Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black Sails [Starz - US] [** Spoilers **]

• 13-04-2013 8:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Starz And Michael Bay Take To The High Seas For New Original Series "Black Sails"

Eight-Episode Season One Commitment for Pirate Adventure Tales of Captain Flint

Starz to Retain All Domestic and International Rights Including TV, Home Video, and Digital

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif., May 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Starz Chief Executive Officer Chris Albrecht announced the straight-to-series greenlight of "Black Sails" (working title) from executive producer Michael Bay. The new STARZ Original series is expected to air in 2014. The eight-episode first season of the pirate adventure centers on the tales of Captain Flint and his men, and takes place twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic "Treasure Island."

Flint, the most brilliant and most feared pirate captain of his day, takes on a fast-talking young addition to his crew who goes by the name John Silver. Threatened with extinction on all sides, they fight for the survival of New Providence Island, the most notorious criminal haven of its day – a debauched paradise teeming with pirates, prostitutes, thieves and fortune seekers, a place defined by both its enlightened ideals and its stunning brutality.

"Starz is excited to be working with a visionary like Michael,'" said Albrecht. "Along with the high-octane action that is a hallmark of a Michael Bay production, it has the elements that Starz originals are striving to bring to the premium landscape: epic, larger than life, cinematic storytelling. The series is also a property we believe will appeal to the global content marketplace with broadcasters around the world."

"I'm excited to branch out into television," says Michael Bay, the record-breaking director/producer of such big screen hits as Transformers and Bad Boys, "especially doing a long-form series for STARZ, a network known for supporting cutting edge programming."

Following the model of the "Spartacus" franchise and "Magic City," Starz will retain all domestic and international rights to the dramatic series, including television, home video, and digital.

"Black Sails" will be executive produced by Michael Bay (Transformers, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor) and his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form [producers on The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) and Nightmare on Elm Street (2009)]. The series is created by showrunner and executive producer Jon Steinberg (creator "Jericho," "Human Target") and co-executive producer Robert Levine ("Touch").

The production is set to shoot at Cape Town Studios in Cape Town, South Africa later this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,849 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Just watched episode 1 of this. Quite good. Usual Starz boobs n' lesbian stuff is in there alright but not overdoing it. I'll keep up with it just to give the brain a rest. As, usual the pirates' teeth would make Tom Cruise envious. And definitely not a history lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

First episode is available to watch here http://www.starz.com/originals/blacksails

@Mods The link is to the shows official site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

calex71 wrote: »
    First episode is available to watch here http://www.starz.com/originals/blacksails

@Mods The link is to the shows official site

yeah...the pilot is floating about, get it?....floating ;)

jenjenten wrote: »
    yeah...the pilot is floating about, get it?....floating ;)

Where to you think I saw it. Hardly a secret. http://www.tv.com/shows/black-sails/community/post/black-sails-pilot-episode-free-preview-139016195190/

But I won't spolier this - its an inside secret....John Silver turns out to be a nasty piece of work. Man called Stevenson told me that in strictest confidence.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Just watched episode 1 and really enjoyed it.
    It has the usual Boobs,blood and things that go boom. Basically if you enjoyed Spartacus you should enjoy this.

Its also pretty cool seeing places like Nassau after you've been playing AC4 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Damn that was fair enjoyable

Had a good laugh out of the black beard scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Quite enjoyed watching that, especially since playing through AC4 only last week. Going to give it a fair chance at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I liked it but thought it was walking a tightrope between having a pirates of the caribbean flavour which is sort of light hearted but dealing with fairly hard core issues, none of the characters look much like pirates either, all far, far, far too pretty. I get the feeling it'll fall apart as the pretty hollywood part tries to go the opposite way from the hard core pirate story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i thought it was a good watch.

Not as good i was expecting but its only episode 1 and i did enjoy it and will watch the whole first season then make a call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

second episode was quite good.A lot of fleshed out characters (and not just nakedness).

second episode was quite good.A lot of fleshed out characters (and not just nakedness).

Yup...think we'll be on the high seas next week. Once Flint can find his inner peaceful person and not cook Silver alive. But I do hope lesbian action continues for ehh...educational purposes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm enjoying it so far, nice little Spartacus replacement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm loving it. Love pirates i do! And AC4 really heightened that, so this is awesome to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Where to you think I saw it. Hardly a secret. http://www.tv.com/shows/black-sails/community/post/black-sails-pilot-episode-free-preview-139016195190/

But I won't spolier this - its an inside secret....John Silver turns out to be a nasty piece of work. Man called Stevenson told me that in strictest confidence.;)

Cheers for that, as that it'll stop it from being pirated :D

I know...fortean_times_1401_7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it so far, nice little Spartacus replacement :)

I agree, a good combination of styling from AC4 and Spartacus.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Liking this so far. Any link to Hell on Wheels? It seems... to have a similar way of telling the story?

the_syco wrote: »
    Liking this so far. Any link to Hell on Wheels? It seems... to have a similar way of telling the story?

Well, unless a Doctor Who appears and bridges the 150 year time gap - mot much hope of a series link-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

thought it was rubbish myself

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, unless a Doctor Who appears and bridges the 150 year time gap - mot much hope of a series link-up.
    Not to link the series, but if they had similar companies doing the production. Seemingly not.

=-=

Find the sunglasses of some of the pirates a bit too new...

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Not to link the series, but if they had similar companies doing the production. Seemingly not.

=-=

Find the sunglasses of some of the pirates a bit too new...

Yeah, just checked that out - sunglasses as we know them not invented until 1752. This is 1715 and Rackham was wearing some very sporty shades. I thought it was a continuity error (in that light all the actors would be wearing shades when not in a take) until they gave him a major close-up wearing them. My amazing research took 5 seconds on Wikipedia. Wouldn't have hurt the show to put in a similar effort.

for a pirate show I'm disappointed that it features very little actual sailing. It seems to be more about the intrigue and shifting alliances in Nassau- its like a low-brow Deadwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aye, it's something I'm watching if I have time, lack of actual sailing is pretty crap so far, hoping that changes. Doubt I'll be watching this too long though unless it improves a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Enjoying it so far.
    Its a leave your brain at the door type of show.. Something i've been missing since Spartacus.

Thought the fourth episode was pretty good. The careening of the ship looked good and also there was a pinch of violence, intrigue and emergency surgery. Only minus so far is the minor role of John Silver. They just don't know what to do with that character.

Episode 5: Things starting to pick up a good bit now, plenty of action and a nice bit of gore to boot. And left on such a cliffhanger! Can't wait for the next episode!

Episode 6: Things just ain't going Flints way are they? I wonder
    did Flint kick Boots (pun intended) off, or did he genuinely fall? And was that Blackbeard at the end??? Tank of a man if it was!

I done myself a disservice and read the plot of Treasure Island, which this is apparently a prequel to. It has ruined a few points slightly, ie: i now know who's not going to die. So, if you haven't seen or read Treasure Island, don't read about it now!

Also, 500 hours to build each ship. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Epiosde 7 was pretty good. Heating up for both a land and sea battle. So much enjoyable watching a show when you know it has been renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

This really is ramping up nicely. Looking forward to it every week now.

Has it been renewed?

Advertisement