Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Wasn't directing anybody, IM sure IM allowed to share my opinion as I have suffered from severe depression so I have experienced my own battles, it may be valuable to some,...I am not telling people not to take meds, I said no need for meds as in my own experience, how dare you :-\

a) yes, you can share your experience and opinion, that's what this thread is for

b) you, or others here, cannot advisepeople against prescription meds, which is exactly what your post did- see the quote in my earlier post "my advice- no need to visit for prescription". if you want to post that you felt prescribed meds were not required for you, go right ahead. however, don't post that others should follow this 'advice'.

c) I 'dare' because I'm a mod of this forum and it's strictly moderated precisely to prevent such misguided and irresponsible 'advice' being given to people who may be very ill, vulnerable and desperate. furthermore, one of the oldest and strictest rules on this entire site is that no medical advice is given, and telling people they don't need to go to the doctor for prescription meds falls under that remit.

d) another rule on this site is that if you have a problem with a mod instruction you PM the mod to discuss it, rather than drag the thread off topic. so if you have an issue with this post please pm me to discuss it and don't discuss it on thread.

d)

Doing really badly at the moment and not even sure why. :( Been getting drunk by myself in my bedroom for the past two nights, avoiding contact with friends, housemates and family as much as possible....listening to music and watching DVDs so at least I haven't completely lost interests...guess that's a small positive?
    Tomorrow I have no choice but to face the world and get back into a routine of hard work and exam revision. By this time next week, or even this time 24 hours, I could be feeling really good again.....but I'm not betting on it. :( I'm mindful of relying in alcohol too much but it seems like I don't have many other outlets right now, at least not on weekends....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Doing really badly at the moment and not even sure why. :( Been getting drunk by myself in my bedroom for the past two nights, avoiding contact with friends, housemates and family as much as possible....listening to music and watching DVDs so at least I haven't completely lost interests...guess that's a small positive?
    Tomorrow I have no choice but to face the world and get back into a routine of hard work and exam revision. By this time next week, or even this time 24 hours, I could be feeling really good again.....but I'm not betting on it. :( I'm mindful of relying in alcohol too much but it seems like I don't have many other outlets right now, at least not on weekends....

How are you feeling now? I'm doing pretty ok at the moment.. And of course i find it scary. When are your exams? Hopefully after them you'll be able to focus on something you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

All over the place :(

How are you feeling now? I'm doing pretty ok at the moment.. And of course i find it scary. When are your exams? Hopefully after them you'll be able to focus on something you enjoy.

I have one Monday and one on Wednesday the week after. I've done no revision yet though, I keep putting it off. I'm seemingly unable to just buckle down at the moment, even though I know I have to. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi all,

I have severe anxiety and panic, and depression. Currently on Valium, Amitriptyline, Zispin and Lyrica.
    How is everyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Homer, i hope you get through the exams ok.. Some people study better when it's closer to deadlines, hopefully that'll be the case for you.

Pinkstars, welcome to the thread, hope we'll be able to provide a bit of company throughout the ups and downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

pinkstars wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have severe anxiety and panic, and depression. Currently on Valium, Amitriptyline, Zispin and Lyrica.
    How is everyone?

Welcome to the Thread... I'm doing OK at the minute... Except some apathetic and anxious phases...But I've been a lot worse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Have hit a bit of a speed bump after a few weeks of positivity. Nothing too major, just awful difficulty getting out of bed and a general apathy towards life! I started with my new therapist yesterday so maybe it was all the talking that brought me a bit down.

I just had to go my GP - although my usual GP wasn't on.

I am getting severe panic attacks in work.........she asked will she sign me out but there is no way I would go off, as I know I would not get to work again........

Help me please!

• Advertisement

I just had to go my GP - although my usual GP wasn't on.

I am getting severe panic attacks in work.........she asked will she sign me out but there is no way I would go off, as I know I would not get to work again........

Help me please!

Have you discussed your issues with a colleague or manager in work?. People can be surprisingly understanding about this these days..

Yes I discussed with Employee Assistance when I first returned to work.....
    Maybe I need to go back again. The problem seems to be tea breaks at the canteen, I don't think I should avoid the canteen as my doctor just said as I am only giving into this anxiety ruining my life.

I have had a hard few weeks. My brother is very ill now and is ringing me a lot about his situation as a result I had to get an increase in my medication.
    To top it all off he went to take his own life too, and rang to tell me he bought a rope yesterday but then showed them in the hospital.
    It is all a cry for help.
    As a result my weight has gone up lbs in the past week, I am shoving food into my mouth - comfort eating.
    I really need to take care of myself too at the moment, I had to be carried out of work last week when I got the call.

My sister and her ex husband are in court today re custody of the children.

I can't seem to deal with much more, or cope even. I just think its one thing after another.

Yes I discussed with Employee Assistance when I first returned to work.....
    Maybe I need to go back again. The problem seems to be tea breaks at the canteen, I don't think I should avoid the canteen as my doctor just said as I am only giving into this anxiety ruining my life.

I have had a hard few weeks. My brother is very ill now and is ringing me a lot about his situation as a result I had to get an increase in my medication.
    To top it all off he went to take his own life too, and rang to tell me he bought a rope yesterday but then showed them in the hospital.
    It is all a cry for help.
    As a result my weight has gone up lbs in the past week, I am shoving food into my mouth - comfort eating.
    I really need to take care of myself too at the moment, I had to be carried out of work last week when I got the call.

My sister and her ex husband are in court today re custody of the children.

I can't seem to deal with much more, or cope even. I just think its one thing after another.

That's a serious amount going on with people around you. :( Re: avoiding the canteen do if you feel like it's adding to things - i rarely ever sit in canteen. I don't make it a thing too much though..

Your brother is receiving assistance and your sister can do nothing except what the court decides, try to take a couple of slow deep breaths when it gets heavy.

Employee assistance may be a help for a short interval, maybe you need a little extra time off...

I go to the canteen you see to see my friends. What do you do when you don't go to the canteen?
    Maybe I should use that time to do my mindfulness. Has anyone ever tried this?

I went to the canteen there just after my GP told me not too and my body just seized up, I had to leave.

P'eed off.......

I go to the canteen you see to see my friends. What do you do when you don't go to the canteen?
    Maybe I should use that time to do my mindfulness. Has anyone ever tried this?

I went to the canteen there just after my GP told me not too and my body just seized up, I had to leave.

P'eed off.......

I work across various shifts so don't really have friends there. So feel too nervous to go and just have my break in my office..

I listen to a mindfulness cd but the book is kinda boring i think. I like the relaxation exercises on the cd..

I work across various shifts so don't really have friends there. So feel too nervous to go and just have my break in my office..

I listen to a mindfulness cd but the book is kinda boring i think. I like the relaxation exercises on the cd..

What's the book you have? I would love to pick up a new one! And if the exercises are good, even better!!

What's the book you have? I would love to pick up a new one! And if the exercises are good, even better!!

It's called Brilliant Mindfulness by Cheryl A Rezek. It's orange as there are a range of them on different topics, has a cd with which, for a cynic such as myself, was surprisingly helpful. Got it in eason so should be readily available.

I have it.
    I think I have a collection of books unread and unlistened too!
    Job for the night - dig that one out!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks

I am so unbelievably tired right now but avoiding taking sleepers as I can feel myself needing them & I don't want to be having to try wean myself off them.

I also have horrific urges to hurt myself.

Hersheys wrote: »
    I am so unbelievably tired right now but avoiding taking sleepers as I can feel myself needing them & I don't want to be having to try wean myself off them.

I also have horrific urges to hurt myself.

Hope you got through the night ok..

• Advertisement

It's called Brilliant Mindfulness by Cheryl A Rezek. It's orange as there are a range of them on different topics, has a cd with which, for a cynic such as myself, was surprisingly helpful. Got it in eason so should be readily available.

Would you believe I couldn't find the book last night. Looked at my CD's and it was there!! I suppose reading isn't that good anyway, practising is the thing.

I got myself organised and I listened to the CD at 8........fell asleep and my brother called just as I woke.

Oh my, it made such a change to me, I was so relaxed.

Hope you got through the night ok..

Not really. No sleep (nodded off around 6.30) & I scratched my leg :( bound to happen, fallout from the talking, but not gonna get bogged down by it.

How are you?

Hersheys wrote: »
    Not really. No sleep (nodded off around 6.30) & I scratched my leg :( bound to happen, fallout from the talking, but not gonna get bogged down by it.

How are you?

Hopefully coffee will keep you going today. Yeah the psych stuff can be draining, hope that this one stays for the long haul with you.

Well the way she was talking it seems like it's gonna be long haul thank God! And she already read my scribbles, yeay!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Exams are going ok, although today's one was a bit of a blank, just didn't have any concentration for it. Arm is ruined though, cutting more cos of the exams, and got to go to hospital in the morning for psychiatrist.

Two exams left though so almost there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Hi all,

I'm not looking for meds advice - just a side effect that I'm wondering how others might handle.

i take a sedative a night, which is great for sleep and anxiety. BUT it means that I fall into a very deep sleep. So deep that I obviously don't move around enough during the night as I keep waking up with a sore neck. Whatever position I fall asleep in, that's how I wake the next morning.

Any thoughts/ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

neemish wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm not looking for meds advice - just a side effect that I'm wondering how others might handle.

i take a sedative a night, which is great for sleep and anxiety. BUT it means that I fall into a very deep sleep. So deep that I obviously don't move around enough during the night as I keep waking up with a sore neck. Whatever position I fall asleep in, that's how I wake the next morning.

Any thoughts/ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

What's your pillow situation and sleeping position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Have one of those memory foam pillows. I think the problem at the moment is that within a short space of time, i go into deep sleep and whatever way I land, that's the position of my neck. So I woke this morning with my neck touching my chest - and I was in agony!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It could be the hangover from the medication? I found on any sort of medication my mouth/body would be very dehydrated making me feel kinda sore every where, especially neck/shoulders. Drinking lots of water helped.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Do you sleep on your back? I sleep on my front/side so my head stays supported on the pillow, and bizzarely I find those memory foam things useless for neck pain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement