Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

24 volt jump start

• 02-03-2015 1:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭

Hi

in wondering if anyone can help me, I have a small Isuzu truck, 24 volt, battery's are dead, I have a 24 volt jump pack, but the battery's are so dead that it's only lighting up the dash board, it's not turning the engine

My question is... can I put the jump pack on one battery and put jump leads off a tractor onto the other battery ? A friend told me I could do damage this way, is this true ?but I have a feeling he knows about as much as I do about it, I only need to move it into a shed, so I don't want to buy new batteries, just get it started to move it out of my way

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Borrow a battery from some other piece of equipment? or a friend ? (short term)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

That's not what I asked, but thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭blackbox

whupdedo wrote: »
    Hi

in wondering if anyone can help me, I have a small Isuzu truck, 24 volt, battery's are dead, I have a 24 volt jump pack, but the battery's are so dead that it's only lighting up the dash board, it's not turning the engine

My question is... can I put the jump pack on one battery and put jump leads off a tractor onto the other battery ? A friend told me I could do damage this way, is this true ?but I have a feeling he knows about as much as I do about it, I only need to move it into a shed, so I don't want to buy new batteries, just get it started to move it out of my way

Thanks
    I wouldn't do that - you'll be putting 24V across a 12V battery. See if you can borrow a second 12V battery as well as the tractor battery (I assume tractor is 12V)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Your 24 volt system is made up from x2 12 volt batteries connected in series.
    Not recommended to use 24 volt jump starter on one 12 volt battery even if it is flat.

Sorry forgot to say, it's a 12volt battery starter too, it has a button you switch over to 12 volt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Sorry forgot to say, it's a 12volt battery starter too, it has a button you switch over to 12 volt

Just charge one battery at a time then reconnect them and ready to go !

Then you can put jump starter on one battery and jump start 2nd battery from another 12 volt vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Hi

Thanks
    if you have another vehicle to jump off of, just hook up the jump leads from the tractor to one battery with the tractor running and let it run for half an hour revved up a bit and it will charge the battery for you. then do the same with the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Did it work Op?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

visual wrote: »
    Then you can put jump starter on one battery and jump start 2nd battery from another 12 volt vehicle.

Would it be best to put the jump starter on the first battery of the truck?

• Advertisement

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Would it be best to put the jump starter on the first battery of the truck?

It will work on either but better on the battery that is connect positive 24 volt supply.

Then the jump leads from other vehicle will be to ground and the connection between battery's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

visual wrote: »
    It will work on either but better on the battery that is connect positive 24 volt supply.

Then the jump leads from other vehicle will be to ground and the connection between battery's.

Im thinking the opposite to you, im not disagreeing with you. I feel could the booster get damaged between the +24 and link?

Booster will be fine on either battery
    the only reason you want jump vehicle connected to ground is that you don't have to worry about bodies touching.

Hi , so I was talking to a mechanic who told me it's not the best thing to try and have a booster on 1 battery and jumps on the other, so he gave me a good battery to borrow, and told me to turn the booster to 12 volt, put the negative of the booster pack onto the positive of the spare good battery, then put the positive of the booster pack onto the positive of one of the lorry batteries, I then put a lead from the negative of the good battery to the negative on the lorry, and it started first try.

Don't ask me how it worked but he said you have to make a 24 volt circuit and that's the way to do it, I hope ye followed all of that

Advertisement