Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gender Recognition

• 21-06-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Will this bill ever become an "act" or is it just a talking shop so the government can say "we are working on it" next time someone takes a human rights case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Will this bill ever become an "act" or is it just a talking shop so the government can say "we are working on it" next time someone takes a human rights case?

Yes of course it will become an Act.

Legislation takes time and actually while it is extremely bad that Lydia Foy took her case in 1997 and has been waiting this long the time this has taken has been hugely beneficial because Argentina, Denmark and Malta have provided excellent examples for us to bring in really progressive legislation.

My understanding is this will be through all Dail and Seanad stages before the Dail adjourns for Summer recess.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Any update on this?

Niemoj wrote: »
    Any update on this?

It appears it is delayed because of the appeals to the Marriage Equality referendum.

Basically the Attorney General asserted that constitutionally it was necessary to bring in forced divorce into this law. However given that we have just voted to amend our constitution it is no longer necessary.

The problem is the appeals on the referendum are having a knock on delay on the Gender Recocgnition Act. I know there was some some discussion that perhaps the legislation should go through temporarily with forced divorce but I dont think that will happen.

EDIT:

The bill went before the Dail last week and will go before the Seanad on Wednesday next week. It seems the bill will go through in the next week or two with forced divorce temporarily included.

http://www.teni.ie/news-post.aspx?contentid=1406

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The Gender Recognition Bill is before the Seanad tomorrow (July 15th) at 12.45

TENI

It passed the Seanad yesterday and now awaits President Higgins signature

Great day for Ireland

http://www.euronews.com/2015/06/26/ireland-s-transgender-revolution-winning-the-right-to-recognition/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/16/ireland-transgender-law-gender-recognition-bill-passed

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0715/715016-gender-recognition-bill/

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement