Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

game server

• 26-07-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Can someone give me an idea of what spec is needed for a basic game server to allow some mates play on. Looking at boxes on adverts but not sure whats better than others. Seems to be pleanty of items on there for €200+

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How long is a piece of string?

Depends on the game and the number of players. You'll have to research the specific games you play.

CSGO from reddit for example:
    I currently run 17 CSGO Game servers () and I have them on a combination of VPS's and Dedicated servers depending on the location and requirement.
    I would recommend it least 500 MB per SRCDS process you run, and a dedicated core to that process.
    Most of the servers that I'm hosting have 32 players at 128 tick. I've found that a typical server can easily eat up 500-700 MB and can take up an entire core when in use.

Focus on power efficiency if you plan on leaving it on for extended periods. Also ensure you've got the bandwidth to support all your mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

It will be more of play thing for a couple of mates, I have been told it will have Garrys Mod on it. Bandwidth is Eircom 8mbit unlimited.

So ideally looking to get their toes wet, would something like this suit or would they get away with less or need more. Thanks

http://www.adverts.ie/servers/dell-poweredge-2900-server/8387060

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maximum upstream bandwidth is gonna be 450kbps, wouldnt really be trying to host anything on that. You'd be better off renting a VPS.

Advertisement