Eat oats. Or eggs. Or fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I'm well on that one , haven't eaten a regular breakfast cereal in years. I'm thinking of other people inc my own family some of them aren't really open to diet advice. If you crush the cereal and put it on some thin paper you should be able to move the iron with a strong magnet. According to the article the Special K etc sold in Denmark is metallic iron free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'm well on that one , haven't eaten a regular breakfast cereal in years. I'm thinking of other people inc my own family some of them aren't really open to diet advice. If you crush the cereal and put it on some thin paper you should be able to move the iron with a strong magnet. According to the article the Special K etc sold in Denmark is metallic iron free.

is there such a thing as non metallic iron?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Danes banned fortification of cereals, which also means Special K in Denmark is also free of the vitamin c, calcium, folic acid etc.

And nutritional value...buut that's not the Danes' fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

is there such a thing as non metallic iron?

Definitely not. I assume he means ferromagnetic iron?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

papu wrote: »
    Definitely not. I assume he means ferromagnetic iron?
    The article says metallic iron a few times.
    Besides, isn't all iron ferromagnetic also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Hold on a minute... People crushing up breakfast cereal and using a strong magnet to remove the iron? Really?...Really??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Iron is essential to for the body to function properly and the WHO reckon anaemia is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies in the world. It's the new fluoride all over again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

colman1212 wrote: »
    Hold on a minute... People crushing up breakfast cereal and using a strong magnet to remove the iron? Really?...Really??

A quick google shows there are many scientific 'lesson plans' for kids to observe iron in their cereals. That's the only reason this would be legitimately done.

Iron is essential to for the body to function properly and the WHO reckon anaemia is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies in the world. It's the new fluoride all over again :pac:

It's essential for the body to function but is there not a more natural absorbable form that they could use?. I get ill if I take even a teaspoon of an iron supplement. I'm not even going to start with the fluoride I've taken a position where I avoid it myself and let other people make their own minds up , I'm not trying to convert anymore. Ditto with organic vs non organic food do what you like. I just don't like the fact that GM ingredients aren't clearly labelled such as Vit C in fruit juices coming from GM maize , very sneaky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

It's essential for the body to function but is there not a more natural absorbable form that they could use?

You could just not eat cereal for breakfast. It's a big bowl of sugar anyway. Make your iron source red meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Doesnt the calcium in the milk most people put in their cereal stop iron absorption anyway?

It's essential for the body to function but is there not a more natural absorbable form that they could use?. I get ill if I take even a teaspoon of an iron supplement. I'm not even going to start with the fluoride I've taken a position where I avoid it myself and let other people make their own minds up , I'm not trying to convert anymore. Ditto with organic vs non organic food do what you like. I just don't like the fact that GM ingredients aren't clearly labelled such as Vit C in fruit juices coming from GM maize , very sneaky.

If it's Vitamin C it's Vitamin C. Who gives a flying fup if the origin was GM corn? Do you think it's haunted or something?

I suppose the first warning sign was fluoride. What's it doing this time, stealing socks so that you end up with mismatched pairs? First you were suppressing my chakras, now this. Damn you fluoride!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cc87 wrote: »
    Doesnt the calcium in the milk most people put in their cereal stop iron absorption anyway?

It inhbits it rather than stopping absorption of iron.

The vitamin c is there to aid absorption.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I don't know why they add iron to cereals but I definitely know that a lot of people in Ireland absord too much iron from food (hemochromatosis), not everyone but it is considered a Celtic condition. So the likes of avonmore adding iron to milk baffles me.

It's a life threatening condition if it's not managed properly. I used to take vitamins not realising they were doing me more harm than good.

Just something to be aware about.

Zillah wrote: »
    If it's Vitamin C it's Vitamin C. Who gives a flying fup if the origin was GM corn? Do you think it's haunted or something?

I suppose the first warning sign was fluoride. What's it doing this time, stealing socks so that you end up with mismatched pairs? First you were suppressing my chakras, now this. Damn you fluoride!!!

I'm not willing to take the risk the jury is still out on if GM is safe , I could get sick anyway but I'd rather limit the risk. Knock yourself out though. Have a tall cool one of Ireland's finest tap water , tastes like [EMAIL="s*@t"]s*@t[/EMAIL] but it's free for the time being anyway.

I'm not willing to take the risk the jury is still out on if GM is safe

The very question displays ignorance. It's like asking if "chemicals" are safe. Some are, some aren't. You can GM a crop to do something safe, like making more Vitamin C, or you could GM it to do something harmful, like be full of neurotoxin. There is no guess work involved, they know what genes they are working with, they know what those genes do. The only people opposed to GM technology are people who don't understand it.

It is not being used very ethically in the context of our capitalist system, but that's different to the technology itself.

Mellor wrote: »
    The article says metallic iron a few times.
    Besides, isn't all iron ferromagnetic also

No it's not it depends on what the local environment around it is , in Bulk yes , but in the body where it is in iron complexes it is not ferromagnetic , or else MRI's would be very very messy..

The very question displays ignorance. It's like asking if "chemicals" are safe. Some are, some aren't. You can GM a crop to do something safe, like making more Vitamin C, or you could GM it to do something harmful, like be full of neurotoxin. There is no guess work involved, they know what genes they are working with, they know what those genes do. The only people opposed to GM technology are people who don't understand it.

It is not being used very ethically in the context of our capitalist system, but that's different to the technology itself.

The question does display ignorance , I am ignorant of some facts which is why I asked a question but thanks for the lofty tone. Please have some patience o mighty logitician with us more right brained souls. I thought somebody with a scientific background might be able to shed some light on if using the metallic form of iron could potentially be toxic. Are you a bright by any chance?.

http://subversivethinking.blogspot.ie/2012/05/stephen-bond-and-why-i-am-no-longer.html

I'm speaking as somebody who has bad reactions to certain chemicals and foods , if I walk into a fresly painted room I'll have blinding headaches. I'm not sure the scientists who seem pretty intelligent and well qualified to comment would agree that they are lacking in understanding. Lacking in funding and mainstream media support maybe.

The question does display ignorance , I am ignorant of some facts which is why I asked a question but thanks for the lofty tone. Please have some patience o mighty logitician with us more right brained souls. I thought somebody with a scientific background might be able to shed some light on if using the metallic form of iron could potentially be toxic. Are you a bright by any chance?.

http://subversivethinking.blogspot.ie/2012/05/stephen-bond-and-why-i-am-no-longer.html

I'm speaking as somebody who has bad reactions to certain chemicals and foods , if I walk into a fresly painted room I'll have blinding headaches. I'm not sure the scientists who seem pretty intelligent and well qualified to comment would agree that they are lacking in understanding. Lacking in funding and mainstream media support maybe.

ALL IRON IS METALLIC , it will never be insulating , it will never be semiconducting ,it is always metallic.

The body has no natural pathways to get rid of iron so it builds up over time.Too much Iron is bad , Not enough iron is bad , if you're genetically prone to building up iron in your system it is also bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Not if its Vit. E afaik - only one form of the natural tocopherol - all the forms in the synthetic one

so you need loads more of the artificial one to get the same result - maybe someone who knows about it could add/correct this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Not if its Vit. E afaik - only one form of the natural tocopherol - all the forms in the synthetic one

What?

papu wrote: »
    ALL IRON IS METALLIC , it will never be insulating , it will never be semiconducting ,it is always metallic.

The body has no natural pathways to get rid of iron so it builds up over time.Too much Iron is bad , Not enough iron is bad , if you're genetically prone to building up iron in your system it is also bad.

Fair enough , I thought there might be a distinction between a pharmaceutical grade iron mineral as a food additive and powdered iron from industry. Thanks for the clarification.

Fair enough , I thought there might be a distinction between a pharmaceutical grade iron mineral as a food additive and powdered iron from industry. Thanks for the clarification.

Well there certainly is , but they are both metallic , the difference depends on the iron complex what other atoms the iron is bound to , it can be non magnetic , and this is how it is in the humans. And is the reason we don't explode in MRI machines .

Advertisement