Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

hoola hooping?

Options
  • 09-04-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just bought a weighted hoola hoop, anyone have any real success with theses. Have already cut my calories, just hoping to loose the bit of a belly! :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You cant spot reduce fat so working out your belly wont make it smaller. If you find hoola hooping fun then thats all good and well , but its the calories cutting that you've done that will really do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lilylimerick29

Yep its handy whilst the kids are gone to bed in the evenings, I'll pull it out after a walk, suppose it keeps me moving whilst watching the tv better than sitting on my tosh! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I hoola-hooped 5-6cm off my waist few years ago and my waist stayed at that until I got pregnant last year (still am). I'm planning going back to hoola hooping after my baby is born. You have to do quite a bit of it though - an hour or so per day, for a month at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lilylimerick29

Jautis did you find your waist was very sore to start with, I literally have little bruises on each side, so finding it hard to do a lot, will that ease with time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have a 3lb weighted hoop, really hurts at first! Try just doing it for a short while everyday, like start off going for 1 song and then build up on this and you should become resistant to the bruises. Or every two days if it's very sore the next until it eases.

• Advertisement

I agree with Princess Peach. you have to start with 5mins or even less and built it up. Wear thicker clothes at the beginning too, like a jumper or a sweater or both of them. pain and bruising will go away soon. I could hoola-hoop on my bare skin as long as wanted at the end and my hoop is 5lb!

If an exercise is causing you pain and bruising then you should stop doing it. You can't spot reduce fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If an exercise is causing you pain and bruising then you should stop doing it.

Even if it's boxing? ;)

Even if it's boxing? ;)

\:D/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

If an exercise is causing you pain and bruising then you should stop doing it. You can't spot reduce fat.

:confused: If someone starts any exercise they will likely feel pin and some tenderness in the areas they're working. Remember trying to navigate steps for two days after you tried squats for the first time? :D

If you have a pre-existing back condition then hula hooping would be a no-go, but otherwise it's just like any other cardio workout (but usually less intens, you'd get a better calorie burn on a rower/ cross-trainer/ out running). You're right in that it won't spot reduce.

• Advertisement

Jerrica wrote: »
    :confused: If someone starts any exercise they will likely feel pin and some tenderness in the areas they're working. Remember trying to navigate steps for two days after you tried squats for the first time? :D

If you have a pre-existing back condition then hula hooping would be a no-go, but otherwise it's just like any other cardio workout (but usually less intens, you'd get a better calorie burn on a rower/ cross-trainer/ out running). You're right in that it won't spot reduce.

Muscle tenderness is fine, pain (outside of DOMS) and bruising is not a good thing.

I was doing it as a part of dance routines, which always leave me bruised on the knees and elbows anyway.

You'd be worse off playing rugby or hockey!

Those are sports.

Its like talking to the wall in here sometimes.

You would tell someone to stop rugby or hockey so because they are getting bruises?

If you enjoy the hooping and don't push it too hard when you are sore it should be good. I think its really fun.

Bruises are to be expected in contact sports. If someone was gettign bruising from a hoola hoop i would tell them to stop as it's cardio, not rugby. You shouldn't be gettign bruises or getting hurt doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Skipping >>>>>> hula hooping.

You don't need to kit up like you're going to play American Football either.

Bruises are to be expected in contact sports. If someone was gettign bruising from a hoola hoop i would tell them to stop as it's cardio, not rugby. You shouldn't be gettign bruises or getting hurt doing it.

Dancing or gymnastics or rock climbing, and probably many other solo activities can leave you bruised too.

It's really not that bad, just work up your time slowly. Must get mine out for the summer now :D

Dancing or gymnastics or rock climbing, and probably many other solo activities can leave you bruised too.

It's really not that bad, just work up your time slowly. Must get mine out for the summer now :D

Do, i hear they will really target your belly fat. All the best.

I don't do it to lose weight, I do it cause its fun :D

It is good for your core muscles and your balance though.

Those are sports.

Its like talking to the wall in here sometimes.
    Do, i hear they will really target your belly fat. All the best.

Oh get off the cross, firewood is expensive these days and you're only wasting it. When you start hula hooping it's entirely normal to bruise, especially when using a weighted hoop.

If someone likes to hula hoop and they find it to be an enjoyable past-time then what harm?

• Advertisement

I don't do it to lose weight, I do it cause its fun :D

It is good for your core muscles and your balance though.

You can do that using a hoop that doest bruise you.
    Oh get off the cross, firewood is expensive these days and you're only wasting it. When you start hula hooping it's entirely normal to bruise, especially when using a weighted hoop.

If someone likes to hula hoop and they find it to be an enjoyable past-time then what harm?

Because it is painful and causing bruising, that's the harm. Under no circumstances should using a hoola hoop cause bruising or pain, apart from DOMS. Telling people to continue to perform an exercise in a manner that is injuring them is not acceptable on this forum and you can and will be called out on it.

FYI: you will lose less calories using a heavy hoop as they are easier to rotate.

Because it is painful and causing bruising, that's the harm. Under no circumstances should using a hoola hoop cause bruising or pain, apart from DOMS. Telling people to continue to perform an exercise in a manner that is injuring them is not acceptable on this forum and you can and will be called out on it.

DOMS is caused by muscle microtears, i.e. you've injured yourself. Hoop bruising is cause by minor haematoma, also injury. When you start lifting or start hooping both are unavoidable. If you still get bad DOMS or very bad bruising through prolonged use then it should not be continued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Exercise? Pah!

If you want to lose a belly then you just stop eating! It worked for me and I haven't read any studies at all! :)

DOMS is caused by muscle microtears, i.e. you've injured yourself. Hoop bruising is cause by minor haematoma, also injury. When you start lifting or start hooping both are unavoidable. If you still get bad DOMS or very bad bruising through prolonged use then it should not be continued.

Hooping shouldn't cause any bruising. Doms and brusing are not comparable. The owner of hooping.org and canyon hoops states quite clearly "If you are experiencing bruising from hooping you should stop and examine your hoop and your hooping routine."

Hooping shouldn't cause any bruising. Doms and brusing are not comparable. The owner of hooping.org and canyon hoops states quite clearly "If you are experiencing bruising from hooping you should stop and examine your hoop and your hooping routine."

It shouldn't, but often does because people don't get it perfectly right first time. That doesn't mean you need to abandon it and hula hooping is the devil's exercise. You shouldn't continue over a bruise, give it time to heal and rest, but you can still come back to it and try again and - just like you've said - examine your technique and - just as I've said - if you continue to bruise for a prolonged time then stop as you're obviously doing something really wrong. You're just painting an incredibly negative picture of what is considered a very fun past-time for a lot of people.

It shouldn't, but often does because people don't get it perfectly right first time. That doesn't mean you need to abandon it and hula hooping is the devil's exercise. You shouldn't continue over a bruise, give it time to heal and rest, but you can still come back to it and try again and - just like you've said - examine your technique and - just as I've said - if you continue to bruise for a prolonged time then stop as you're obviously doing something really wrong. You're just painting an incredibly negative picture of what is considered a very fun past-time for a lot of people.

I didnt say that.
    If you find hoola hooping fun then thats all good and well.
    If an exercise is causing you pain and bruising then you should stop doing it.

You are really taking a fun pastime for many people and trying to turn it into something its not meant to be.

...FYI: you will lose less calories using a heavy hoop as they are easier to rotate.
    I haven't tried hooping very light one but using my 5lbs hoop my heart rate goes up to 130-135bpm same as if I'm walking at average pace. We shouldn't be comparing the weights of the hoops but comparing TV watching while hooping vs TV watching while lying on the couch instead.

Advertisement