Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Good looking" Anime?

• 26-01-2015 12:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What anime for you are the best animated? I would like to see some that are visually pleasing!

Bonus points if it is a film. For me, I watched Garden of Words in the cinema last year and it was really well done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Wolf Children?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Equil

What anime for you are the best animated? I would like to see some that are visually pleasing!

Bonus points if it is a film. For me, I watched Garden of Words in the cinema last year and it was really well done.

Two other Makoto Shinkai films that I think are expertly animated are 5 Centimeters Per Second and Children Who Chase Lost Voices. I personally like the animation in Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop and Death Note also.

Edit: I just remembered another film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wolf children was really nice too.
    I think a lot of Makoto Shinkai's work seems pretty yep!

Some that catch my eye googling are k project and redline (although i dont think I like the way redline looks but it's still impressive)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Redline is hard to beat in terms of pure visual spectacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Paprika is pretty gorgeous too, or any of Satoshi Kon's movies really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Xander81

My brother used to watch those animes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dunno about any films that havent been mentioned already, but know a few series.

Have heard (and seen) good things from Rage of the Bahamut: Genesis

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works and Fate/Zero are pretty nice too.

Also check out some of P.A. Works series, very nice backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Man I'm really out of the loop... all these great looking anime and I'm watching just off Crunchyroll... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

lagrange: the flower of rin-ne looks great, unfortunetly the show pettered out and became boring towards the end.
    Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet looks great and is pretty good until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Literally anything from Studio 4°C. Tekkonkinkreet, Mind Game, Spriggan. Also Madhouse, who were behind the afforementioned Redline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have you seen Pyscho Pass? I thought it was beautiful, +1 for fate zero too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm watching psycho pass atm, it's great :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Aye tis a great series.

Psycho pass is a good anime but i wouldnt say the visuals were anything to write home about

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mrstrawman

Nichijou had really great animation, a lot was spent on it.

Madoka Magica's movie, 'Rebellion' has really neet visuals in my opinion, thought watch the TV series first.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Planetes was beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mushishi hasn't been said yet, which is a crime.
    Fantastic scenery.

The original series at least, still have to watch the new ones.

Kaiba looks different, I really liked that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

Bubblegum Crisis runs the gamut..... there's some moment where the animation slips, and others where you take a moment to realise it was al achieved by hand.

Fluid movement, lush, detailed backgrounds and those awesome 80's plasma effects that just don't exist anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WilsonIRL

Hyouka, 5cm Per Second and Voices of a Distant Star are fairly beautiful looking series. For older series, i'd probably go with Rahxephon and maybe MS Igloo. A good looking movie that I would recommend would be Sakasama no Patema.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 STintin

chitanda :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭holdithoncho

Terror in resonance and noragami are two which come to mind for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

There was on about a samurai sword fighting guy on TG4 about a decade ago. I like that :)

Mint Aero wrote: »
    There was on about a samurai sword fighting guy on TG4 about a decade ago. I like that :)

samurai jack? you can get better stuff than that around

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭IHeartYuki

These are my favourite shows with great visuals, in no particular order:

- Bakemonogatari. A humourous and serious look at Japanese ghost stories with a really unique visual style. You will need to pause a lot!
    - Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I don't care if you don't like magical girls, this is NOT the show you think it is.
    - FLCL. Six episodes of pure awesome by the people who brought you NGE.
    - Kill la Kill. So much going on visually in each episode it has to be seen to be believed.
    - Nichijou. Slice of life on an acid trip.

There's a lot of awesome movies out there too.

- Paprika. How do you animate a dreamscape?
    - Anything by Studio Ghibli, especially My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away.
    - Akira. Street punks and psychic powers.
    - Ghost in the Shell. In a world where everything is connected to the net what makes us human?

just watched space battleship 2199, great show and looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DannyGriff

Some big studios like Shaft and Tokyo Animation also have pretty high standard for animation quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Suisei no Gargantia! Just look at those colours... and the detail...!

...O YES! And: Howl's moving castle. Beautiful movie!

In fact all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies are a treat!
    My favourite one is "Spirited Away"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Rolling Girls had some very nice watercolor backgrounds.

hhur1LK.jpg

Hf9l0Ts.jpg

Advertisement