Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Forum FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dave_greg

Thank you! It is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭frawley2005

Very good info I have tried rooting in the past might give it another go soon, had problems pushing image of os onto the phone ... using a galaxy s3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Have Huawei U8666-1 2.3.6 Android ,and put in 32GB microSD but it's not recognising it. 'Internal SD storage' is 17MB with 5MB 'available space' ,SD card 'total space - unavailable' it says even thought SD card is in it .
    Solution ? Or get 'better' phone with more space in it to start,and would that one recognise my SD ????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Can anyone tell me how to do an image search on google?
    images.google.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Anyone able to tell me why when my Galaxy S5 prompts me to install an app every time I boot it. No sure if it's the same app everytime but Words with friends has been there on boot up.

It essentially loads up the google play store on the app. Can put my finger as to what's causing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 donnapuppy

I recently bought a Sony xperia m4 aqua in carphone warehouse. I wanted a z1 compact but it was sold out and I was told this was the exact same except for screen size and camera. The phone which I was sold as an 8gb phone actually only has 4gb storage available as 4.03gb is taken up by the android system. This doesn't seem right to me. When I questioned carphone warehouse they were rude abrupt and unhelpful and told me all phones were like that but I've never had a phone with half its storage capacity already used on purchase.
    My sister has since bought the z1 compact and has 11gb which is all available to her. When I brought this up with carphone warehouse they made me feel like I was being difficult and eventually said they would contact the Sony rep. They rang back to say that was standard for 4.03gb to be taken up by the android system and basically nothing I can do.
    I have a memory card which I constantly have to transfer data across to, like photos music videos, some apps etc, but a lot of apps won't transfer to the memory card so I can't download any new apps as I have insufficient space.

Basically want to know is this standard for an android as I previously had iphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

donnapuppy wrote: »
    I recently bought a Sony xperia m4 aqua in carphone warehouse. I wanted a z1 compact but it was sold out and I was told this was the exact same except for screen size and camera. The phone which I was sold as an 8gb phone actually only has 4gb storage available as 4.03gb is taken up by the android system. This doesn't seem right to me. When I questioned carphone warehouse they were rude abrupt and unhelpful and told me all phones were like that but I've never had a phone with half its storage capacity already used on purchase.
    My sister has since bought the z1 compact and has 11gb which is all available to her. When I brought this up with carphone warehouse they made me feel like I was being difficult and eventually said they would contact the Sony rep. They rang back to say that was standard for 4.03gb to be taken up by the android system and basically nothing I can do.
    I have a memory card which I constantly have to transfer data across to, like photos music videos, some apps etc, but a lot of apps won't transfer to the memory card so I can't download any new apps as I have insufficient space.

Basically want to know is this standard for an android as I previously had iphones?

All phones are the same unfortunately even the beloved iPhone. You bought a phone with 8GB memory which was your first mistake. Your sister bought a 16 GB phone and has 11 GB available. If you bought a 32gb phone you'd have around 25 GB available to use.

If I was you I'd bring it back and look for a full refund and next time do some research before making a purchase.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

All phones are the same unfortunately even the beloved iPhone. You bought a phone with 8GB memory which was your first mistake. Your sister bought a 16 GB phone and has 11 GB available. If you bought a 32gb phone you'd have around 25 GB available to use.

If I was you I'd bring it back and look for a full refund and next time do some research before making a purchase.

You could ask, but you could not demand a refund, unless there is some hardware fault which can be demonstrated.

Then you are entitled, under the EU two year guarantee.

There is the misselling point, but I think it would be difficult, unless there is proof of the incorrect information being given, and also given that the buyer also has a responsibility to check that the item is as described in any information, brochure or user manual available with it or in the shop.

Sorry, but I do think the buyer just must be careful when purchasing items, in that they meet the standards required.

But, I would also pursue this through the retailer, and their management, and whatever complaints procedure they have in place, on the basis of the claimed misinformation given.

This appears to be their stated policy in Ireland, and I would pursue a written complaint procedure, via the e-mail given, stating your case clearly, and naming names and the Store, with as much information and detail as possible, as verbal stuff is useless.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/terms-conditions
    24. Handling complaints

24.1 There may well be occasions when you are unhappy with the service that we provided to you. In these cases, we will endeavour to be fair and efficient in handling any complaint you should have and to process your complaint confidentially.

24.2 If you have a complaint, please e-mail Customer Care at CUSTOMERCAREIE-CPW-IE@cpwplc.com, or call on 1850 424 800.

24.3 We will endeavour to give you an answer within five working days and will provide you with a likely timescale for resolving the dispute. We will keep you informed about the progress of your complaint.

We undertake to check our system regularly for handling complaints and we welcome any suggestion you may have in relation to how this system may be improved

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Girlfriend's Play Store account is still showing everything in GBP (from her time in the UK) and she doesn't see certain ROI apps (like 3 Plus etc).

She had a UK credit card associated with it, but we've added her Irish credit card to Google Wallet, changed her billing address to Ireland, signed-out of Play Store, signed back in, cleared cache etc.

Basically there's nothing online in Google but hit-and-miss suggestions - was anyone in a similar situation who got it solved, and how?

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

Have an Galaxy s6 edge. Can anyone tell me how to remove the app names from the homescreen so as to just have the icons?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Anyone get Gmail notifications for unread emails? Just started getting them randomly recently, get them a few times each day for each account. Anyone any ideas?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Chrome issue:

I can't type the web address in the latest Chrome browser. It works fine but I have to use the history tab to access websites because it won't let me type. Does anyone have any suggestions?I've Lollipop 5.1.1.

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me how to do an image search on google?

Best way, if you want to find an image in a web page, for source, etc. in Google Chrome Browser, is to right-click image, in the pic below I right-clicked your Avatar.....

this shows the options which are available to you, including a Google image search......

image%20search%20chrome.jpg

Also, normal Google has several categories of search, which includes image search...

Hears a search for "big bikes" :p using the images option...there are others, bt you can see them below...

big%20bikes%20search.jpg

Cheers thanks but was specifically looking to do it on an android phone!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hold down on the image and if you're using Chrome you'll get a number of options, one being Search Google for this image.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭xlogo

Just upgraded my moto g (1st gen) which all went fine but I lost my photos in gallery after the upgrade - any ideas on how I can get them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭droidman123

xlogo wrote: »
    Just upgraded my moto g (1st gen) which all went fine but I lost my photos in gallery after the upgrade - any ideas on how I can get them back?

Are they backed up in Google photos?

Cheers thanks but was specifically looking to do it on an android phone!

Sorry Dennis, I forgot I was on an Android forum.....:p

However, it is similar.......

No need for Browser at all....all Androids should have the Google [Search] App.

Just called Google, and it uses "hello google" voice searches, as well as text searches, you usually can access it by swiping from the bottom of the screen upwards, unless you are using a non-default GUI/Launcher....

However, it will appear in your App Drawer, and you can add it to your Home Screen for easy access......

It looks like this now:

google_icon2.png

If you don't have it, you can get it on Play....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox&hl=en

When launched, as in pic below from my phone, you can either voice search, ot trxt search, and results give the same options as the big brother on a Laptop, PC.....web results, image results, etc....

I searched for that "big bike" again......:D

big%20bike%20phone.jpg

Cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭xlogo

No - they weren't backed up
    to Google photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jelly bean 4.2.2

Does anyone know how to edit and delete numbers, I've got dups, errors and some that are simply not required any more. Note - I do not have this phone connected to the net - its just a phone so apps are no use (unless they can work on PC via the USB to the phone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

I was wondering could anyone help me with an issue with my LG G3. I'm after getting a new pair of headphones (ATH-M50's) and every time I have them connected Google Voice search keeps coming on and interrupting what I'm listening to. I've disabled the 'ok Google' setting already but no luck. Any help would be great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The jack is shorting out the pins as if you pressed the button on an inline control. Has happened to me before but I've never come across a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 harro

I need some help rooting an Asus Transformer TF101. Tried Kingo but no luck. Its running Android 3.0 and I want to upgrade.
    Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

hi folks, I have a S5, the last few days everytime i use the standard browser i get a pop up saying i've won something, assuming this is some type of virus, whats the best way to remove?

hi folks, I have a S5, the last few days everytime i use the standard browser i get a pop up saying i've won something, assuming this is some type of virus, whats the best way to remove?

Maybe try using the chrome browser?

Are you connected to wifi and if so who's your provider?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Maybe try using the chrome browser?

Are you connected to wifi and if so who's your provider?

yeah chrome is fine, 3 is my provider but it is coming up ive won a vodafone iphone and to fill in a survey, this happens on wifi (Vf) and 4G along with work wifi (UK ip address)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 harro

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and installed Avast from the Play store. No problems since and it doesn't seem to have slowed the phone down at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Lots of people getting this. Thread in the Vodafone forum about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

kc66 wrote: »
    Lots of people getting this. Thread in the Vodafone forum about it.

Some Three peeps getting it too. Get it on Three myself but not on my home wifi.

I have fixed it by using firefox browser with the addon 'Ublock Origin' for ad blocking and this works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Anyone else having a problem with screen rotation on Samsung S5? When I want to watch something on YouTube for example my phone is stuck in portrait, it won't go into landscape no matter what. My screen rotation is activated.

I went online & was advised to power down the phone, remove the battery for 30 seconds before putting it back in & powering up. This worked for about 15 minutes but now it doesn't. I don't want to revert to factory settings as I've too much stuff to lose & am not in a position to back data up easily. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone help?

Advertisement