Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe is going American

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

SeanW wrote: »
    There's one on Capel St. too - the stuff they have is imported from the Phillipines.

In Limerick you can buy Mountain Dew in a few of the Spar shops around, its the same mountain dew which has been released in the UK under Mountain Dew Energy, over in the UK you can pretty much get mountain dew anywhere now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

opening soon another starbucks

Watch this post for more details

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    ‘We are rapidly losing our identity as a people. We are losing our specific national identity which has not been lost by the Dutch or the Belgians or the French or Italians.

Not so much the French or Italians but the Dutch have become very Americanised. They use Americans terms in everyday language and it's increasing rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Not so much the French or Italians but the Dutch have become very Americanised. They use Americans terms in everyday language and it's increasing rapidly.

The quotes from 1979 and is largely concerning Ireland, when both Europe and Ireland were considerably less Americanised than even now though Ireland was well on its way.

The quotes from 1979 and is largely concerning Ireland, when both Europe and Ireland were considerably less Americanised than even now though Ireland was well on its way.

Fair enough, I didn't see the year.

I think the whole thing about losing our identity is rubbish though anyway. What is our identity and why does having American brands eradicate it?

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Fair enough, I didn't see the year.

I think the whole thing about losing our identity is rubbish though anyway. What is our identity and why does having American brands eradicate it?

Yes I agree we began losing our identity a long time ago and it wasn't American brands, more so ourselves and the British colonialization.

Our identity is our language which we are freely giving up now due to British pressure in the past and self loathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

have a nice day mam!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Sounds good to me if only they brought the clothes shops over, might be able to afford to buy decent clothes without going to the other side of the world and pay $20 dollars for a pair of decent levis instead of €120

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

American culture is creeping into our very conversations at an alarming rate. Even here on boards i read posts which are riddled with american slang words & i think its a bit sad. Just be fcuking irish, just be yourself & stop trying to sound like some sort of dopey californian surfer person. Saying dude after every second word. Dude like really. Aww dude like wow....dude. Awesome. Hell yeah. omg. Like wow dude.

A few weeks ago someone started a thread about what their favourite soda was.....fcuking soda? Are you serious? Did you think using that word instead of fizzy drink or can of lemonade would get you a collective high five from the ah crowd?

Just be irish, we're kind of cool in our own clumsy way.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

American culture is creeping into our very conversations at an alarming rate. Even here on boards i read posts which are riddled with american slang words & i think its a bit sad. Just be fcuking irish, just be yourself & stop trying to sound like some sort of dopey californian surfer person. Saying dude after every second word. Dude like really. Aww dude like wow....dude. Awesome. Hell yeah. omg. Like wow dude.

A few weeks ago someone started a thread about what their favourite soda was.....fcuking soda? Are you serious? Did you think using that word instead of fizzy drink or can of lemonade would get you a collective high five from the ah crowd?

theres no need to attack people over using slang words, and the way a person talks does not make them Irish. In this modern day and age Ireland should be embracing different cultures and nationalities. Oh and the idea of Irish teenagers talking with american accents and slang is only a fad something new will come along maybe 10 or 15 years down the road and Irish teens will start replicating that

• Advertisement

Just be fcuking irish, just be yourself & stop trying to sound like some sort of dopey californian surfer person. Saying dude after every second word. Dude like really. Aww dude like wow....dude. Awesome. Hell yeah. omg. Like wow dude.

How about being whatever the fcuk you want to be? Surely that in itself is more 'Irish'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

There was a lad in my class in college and in first year someone asked him "So where in America are you from?" and to listen to him you really would think he was from America.

The lad was from Knocknaheeny of all places, most likely spent his free time watching American TV.

Since then I have seen others who also sound a bit American. One thing that strikes me is that they don't seem to be the happiest of characters and think lowly of this place.

Daegerty wrote: »
    There was a lad in my class in college and in first year someone asked him "So where in America are you from?" and to listen to him you really would think he was from America.

The lad was from Knocknaheeny of all places, most likely spent his free time watching American TV.

Since then I have seen others who also sound a bit American. One thing that strikes me is that they don't seem to be the happiest of characters and think lowly of this place.

Force feed Joyce Synge Yeats O Casey and Friel to all them and it should sort it out. It might give them an idea of what Irish culture is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Force feed Joyce Synge Yeats O Casey and Friel to all them and it should sort it out. It might give them an idea of what Irish culture is.

Its easier to just wait for them to leave to their "greener fields"

Advertisement