Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where is nice to live in Kildare??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Personally, I find that people from north Kildare have a tendency to ignore the problems of their own towns and paint south Kildare as anti-social and full of unemployed people, always makes me laugh. Every place has crime I was in Naas once and there was a murder scene at the main bus stop where a mother of three was stabbed, does this make Naas a kip? The place is full of robberies:
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/201/itemId/9482/Homes-targeted-in-latest-spate-of-Naas-burglaries.aspx
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/201/itemId/8029/Crime-in-Naas.aspx

Maynooth is a nice place but is always congested during the day due to college and schools like any area it has rough spots just type in Old Greenfield and you'll see what I mean. Also a lot of people complain about students behaviour and the university and the Gardai had to stop RAG week because of this anti-social behaviour. The shopping in Maynooth is an absolute joke as well, there is no cinema and a few of the pubs are run down. Oh and Maynooth is very expensive and not good value for money compared to other towns in Kildare. I lol'd at the poster that said Maynooth had no problems whatsoever how naive can you get.

Celbridge has a terrible atmosphere in my experience and a friend of mine that lives there said that there is a heroin problem in a few of the estates. Of all the towns I have been in Kildare this was the most unfriendly. Actually if you type in robberies in Celbridge into google you can see how rough the place actually is!! And the train station is really far from the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

So to sum up for the OP,

DON'T MOVE TO KILDARE

we are all heroin addled, murderous thieves down here.:eek:

All joking aside, all the towns mentioned have anti-social problems, directly proportional to their size.
    I'm living in Celbridge and find it great, in 8 years here i've seen the same amount of junkies as i've seen in Baggot St. in a day.

A lot of these problems are compounded by turning a blind eye, but I don't thimk this is just a Kildare problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

I have lived in Celbridge 10 years ( still a blow in :-) ) , I find it a nice place to live.

The connections with Dublin are good , you have a night bus , and the train . There is a shuttle service to the train station at peak hrs.

The facilities such as Castletown House are fantastic .

There are some anti social behaviour problems , like any town , for example the playground is a real problem spot for some reason.

I love the village feel to the place .

I come from / lived in London for 30 odd years before moving here , I know where I would rather bring up kids , and it isn't London for sure !

The Mulk wrote: »
    So to sum up for the OP,

DON'T MOVE TO KILDARE

we are all heroin addled, murderous thieves down here.:eek:

All joking aside, all the towns mentioned have anti-social problems, directly proportional to their size.
    I'm living in Celbridge and find it great, in 8 years here i've seen the same amount of junkies as i've seen in Baggot St. in a day.

A lot of these problems are compounded by turning a blind eye, but I don't thimk this is just a Kildare problem

That about sums it up!!;) Ah my post is tongue in cheek. If you look hard enough at any place you'll find problems. I don't judge Naas just because I happened in there once and there was a murder scene or the fact that Maynooth and Celbridge have a few problems here and there. Every place has its problems/good points regardless of social composition.

Nhead wrote: »
    That about sums it up!!;) Ah my post is tongue in cheek. If you look hard enough at any place you'll find problems. I don't judge Naas just because I happened in there once and there was a murder scene or the fact that Maynooth and Celbridge have a few problems here and there. Every place has its problems/good points regardless of social composition.

Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Personally, I find that people from north Kildare have a tendency to ignore the problems of their own towns and paint south Kildare as anti-social and full of unemployed people, always makes me laugh.

Maynooth is a nice place but is always congested during the day due to college and schools like any area it has rough spots just type in Old Greenfield and you'll see what I mean. Also a lot of people complain about students behaviour and the university and the Gardai had to stop RAG week because of this anti-social behaviour. The shopping in Maynooth is an absolute joke as well, there is no cinema and a few of the pubs are run down. Oh and Maynooth is very expensive and not good value for money compared to other towns in Kildare. I lol'd at the poster that said Maynooth had no problems whatsoever how naive can you get.

Well yeah most people would look at the south of the county like that because its true.
    As regards Maynooth, 1 housing estate that doesn't really bother anyone. Go hang around inside yeah you might be in a spot of bother then, but it does not affect the town. They stopped RAG week because the town couldn't cope with the numbers on main street at around half 2 in the morning. Cars couldn't get by as the crowd was that big. Their night life is by far the best in this county, Mantra is probably seen as one of the best night clubs in Ireland. Shoppings a joke in the town? They have a Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Elverys, Easons and a load of other shops in Manor Mills, so its clear you haven't been in Maynooth in a long time! Why would any town in North Kildare need a cinema? Liffey Valley is about a 10min drive from Maynooth.
    I'm not too up to date on house prices in the area, but I would imagine they are more expensive than towns in the South as they are located near Dublin.

kildare9 wrote: »
    Well yeah most people would look at the south of the county like that because its true.
    As regards Maynooth, 1 housing estate that doesn't really bother anyone. Go hang around inside yeah you might be in a spot of bother then, but it does not affect the town. They stopped RAG week because the town couldn't cope with the numbers on main street at around half 2 in the morning. Cars couldn't get by as the crowd was that big. Their night life is by far the best in this county, Mantra is probably seen as one of the best night clubs in Ireland. Shoppings a joke in the town? They have a Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Elverys, Easons and a load of other shops in Manor Mills, so its clear you haven't been in Maynooth in a long time! Why would any town in North Kildare need a cinema? Liffey Valley is about a 10min drive from Maynooth.
    I'm not too up to date on house prices in the area, but I would imagine they are more expensive than towns in the South as they are located near Dublin.

Spoken like a true Naas man. Everything is subjective was the point of my post. I was in Maynooth last month I love giving lectures in the college and the new English Dept.is a joy to behold although it is not the same without the bridge but the new library is long overdue. I (here is the subjective part of the post)was never that impressed with manor mills a bit generic IMO and took away from the character of the town and hasn't aged well even though it is not that old. Well, again whilst I was working in the university the problem with RAG week was a little more complicated than what you are saying(yes I worked and from South Kildare God it would probably blow your mind if you found out where I was from!!!) Mantra yeah if that is your thing fair enough. As for the cinema (and again this is just my opinion I stress) not everyone has a car and they might like one in their area. The old cinema in Naas had character, the new one not so much but hey that is only my opinion but then you know us South Kildare people we eat our own young!! Seriously though read post 65 t'is all in jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

I could not stop laughing at this.

Laughing at yourself then ?, oh the lower class..

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

airmax87 wrote: »
    Laughing at yourself then ?, oh the lower class..
    Ah culchies!:rolleyes: I'm middle class.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Moon Indigo

From Dublin lived in a few places and have lived in Newbridge and have been living in rural North Kildare 6 years now.
    Newbridge is grand just keep an eye on what estate you end up in as some are on the fairly rough side. I suppose this can be said of anywhere but still if your going to live there full time it has to be a serious consideration.
    Newbridge has excellent transport, decent schools etc etc.
    Naas is nice never lived there but live close enough and it seems grand.
    Clane is nice and again good for schools, transport, amenities etc.
    Prosperous is nice not busy and probably a bit small but has schools etc and again close enough to everything. It is also somewhat cheaper house price wise than Clane.

The list could go on but your really best to come down and cheak out the feel of the place in general. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

MaceFace wrote: »
    Being a resident of North Kildare, let me share a few anecdotes about the various towns in North Kildare.

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but Athy and Kildare town are commonly believed to be the two of the worst towns in the county. It is mainly because of the high level of unemployment which inevitably leads to anti-social behaviour and crime. I don't think it is the crime that is as much a worry as the anti-social behaviour that is the thing that grates most people.

See this thread for an example of the views of people of Athy.

Maynooth is generally cheaper than many similar sized towns in the area because it is still somewhat of a student town. You can get more bang for your buck because of this.

Clane appears to be nice. I know people who live there and I have never really heard anything bad about the place.

Newbridge. Well, it depends where in Newbridge you are talking about. I remember the first time I thought Newbridge was not the nice place I always thought it was. I was on the train, getting off in Naas and there were two lads talking. One had cuts and bruises and was boasting about how he was in a fight at the weekend in a pub and thats what caused his injuries. Looking at the pair of them, they "looked the sort". I mentioned this to someone I knew from Newbridge and they said that happens often and it can be a very rough town at times, depending on where you go. This was about 5 years ago. I do know others who live there and from my visits to the town, it does seem decent enough. Decent amenities.

Naas - I do like this town. Pretty quiet and getting quieter in comparison to what it was. Shops closing down and the mainstreet is struggling. Not rough, and some older estates with decent sized houses and long time residents. Very rare to hear anything bad about it (apart from it struggling economically).

EDIT: I should just also add that I expect a number of replies from people disagreeing with my opinion because everyone is naturally defensive about where they live and don't want to hear people say bad things about it.

We found Maynooth to be one of the most expensive towns in North Kildare but we needed to be on the train line.
    I am still always surprised at how small Maynooth is population wise.

Ah culchies!:rolleyes: I'm middle class.

But because you mentioned your class you are lower middle class:D

But because you mentioned your class you are lower middle class:D
    Yes I'm part of the struggling tennis playing, pesto eating, university going demographic. That being said I am pretty broke.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clairey2

I would love to know OP have u made any further decisions based on this thread.lots of conflicting arguments!

PSTC wrote: »
    County Kildare as a whole is nice place to life we have everything that dublin has we have great road systems, all the shopping, nightlife you could want, adaquate schooling facilities. I personally was born in Loais but lifed in different parts of Kildare I.e Browstown, Newbridge, Coill-dubh, kill & back to coill-dubh. I love living in Kildare and like dublin and every county it has its bad sides too but i would recommend living in Kildare its a nice place to live regardless off where in the County
    Ah, in fairness the nightlife is pretty sh1te. Proximity to Dublin is a help though.

PSTC wrote: »
    how is it that bad? what is there in Dublin except pubs alot more pubs & clubs then down here in Kildare?
    This. Also proper concert venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Well if you want to leave Dublin Culture and the general idea of Dublin I wouldn't recommend Naas.

• Nearly all of the population of Naas is practically from Dublin so ye have the Dublin accents and all that.
    • House Prices - Naas always had the highest house prices in County Kildare, obviously reduced now.
    • Traffic.... you probably already know :eek:
    • Retail... consists mainly of huge retail parks and ind estates and large shops eg Tesco Hyper
    • Suburbia.... especially the Monread district, Naas has been swamped with Urban Sprawl.
    The North East towns , Naas , Leixlip , Maynooth, Celbridge etc are really not Kildare anymore,

If ye want Kildare try Kildare Town , Monasterevin , Newbridge etc

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Is nobody going to speak up for Dunlavin,Killcock,Ballitore,Castledermot,Kildangan.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Well if you want to leave Dublin Culture and the general idea of Dublin I wouldn't recommend Naas.

• House Prices - Naas always had the highest house prices in County Kildare, obviously reduced now.

The North East towns , Naas , Leixlip , Maynooth, Celbridge etc are really not Kildare anymore,

Maynooth was and is still the dearest.
    I'd say Naas was third or fourth in price due to lack of transport and distance from Dublin.
    It's a great town though and i'd be happy to live there.
    I've always found Kildare town and Newbridge too clannish,although that was about 5 years ago when we had friends living in both

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I would not rate Newbridge as a place to live either! I'm stuck here at the moment although leaving next month. One long flat characterless street. It is not a friendly town and there is little to do. It does have the Curragh for walks etc. And yes it does have plenty of shops if that's what you want? In fact it feels like living in one big shopping centre! The traffic in Newbridge can be a nightmare at times too!

For me Naas is a nicer town both aesthetically and to live in. Far more character, friendlier, better nightlife and food. Plus there is the canal for lovely family walks. No comparison! I will not miss anything about Newbridge and I have lived and worked in all 4 provinces.

• Advertisement

• Nearly all of the population of Naas is practically from Dublin so ye have the Dublin accents and all that.
    • Traffic.... you probably already know :eek:
    • Retail... consists mainly of huge retail parks and ind estates and large shops eg Tesco Hyper
    • Suburbia.... especially the Monread district, Naas has been swamped with Urban Sprawl.

Half of Newbridge is now from Dublin???

The Mulk wrote: »
    Maynooth was and is still the dearest.
    I'd say Naas was third or fourth in price due to lack of transport and distance from Dublin.
    It's a great town though and i'd be happy to live there.
    I've always found Kildare town and Newbridge too clannish,although that was about 5 years ago when we had friends living in both

Oh is it?:)

When we moved house in Naas, we were told by the realtors that if ye got a house in Newbridge and put it in Naas, yed have to add another 200-300,000 onto the price back in the boom times. When we bought back in 2006, full housing estates in Naas where going over 1.3m for each house in them particularly for Tipper Road area

Gingko wrote: »
    Half of Newbridge is now from Dublin???

ah no Newbridge , is full on culchie :D

ah no Newbridge , is full on culchie :D

It's full on boredom! :D

Oh is it?:)

When we moved house in Naas, we were told by the realtors that if ye got a house in Newbridge and put it in Naas, yed have to add another 200-300,000 onto the price back in the boom times. When we bought back in 2006, full housing estates in Naas where going over 1.3m for each house in them particularly for Tipper Road area

Naas was/is always dearer than Newbridge, but comparing like for like in Naas to say Maynooth or Leixlip, Naas house prices were 30-40K cheaper.
    Although these houses were 4 beds with garages/play rooms.circa 450k to 500k
    Admittedly we weren't looking at the 1m plus houses:)

Ah Newbridge does have things to do, but the Whitewater had destroyed the feel of town. I saw a fantastic English company do a production of Macbeth in the Riverbank and Jape and Lisa Hannigan were there last month. They also have comedians, films, photography exhibitions and theatre for kids. Sports are fairly well served with Moorefield and Sarsfield, Newbridge Town FC and Newbridge Rugby oh and the Boxing Club at the Ryston (which also does bowls). Obviously there is the county ground and a very good library. I like the walk on the Liffey it is a lot better than it used to be. Flanagans pub in the backstreet has some good bands and they are all free to see. A friend of mine is running a music night getting some great local acts i.e. We are Losers, Appo and Band on an Island with bands from all over the country such as Mighty Stef and Neon Wolf. There is a nice pool place for teens but a local group is getting a place together called Culture Factory which will be run by young people for young people and will include arts, music and other cultural facilities. I am not from Newbridge but the vast
    majority of people I have met there are usually friendly. I suppose any place is what you make of it.

Ah Newbridge does have things to do, but the Whitewater had destroyed the feel of town. I saw a fantastic English company do a production of Macbeth in the Riverbank and Jape and Lisa Hannigan were there last month. They also have comedians, films, photography exhibitions and theatre for kids. Sports are fairly well served with Moorefield and Sarsfield, Newbridge Town FC and Newbridge Rugby oh and the Boxing Club at the Ryston (which also does bowls). Obviously there is the county ground and a very good library. I like the walk on the Liffey it is a lot better than it used to be. Flanagans pub in the backstreet has some good bands and they are all free to see. A friend of mine is running a music night getting some great local acts i.e. We are Losers, Appo and Band on an Island with bands from all over the country such as Mighty Stef and Neon Wolf. There is a nice pool place for teens but a local group is getting a place together called Culture Factory which will be run by young people for young people and will include arts, music and other cultural facilities. I am not from Newbridge but the vast
    majority of people I have met there are usually friendly. I suppose any place is what you make of it.

Nice to hear of the "Culture Factory". Badly needed and hope it works out. Yea the Riverbank are doing their best and not a bad daytime café either.

Some places have more geographical advantages and heritage then others surely? Coastline, mountains, architecture etc. I just think that Newbridge has a dull, flat, grim feel to it. Sorry! I've lived in Galway, Cork, Dingle, Westport, Sligo, Dublin and Drogheda, this is the first town I've disliked. But fair enough, different courses for different horses. :)

Gingko wrote: »
    [/B]

Nice to hear of the "Culture Factory". Badly needed and hope it works out. Yea the Riverbank are doing their best and not a bad daytime café either.

Some places have more geographical advantages and heritage then others surely? Coastline, mountains, architecture etc. I just think that Newbridge has a dull, flat, grim feel to it. Sorry! I've lived in Galway, Cork, Dingle, Westport, Sligo, Dublin and Drogheda, this is the first town I've disliked. But fair enough, different courses for different horses. :)

No need to apologise, there are always places that people just don't take too. Kildare has a very rich heritage if ya know where to look:)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Crookstown, Ballitore.
    I live there and I really think it's great. Halfway between Kilcullen and Castledermot.
    15 minutes from Carlow on the motorway. It's also got it's own slip road off the motorway.
    New link road to Athy.

Local amenities
    Spar
    Petrol station
    4 Pubs
    2 take away in local area.
    Primary school
    Secondary school about 5km away.
    Church
    Hardware
    Fashion outlet
    tyre repairs
    surgery
    post office
    Average price for house in the Paddocks is 180k or rent at about 700-800 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

KenSwee wrote: »
    Crookstown, Ballitore.
    I live there and I really think it's great. Halfway between Kilcullen and Castledermot.
    15 minutes from Carlow on the motorway. It's also got it's own slip road off the motorway.
    New link road to Athy.

Local amenities
    Spar
    Petrol station
    4 Pubs
    2 take away in local area.
    Primary school
    Secondary school about 5km away.
    Church
    Hardware
    Fashion outlet
    tyre repairs
    surgery
    post office
    Average price for house in the Paddocks is 180k or rent at about 700-800 pm.

What makes it better then all the other towns mentioned though?

Advertisement