Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk signal is very bad, its full of stutters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Yeah, it cut out just as some nun on the Tom Dunne show started belting out a rendition of Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit". Just as well really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was listening to moncrieff the other day as I always do,then I normally switch over to cooper (I listened to Hook for a few years but he war me down).Moncrieff mentioned that richard aldous was standing in for Hook,I remember aldous form standing in a few years ago and he is very very good IMO.

So for the last few days I have been listening into aldous,the man is 100 times better than Hook and should have his own show.

Anybody else feel the same..?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Aldous is a breath of fresh air.

The show has been completely subsumed by Hook's ego.

He is a poor, poor broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Dub13 wrote: »

So for the last few days I have been listening into aldous,the man is 100 times better than Hook and should have his own show.

I would say he has lost a lot of credibility for ghost writing the Bertie autobiography.

To me he comes accross as dispassionate, somehow distant, a typical acedemic. If he had his own show, I could imagine him delivering items in the style of a newsreader on autocue.

True, Hook is far from perfect, but he does give the impression of having some interesting life experience which informs his views on subjects covered on his show. That marks him out as different to the likes of, for example, Mary Wilson- I dont think Ive ever heard her express a personally informed position on anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just listening to Henry on the Moncrieff show doing a piece on Hip Hop dancing.

Used to hate Henry, but now think he's brilliant. Very clever interviewer, willing to do anything and hilariously funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

kraggy wrote: »
    Just listening to Henry on the Moncrieff show doing a piece on Hip Hop dancing.

Used to hate Henry, but now think he's brilliant. Very clever interviewer, willing to do anything and hilariously funny.

A bit like Louis Theroux. Puts on a persona of being rather "innocent" and naive, but is probably quite clued in really?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Sounds a lot like Louis, too. And not just because of the accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I would say he has lost a lot of credibility for ghost writing the Bertie autobiography.

To me he comes accross as dispassionate, somehow distant, a typical acedemic. If he had his own show, I could imagine him delivering items in the style of a newsreader on autocue.

True, Hook is far from perfect, but he does give the impression of having some interesting life experience which informs his views on subjects covered on his show. That marks him out as different to the likes of, for example, Mary Wilson- I dont think Ive ever heard her express a personally informed position on anything.

dont like mary wilson but the womans politics has always been crystal clear to me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Completely agree. Aldous always performs strongly in media affairs, always measured and assured in his delivery. Hook is nothing more than a populist mouthpiece. He doesn't really contribute original opinion despite his shouting. If a Dublin taxi driver was given his own show I'd expect Hook to measure up favorably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Norris was standing in for Hook yesterday.

Did anyone hear the "April fools Joke" played on Martin Manseragh?
    He was told he may have to work on Saturday!

Norris and Manseragh laughed it up, I turned off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Did anyone just hear the guy on the Tom Dunne show?

He staples his clothes to himself :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Eamonn Keane just talked about a "sangwich" GRRRRRRRR rage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Eamonn Keane just talked about a "sangwich" GRRRRRRRR rage :mad:

First a segment of hero worship for Willie O'Dea and now that demented hoore Mary O'Rourke AGAIN :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

First a segment of hero worship for Willie O'Dea and now that demented hoore Mary O'Rourke AGAIN :mad:

I am sick to death of hearing her bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Poly wrote: »
    Norris was standing in for Hook yesterday

I can't stand Dorris Norris. In real life he's probably a very nice person, but on radio he comes across as a complete twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

dh0661 wrote: »
    I can't stand Dorris Norris. In real life he's probably a very nice person, but on radio he comes across as a complete twat.

Have to agree with this. I find it hard to listen to him for mor than ten seconds. IS that the best replacement they can find for Hook? He's a píss poor presenter.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Lunchtime with Eamon Keane always cracks me up...

"Today we're going to be talking to a Fianna Fail TD who's highly critical of the Government and Brian Cowen....."

Some intro music...

"Mattie McGrath how are ya?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

No more Jurry \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

parasite wrote: »
    No more Jurry \o/
    So he's finally gone? That's great news.:D:D For a while there he seemed to be taking over every show on Newstalk. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

Did he say who was replacing him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Did he say who was replacing him?

As long as it's not Ger Gilroy. AKA-Mr Monotone! Zzzzzz.... Although to be fair to Ger if I am having trouble sleeping I usually put his voice on a continuous loop and I'm asleep in minutes!biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Poor old newsreader just hit by dreaded frog in throat moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What has he gone from?

From The Weekend Sports Show to Radio Kerry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

deadhead13 wrote: »
    From The Weekend Sports Show to Radio Kerry.

Was he let go or was it his choice..?

I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Was he let go or was it his choice..?

I heard him saying he was leaving on air. I would say it was by choice. He seemed to be well liked there and was one of the original NT personalities I believe and helped build their sports portfolio. Even if we didn't understand him some of the time he was still clearly a sports fanatic and IMO deserves some credit for the backround efforts to produced the excellent coverage they had there. He was one of the few Irish journalists at the '07 Cricket world cup and had quite the scoop whilst there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

themont85 wrote: »
    I heard him saying he was leaving on air. I would say it was by choice. He seemed to be well liked there and was one of the original NT personalities I believe and helped build their sports portfolio. Even if we didn't understand him some of the time he was still clearly a sports fanatic and IMO deserves some credit for the backround efforts to produced the excellent coverage they had there. He was one of the few Irish journalists at the '07 Cricket world cup and had quite the scoop whilst there.

When you say excellent i hope you mean Off The Ball and not their weekend sports shows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

parasite wrote: »
    No more Jurry \o/

I posted this way back 19/03 (page 5/6) at this stage. No sign or mention of him yet on radio Kerry AFAIK.

There was a vacancy left in radio Kerry back in January for their morning currant affairs programme that seems to have been filled by a number of presenters since.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement