Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The return of Winning Streak

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

€218k given away tonight.

I'm fairly sure that the only episode of the Million Euro Challenge that gave away more than that was the one where the million was won... ;)

And when the million was won, there was no confetti. So it's actually quite good to see that WS hasn't ditched the stuff... :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Marty and Sinead will be on Miriams show tonight for anyone suffering withdrawl symptoms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Can't watch Miriam. Truly dreadful television. :(

Can't watch Miriam. Truly dreadful television. :(

There was a time when it was good, though.

The guests were better than they are today, as was Miriam's dress sense - literally.

saturday-with-miriam-edit-218003891.jpg

:o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Yeah Welcome back Winning streak! Great to see Marty and Sinead again. RTE Don't ever get rid of Winning streak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Winning Streak in minor controversy shocker
    contestant Mary Healy from Co Limerick is shown having three symbols on her table at one point in Wheel Reveal — but just seconds later is shown with four symbols before she is chosen to push her button for the final time ...

An eagle-eyed Star reader who spotted the discrepancy called for a re-run of the show in the interests of fairness to the other contestants.
    He believes the Limerick contestant may have pressed the button by mistake and nobody noticed.

http://thestar.ie/eagle-eye-viewer-catches-huge-blunder-on-winning-streak/

Screen-Shot-2015-07-17-at-22.42.52.png

Screen-Shot-2015-07-17-at-22.43.56.png

I tell ya, this would never have happened if everyone was concentrating on trying to figure out the rules, and looking like they would rather be anywhere else.

So the obvious solution is - Bring back Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Would that be why 2 contestants spun the wheel at the end last week, or is that a new feature this season?

I wasn't fully watching so missed if they gave any explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's a new feature. The first week had 2 people spinning too. If you find a golden wheel or something like that you spin with whoever gets the 3 wheels.

I couldn't help but count up the instances of each amount on the big wheel for this series (achieved, if you want to know, by starting at the €500,000 segment and working clockwise)... :o;)

18 x €20,000
    16 x €22,000
    16 x €24,000
    14 x €25,000
    14 x €30,000
    4 x €35,000
    4 x €40,000
    4 x €50,000
    2 x €60,000
    2 x €75,000
    4 x €100,000
    1 x €250,000
    1 x €500,000

So the player has a 10% - or 1 in 10 - chance of winning more than €50,000, which is probably fair enough.

However, the player only has a 22% chance - less than 1 in 4 - of winning more than €30,000.

Maybe the possibility of two players spinning the wheel in each episode has something to do with this - but it still feels like further meanness on the part of the new owners of the Lottery. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Interesting contestant on this weekend:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/criminal-edward-hutch-set-to-appear-on-winning-streak-31531016.html

A quick google search will through up an interesting past...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

As much as I was relieved to have WS back it's clearly evident the contestants are winning very little money and the wheel looks like it's rigged to win nothing more than 30k.

M

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Interesting contestant on this weekend:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/criminal-edward-hutch-set-to-appear-on-winning-streak-31531016.html

A quick google search will through up an interesting past...

Such a pity it's not live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Anyone watching tonight.
    The Monks nephew is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Anyone watching tonight.
    The Monks nephew is on.

Ever get the slightly uneasy vibe that's in the air? There are some sorts in the audience you wouldn't like to meet on a dark night either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Ever get the slightly uneasy vibe that's in the air? There are some sorts in the audience you wouldn't like to meet on a dark night either.
    ha, ha, Marty sounds hysterical :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This has been a letdown so far, I wanted to see Marty threatened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Well, UC has questions in it and WS doesn't... ;)

But RTE and the National Lottery have been making this claim for several years - even when Wetten, Dass...? was still going.

Wetten-dass.jpg

This was the original German version of You Bet!, and it ended last year having run for 33 years - nearly a decade longer than the 'Streak.

And surely it, and YB!, were games of chance - all the contestants had to do was predict whether or not a challenge would be completed successfully...
    Countdown is surely a game show rather than a quiz show; as is its predecessor Des Chiffres et Des Lettres (France, 1965 - present)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

yes, Wikipedia claims Countdown to be the longest gameshow and WS second.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone watching tonight.
    The Monks nephew is on.

First time I've watched this in years...to see Gerry Hutch lol. Fair play to Sinead, handled it very well, can't have been easy.

M

Viewing figures up 30k for appearance of Edward Hutch...

http://www.thejournal.ie/winning-streak-hutch-figures-2353209-Sep2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Rumours that Christy Kinehan is being approached to guest on the Christmas special.

Bump!

I see that the golden wheel has departed more or less as quickly as it had arrived, and hence we're back to just one contestant spinning the big wheel in every episode - yet the numbers of instances of each amount on the big wheel have not changed.

Yes, I'm looking at you once again, you mean Canadians... :o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Bump!

I see that the golden wheel has departed more or less as quickly as it had arrived, and hence we're back to just one contestant spinning the big wheel in every episode - yet the numbers of instances of each amount on the big wheel have not changed.

Yes, I'm looking at you once again, you mean Canadians... :o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Well, I don't know if you caught last Saturday night's edition of Winning Streak on RTÉ One but after the contestant won 40K on the Big Wheel + earlier winnings which came to a Total of €58,000 Marty & Sinéad bid everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - There was none of the usual customary quip from Marty Whelan at the very end: How do ya PLAY? Ya go out a BUY a Ticket! See you all again on January 9th, 2016! Is this the 1st Christmas time that Winning Streak has taken a prolonged break in transmission?

Well, I don't know if you caught last Saturday night's edition of Winning Streak on RTÉ One but after the contestant won 40K on the wheel + earlier winnings which came to a Total of €58,000 Marty & Sinéad bid everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - There was none of the usual customary quip from Marty Whelan at the very end: How do ya PLAY? Ya go out a BUY a Ticket! See you all again on January 9th, 2016! Is this the 1st Christmas time that Winning Streak has taken a prolonged break in transmission?

It took a prolonged break from last Christmas to this summer while the Million Euro Challenge was on. Remember? :o:D;)

And it usually takes some sort of a break for Christmas, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

It took a prolonged break from last Christmas to this summer while the Million Euro Challenge was on. Remember? :o:D;)

And it usually takes some sort of a break for Christmas, anyway.

Ah well yeah of course :o:D;) I didn't mean the change of game to Nicky Byrne's lottery show that flopped as it was lacking in so many respects through no fault of Nicky either to be fair. The whole show concept was clearly not adequately tested among the general public as otherwise; it should never have actually made it to air.

In fact the Summer before last (June-August 2014), there was no weekly lottery show televised on RTÉ television. They did a "Money-Spinner" game draw and it went out on YouTube with Brian Ormond as the host.

Over the years, I always thought they kept Winning Streak going thru Christmas/New Year holiday period in previous Christmas times or maybe take one week off but this is 3 weeks off and you begin to wonder if this would impact in lottery scratch card sales at a time when some folk receive Christmas gifts in the form of money etc; - Surely, the show could have been re-scheduled for recording and re-broadcast later with alternative stand-in hosts like John Creedon, Derek Mooney if necessary? We all know this show never goes out live anyway! Furthermore, I'll never know why they require TWO presenters for Winning Streak these days especially when things are tighter! Marty Whelan could easily do it in his sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Winning Streak is yet again taking another 3 week break to be back on the 30th of January. :confused:

Just it there before the last break came on tonight. You might hear it again after the wheel is being spun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

Winning Streak is yet again taking another 3 week break to be back on the 30th of January. :confused:

The Fianna Fail Ard Fheis is on next Saturday and Fine Gael have theirs the following Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

brian_t wrote: »
    The Fianna Fail Ard Fheis is on next Saturday and Fine Gael have theirs the following Saturday.

Having said that...
    Last year the Fine Gael Ard Fheis was on Saturday February 21st, the Labour Ard Fheis was on Saturday February 28th, the Sinn Fein Ard Fheis was on Saturday March 7th and the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis was on Saturday April 25th.

The Million Euro Challenge was also on those four Saturdays.

The Million Euro Challenge started on Saturday January 10th and was on every single Saturday until the end of May. There was a 2 week break then before Winning Streak started on Saturday June 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Tim Reilly

Winning streak was always shown in the past on Ard Fheis nights, at the earlier time of 7 or 7.30. It's very obvious that the new owners are just being stingy

• Advertisement
    M

brian_t wrote: »

This stuff should go on the RTE News Now channel.

What happens the weekly draw for contestants during the break? Are they just all put in to one draw?

Advertisement