Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

ah, here! Why didnt you stick this up before or during the game! Take you two seconds!!

Sorry. Clean up after dinner, clothes, lunches, shower. Didn't have time to listen to it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Great stuff from the minors last night. It would help restore your faith in Kildare football after all the doom and gloom recently. That was a very good Meath team and Kildare stuck with them all the way. We kicked on after the missed penalty and I think we just about deserved it in the end.

Cm3lt_LWcAAp_wO.jpg

Tonight's SHC results:

Celbridge 0-13 Ardclough 0-13
    Naas 3-16 Confey 0-14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭gammy_knees

Three senior games in Thurles today €25 adult.:)
    One senior game in Newbridge today €20 adult.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

€10 in that dive would be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Feely in for EOF

1-12 to 0-10 up at half time. Look very good going forward but Offaly having lots of success with the high ball in

That was better from Kildare tonight. Not without it's flaws obviously but it was nice to see a performance full of fight and heart. Kevin Feely made a big difference. He caught a serious amount of ball and he was very vocal driving lads on. If we could get Paul Cribbin and Dan Flynn at full tilt on that team we could do a bit of damage but with neither togged out tonight it seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think I'd prefer to get Cork in the next round. They look a very poor side this year and would be beatable. Longford would be tough as they are coming off an amazing win and have a great record in the qualifiers. Mayo haven't look great this year but I'd still rather avoid them.

• Advertisement

I don't mind who we get but a home draw again would be nice.

Johner wrote: »
    I think I'd prefer to get Cork in the next round. They look a very poor side this year and would be beatable. Longford would be tough as they are coming off an amazing win and have a great record in the qualifiers. Mayo haven't look great this year but I'd still rather avoid them.
    Do they? We beat them by 25 odd points last year in their own back yard. Apart from yesterday and knocking Mayo out a few years ago, they haven't done much.

Mayo at home would be a great occasion.

I see only 600 turned up to watch Clare v Laois today, lots of people put off by the €20 admission. Well done, GAA.

El Chapo wrote: »
    Do they? We beat them by 25 odd points last year in their own back yard. Apart from yesterday and knocking Mayo out a few years ago, they haven't done much.

Mayo at home would be a great occasion.

I see only 600 turned up to watch Clare v Laois today, lots of people put off by the €20 admission. Well done, GAA.

They've already beaten Down this year and they beat Derry twice in the qualifiers. Add in Mayo and Monaghan and that's an impressive record for a team like Longford. We have a decent record ourselves in the qualifiers though, I'd like a home draw against Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Johner wrote: »
    They've already beaten Down this year and they beat Derry twice in the qualifiers. Add in Mayo and Monaghan and that's an impressive record for a team like Longford. We have a decent record ourselves in the qualifiers though, I'd like a home draw against Cork.

they also lost to Offaly by 8 points a couple of weeks back................. Even after yesterday's shock, Longford is the best draw for Kildare.
    Sorry, but we won't beat Myo. And Cork have been as schizophrenic as ever this year and it would be typical that we would get them on one of their vbetter days in an awy fixture. (Note: Cork beat Mayo by 9 points and Monaghan by 7 points in the league.) We would be able to beat them but they would definitely be favourites

If we can't beat Longford (home or away)we are at nothing. Simple as.

Kildare shouldn't have any fear of Cork after beating them last year although I'd imagine Cork seeking revenge for that would sharpen their focus.

We've beaten Longford twice within the last 12 months but their gander will be up after yesterday and Denis Connerton is an improvement on Jack Sheedy. Most of the underage clashes between the two counties over the last ten years or so have been competitive.

Mayo are far and away the best of the three on paper but they haven't shown their form at all this year yet. They're also a team Kildare have no real recent history against so they shouldn't present any emotional baggage for Kildare like Dublin, Tyrone or Kerry would. The last two meetings between the counties were 1 point wins for Kildare in Castlebar in the 2013 league and Newbridge in the 2014 league. If they were as flat as they were against Galway and Fermanagh we'd be in with a shout.

Sunday's SHC results:

Éire Óg/Corrachoill 1-16 Clane 2-11
    Leixlip 0-11 Coill Dubh 0-08

Friday's SHC results:

Celbridge 0-13 Ardclough 0-13
    Naas 3-16 Confey 0-14

Worst possible draw. Mayo aren't as good this year so hopefully we give it a good go.

Don't mind the draw tbh at least we'll be knocked out by a big team just hope we don't shift another hiding. Talk about it being played on Sunday with the Connaught final replay been in Castlebar on Saturday evening wouldn't be fair on Kildare supporters with the minors playing but sure GAA don't care and there's nobody with a backbone in Kildare executive

paulie21 wrote: »
    Don't mind the draw tbh at least we'll be knocked out by a big team just hope we don't shift another hiding. Talk about it being played on Sunday with the Connaught final replay been in Castlebar on Saturday evening wouldn't be fair on Kildare supporters with the minors playing but sure GAA don't care and there's nobody with a backbone in Kildare executive

Hmmm.

It's the worst possible draw in my opinion.
    1. We are up against a team in the top bracket in the country and what is to be learnt from "at least we'll be knocked out by a big team". I'm sure you don't want them knocked out at all of course but what is there to be learnt if we, as you are so sure (I am also pretty sure) we will be knocked out by a team expected to beat us. What do we ever learn from hammering by Dublin.
    Only thing a defeat to Mayo et Al gives fans and backroom staff an attitude of "ah sure it's to be expected ".

At least since the Clare game we know we are far below any level we were under McGeeny''s peak years.
    If we are inevitably to be knocked out let it be against a team that we should beat. At least thatmay set a trail in motion for more changes and a look at a squad that is clearly not up to much the last 2 months, whether due to bad management, player motivation and squad togetherness, training mechanisms or merely capability.

A moral defeat so early in the qualifiers or a trashing to a team like Mayo who noone knows what state they are in at the moment is a pointless lesson.

Jesus lads we aren't beaten yet.

• Advertisement

I never said we were.far from it if you read my post properly. (Although i do expect Mayo will beat us)

I was merely replying to the posters sentiment that he was happy enough with the draw as 'at least we'll have been knocked out by a "big" team" which is precisely the worst scenario (imo) in the long run as well learn f all probably from it.

I never said we were.far from it if you read my post properly. (Although i do expect Mayo will beat us)

I was merely replying to the posters sentiment that he was happy enough with the draw as 'at least we'll have been knocked out by a "big" team" which is precisely the worst scenario (imo) in the long run as well learn f all probably from it.

This game is going to be close, mark my words. Cian O'Neill has a perfect template in the Fermanagh game. They wilted badly in the last 20 minutes and I'd be pretty confident our fitness levels would be better than Fermanagh's.

Such a pity Cribbin and Flynn probably won't make it, they are perfect for the game Fermanagh tried to play, breaking at pace after each turn over.

Unfortunately, I think we'll lose by a point or 2 but wouldn't be at all surprised to see us beat them.

This game is going to be close, mark my words. Cian O'Neill has a perfect template in the Fermanagh game. They wilted badly in the last 20 minutes and I'd be pretty confident our fitness levels would be better than Fermanagh's.

Such a pity Cribbin and Flynn probably won't make it, they are perfect for the game Fermanagh tried to play, breaking at pace after each turn over.

Unfortunately, I think we'll lose by a point or 2 but wouldn't be at all surprised to see us beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Paddy power has Mayo as 1/8 on to win. Its probably about right. Even after defeat to galway the pundits still thought mayo would still be in the ai race come august. The past 12 months has seen some very heavy defeats for kildare- I'd expect a defeat again but if we could keep it within 5 points I think it would suggest we might be going in the right direction. That would be something.

El Chapo wrote: »

Words duly marked!!

Fermanagh game was mainly down to the conditions. But yes, fitness did play a big part in second half. Its impossible to know what way this will go. If the weather is bad again, it will be tight and may, in fact, suit Kildare more than Mayo. Nevertheless despite the scoreline aginst Offaly, doubt we have the scoring power to keep up with Mayo. Over 5 points defeat for me.

Not sure who they will deploy on O'Shea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Its on Sky also for those who cant make it down to the match

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm looking forward to this, could be a surprise in it . I don't know why I'm so sure of it but I fancied it even before it was confirmed.

I like the qualifiers, teams can find themselves in there.
    I like watching Mayo play but your Tommy could make a name for himself at midfield.
    It might be a cracker, would your lads have the legs to stay with Mayo. I don't think they are as fit as they have been this year but that a soft opinion.

I'd put Peter Kelly on Aidan O'Shea. I know he was poor on Saturday but he has the physicality to compete with O'Shea and you can be sure O'Shea won't be getting any soft frees with the Fermanagh match fresh in the referee's mind. Hyland is playing very well this year but I'm not certain he would be suitable for that job. Put him on Cillian O'Connor and Lyons on that Regan lad. Conway should be left where he is. He put in a great shift on Saturday. Johnny Byrne is possibly the only other player who would be suited to marking O'Shea.

It's a real pity that we're without Cribbin and Flynn at the moment. The one game this year where we managed to get Feely, Cribbin, Niall Kelly and Dan Flynn on the field at the same time was probably our best performance down in Clonmel against Tipperary. I still think we have a squeak against Mayo but I'd be confident we'd give them a proper rattle if we had those two available to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Proud to
    Proud to be
    Proud to be a
    LILY

Cmon ye mayo whore's lol....

Never give up I say.

Yes mayo are good. But they are no Kildare men.........

Advertisement