Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WHY ARE WE FOOLS ? WHAT HAVE WE BECOME ?

• 30-05-2009 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Lisbon no, democracy yes: why we must reject the Lisbon treaty.

There was considerable furore in Europe when the Irish electorate rejected the Lisbon treaty in the referendum last year. Suddenly the eyes of the more powerful turned to Ireland in shock as they watched their prized treaty falter, then fail. You see they had reason to be surprised for they had been assured by our leaders that the treaty would be passed, for after all they had all the main parties and the media cheerleading it up till polling day. Then something remarkable happened. The people said no. the people defied the wish of the politicians. A shocking development? Well no not really. For the politicians are in fact nothing more than the powerful and elite. Whilst one time they may have represented the man on the street they are at this stage completely out of touch with the day to day struggles of thousands of Irish people. Their arrogance in expecting the people to follow orders and vote as they told them was breathtaking. Their years of treating the people as expendable and powerless to stop them came crashing down and they were forced to turn to their puppet masters in Brussels to explain. Only they didnt. they didnt explain that the people didnt want the treaty that they were sick of a corrupt and incompetent government. Instead they passed it off as a minor hitch in the overall plan. The treaty would be rerun. The treaty would be passed whether by consent or by force.

Those of us ranged in opposition were not surprised by this measure. This government has no other option for they have become enthralled with the European project. they find much to admire in this project. For it ensures that a minority will dictate the lives of millions from positions of power, prestige and cronyism. For them Europe is merely a wider version of their activities on Irish soil. They care little for the rights of the Irish workers so long as they are receiving a healthy pay packet from Brussels. They will sell off Irish rights to govern our own nation so long as they have their bellys scratched by Sarkozy and company. We have Fianna Fail the so called republican party trying their utmost to ensure the sacrifice of thousands of Irishmen to secure our independence was in vain. We are told that we will have a place in Europe. I have no doubt we will. As a powerless federalist outpost whose fate is decided upon by faceless bureaucrats who have never set foot here. Our future choices will not be ours to make. The fact that the politicians pushing this treaty have in most cases not even read it is remarkable. They have signed off on it but couldnt find the time to actually comprehend what they were doing. Ah but sure why worry its only our future their compromising not theirs. For this is the crux of the issue. When Cowen says Lisbon is a good deal he believes it, because it is a good deal. For him. For the rest of the country who dont earn 250 grand a year the results will be a little different. Workers rights are already being eroded across the EU but under Lisbon they will be subjected to a sustained assault by the ruling class.

For Lisbon will see the working class of Ireland and the working class of Europe subjected and humiliated by the neo liberal capitalists who want to replicate the American free market economy policies that have caused so much deprivation in the united states. We must vote no in solidarity with our comrades across the continent, we must vote no because they havent been given the opportunity. We have been given an opportunity to strike a blow for the voiceless who have been sidelined in this new inclusive European dream. We have already seen the fishermen of Ireland treated like criminals and subjected to crushing quotas that are imposed so that French and Spanish trawlers can invade our territorial waters in droves to over fish our waters now that they have depleted their own marine resources. This type of activity will continue as we watch our autonomy and nationality eroded to turn us into another outpost of the united states of Europe.

This is why all true Irish people must oppose this treaty. It is an assault on the working class and it is an assault on the Irish people and their historic and unfulfilled right to nationhood. The issue of Irish sovereignty must take precedent before discussing any wider European initiatives. I cannot and will not accept the Irish people being treated as a distracting irrelevance however by the European union and no self respecting Irish citizen should treat the rerun of Lisbon as anything other than an affront to our country.

So I believe that we must vote no to Lisbon 2. I believe we must vote no to discrimination, bureaucracy, arrogance, privilege, exploitation. I believe we must vote no to preserve our most important attribute. Our refusal to submit to foreign oppression. As Ireland has resisted and continues to resist the occupation by Britain let us also resist occupation by faceless lawmakers who decide our the future for Irish generations to follow. Let us resist attempts to subdue us through fear and media manipulation. The Irish people must have unfettered control over their own destiny. Ensure that we do. Vote no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Blah blah blah blah.

Same story, different forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Irishsheep

Blah blah blah blah.

A quick glance through some of your other posts and its clear to see you are not even Irish, regardless of your birth right. You are a plastic, hollow, pointless, cultureless, idiotic troll

Same idiot, different forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Irishsheep wrote: »
    A quick glance through some of your other posts and its clear to see you are not even Irish, regardless of your birth right. You are a plastic, hollow, pointless, cultureless, idiotic troll

Same idiot, different forum

Op, you first post wasn't bad, raised some interesting points in my mind.

But you fortunately your soiled it with this post.

For the record I've been swaying towards the no vote, I'd vote yes if certain concessions were made and there wasn't such a big question mark over how much power this could or could not potentially give Europe over Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Irishsheep

Only a troll would respond to an OP thread with such an idiotic and indifferent blah,blah,blah However having looked through your past posts Im not surprised, blah,blah.blah seems to pretty much sum up you and your pitiful existance doesnt it ? Your indifferent to everything from what I can gather, so Ill keep with my original observation . . .you are pointless although I suspect you do have some entertainment value :)
    hobochris wrote: »
    But you fortunately your soiled it with this post.

Not at all, it is people like this clown who have allowed our country to go down the toilet. Our goverment wouldnt be allowed to dupe us continuously if clowns like this guy werent the majority. He is the very same indifferent 'who cares' attitude that has destroyed democracy, our nation and allowed these gangsters to continue to stomp on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Lisbon no, democracy yes: why we must reject the Lisbon treaty.

You registered just to post this?

We already have more than enough specious nonsense on the Lisbon treaty; so thank you for your contribution, and we're not interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

To the OP

Well done and well said

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Only a troll would respond to an OP thread with such an idiotic and indifferent blah,blah,blah However having looked through your past posts Im not surprised, blah,blah.blah seems to pretty much sum up you and your pitiful existance doesnt it ? Your indifferent to everything from what I can gather, so Ill keep with my original observation . . .you are pointless although I suspect you do have some entertainment value :)

Woah woah woah, careful man.

I would defend myself but frankly I don't think I need to and have already got an infraction :pac:

What P. said above I'd agree with, this has been done to death and frankly, I don't think Irish politicians are smart enough to be part of this global elite ;)

Blah blah blah blah.

Looks like you have the answer for everything

We already have more than enough specious nonsense on the Lisbon treaty; so thank you for your contribution, and we're not interested.

speak for yourself.

I'm interested in the ops opinion as much as I am anyone else's opinion on the matter. after all this is a place of discussion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

You really didn't read or understand the Lisbon Treaty, did you?

• Advertisement

Dont speak for me please.

andrew wrote: »
    You really didn't read or understand the Lisbon Treaty, did you?

care to enlighten us? did you? If so care to explain what its about?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

Speak for yourself P Breathnach. If that is your only contribution perhaps its better you crawl back under your bed and bring your idiotic assumptions on what the rest of us want to read with you. If your not interested in anything that isnt wrote on the back of a cornflakes box, horrah for you . . . others here have an oppinion

Well done OP !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

hobochris wrote: »
    care to enlighten us? did you? If so care to explain what its about?

Well, I'm not going to write a giant word post explaining Lisbon in detail. It's not very hard to discover what it contains on your own. But I do know what's not in it, and I don't recall hearing of plans to ensure we're "subjected and humiliated by the neo liberal capitalists." In general, the post isn't really relevant to what's in Lisbon, it's just a hyper paranoid semi extremest rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

andrew wrote: »
    Well, I'm not going to write a giant word post explaining Lisbon in detail. It's not very hard to discover what it contains on your own. But I do know what's not in it, and I don't recall hearing of plans to ensure we're "subjected and humiliated by the neo liberal capitalists." In general, the post isn't really relevant to what's in Lisbon, it's just a hyper paranoid semi extremest rant.

As opposed to your seemingly vague insight into what Lisbon is ? I reckon you wont be writing anything more than a few lines because in all probability you cant !

As opposed to your seemingly vague insight into what Lisbon is ? I reckon you wont be writing anything more than a few lines because in all probability you cant !

How is Lisbon is gonna 'subjugate the working classes'? What valid points do you think the OP makes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I didn't read one single discernible fact just social nationalistic bluster. OP you should submit that piece to An Phoblacht, it seems more like your audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

. For it ensures that a minority will dictate the lives of millions

Indeed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I believe we must vote no to preserve our most important attribute. Our refusal to submit to foreign oppression. As Ireland has resisted and continues to resist the occupation by Britain let us also resist occupation by faceless lawmakers who decide our the future for Irish generations to follow

Indeed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This is why all true Irish people must oppose this treaty.

Yes comrade, we are the true Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

yeah i think it's disgraceful that it's being put to us again. they have as legitamite voting methods as stalin. the communist party was a democratically elected government, but that's because there was only one party to vote for. that is essentially what's happening here, they gave us 2 but we happened to pick the wrong one. legitamite my ****ing ass.

gavitron22 wrote: »
    yeah i think it's disgraceful that it's being put to us again. they have as legitamite voting methods as stalin. the communist party was a democratically elected government, but that's because there was only one party to vote for. that is essentially what's happening here, they gave us 2 but we happened to pick the wrong one. legitamite my ****ing ass.

I really don't think you lived in Stalin USSR and so can provide fair comparisons? Please provide links? Yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Wow! Is it something about bank holiday weekends and mentally unsound people visiting this forum? It was the same at Christmas when loads of CT'ers landed. What a horrible thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thread locked due to crap and certain people in it sharing IP addresses.

It may be reopened once I'm satisfied that there's no one taking the piss here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm satisfied enough that the OP is a sock puppet account of another poster on this thread (EnigmasWhisper).

I don't look well on second accounts being set up just to give the impression there's a very small tide towards a particular point of view so EnigmasWhisper, assume you're on very thin ice. Irishsheep sock puppet account site-banned. Don't do it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement