Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime on Netflix

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

Sieghardt wrote: »
    pretty bad selection, I understand anime isnt massively popular but I cant see how 400 bollywood films are any more appropriate for ireland. Oh well, I'm giving Birdy a spin

It's slowly catching up in terms of quantity and you have to keep in mind that it has to deal with the fact that a lot of shows have pre-existing licencing agreements in the UK which Netflix has to deal with in every genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

New stuff up: Rideback, Sands of Destruction, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Eden of the East (really wanted to see this).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Les56

Watched Redline the other night and it was really good! Anyone recommend anything else? Watched all the Ghost in the Shell etc. Is Gunslinger Girl worth a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

I really liked several episodes of Gunslinger Girl - can't remember if I became bored or why I did not finish the series. Watching Bodacious Space Pirates at the moment and really enjoying it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Les56

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    I really liked several episodes of Gunslinger Girl - can't remember if I became bored or why I did not finish the series. Watching Bodacious Space Pirates at the moment and really enjoying it ;)
    Excellent! I will definitely check it out! Watching D.Gray.Man atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

What the hell happened, am I the only one or has the anime selection been reduced to about 6 films lately, Why don't they have a large selection?

Starz media own the rights to a huge chunk of the anime & disney material on netflix, they had to renew their netflix contract last september and pretty much the deal went very south for netflix

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/01/technology/netflix_starz/?iid=EL
    But in June, hundreds of Sony (SNE) movies -- including high-profile titles like "The Social Network" and "Salt" -- abruptly vanished from Netflix's "watch now" catalog. In a blog post, Netflix pinned the blame on a "temporary contract issue."
    The issue, according to the L.A. Times, was that Starz' deal with Sony included a cap on the number of subscribers who can watch Sony movies online. Once Netflix's audience exceeded the cap, the contract was null.
    Netflix's vanished Sony films are an ominous sign
    Starz' catalog of Disney (DIS, Fortune 500) movies available for online streaming is on the verge of triggering a similar contractual cap, the newspaper reported.
    Netflix still has access to most of Starz' offerings, but its current deal with the network expires on Feb. 28, 2012. The two sides had been negotiating for months about an extension.
    Starz said Thursday that its decision to end the talks stems from "our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content."

As a result when march came around and the contract was finished netflix had to pull all the starz content which includes a lot of anime and most of the disney/sony material

watching baccanno myself right now. Really enjoying it even the narrative order makes some of the events feel bitty. Though saying that, I think it also saves it from being a series where you get long drawn out introspective monologues, something anime can be absolute b*tch to suffer through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Saw a slight update last week, first Eden of the East film is up as well as Hetalia: Axis Powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    Afraid you cant switch between versions short of going to the US :(
    Use a proxy, you get loads more :)

Advertisement