Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas release from prision

• 19-12-2012 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

We are trying to separate state and religion, Should the practice of letting violent rapists and others out of prison for christmas, so santa can find them, be stopped?

I think it's a daft practice and should be stopped.

Should the practice of letting people out of prison for Christmas be stopped? 82 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 82 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Especially not that fookhead Seán Quinn.

You'd swear he was some sort of mafia leader with his obsession with meeting family commitments, and their precedence over the Law of the State...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Violent rapists? Is there another kind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

orestes wrote: »
    Violent rapists? Is there another kind?

Georgie Burgess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Ah shur once they come back shur isn't it grand?! Don't all rapists/thieves/cons take a break over the Christmas so tis not like they'll do it again or anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Boombastic wrote: »
    We are trying to separate state and religion, Should the practice of letting violent rapists and others out of prison for christmas, so santa can find them, be stopped?

Since when have violent rapists been granted TR at Christmas?
    It doesn't happen, but don't let that stop you stirring the pot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shouldn't ye be more worried about them finding Santa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    Ah shur once they come back shur isn't it grand?! Don't all rapists/thieves/cons take a break over the Christmas so tis not like they'll do it again or anything!

They let them out when most people have brand new valuable goods in their house:confused::pac:

They let them out when most people have brand new valuable goods in their house:confused::pac:

It's called sarcasm dear, look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Dangerous offenders that may be a threat to people - No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Of course it should be stopped. Why should criminals get special treatment.

• Advertisement

Since when have violent rapists been granted TR at Christmas?
    It doesn't happen, but don't let that stop you stirring the pot!

Here's one example,

A GANG rapist who also threatened to burn the home of the sister of Euromillions winner Dolores McNamara is to be released from prison for Christmas.

Thomas O'Neill (24) -- who led a horrific gang rape in Cratloe Woods, Co Clare, in 2004 -- will be freed from prison next week for a fortnight.

Maybe gang rape isn't violent enough for you? but don't let that stop you from stirring the pot

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    It's called sarcasm dear, look it up.

Eh, I copped that alright:p

I was just adding a further point!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Over 60 per cent of the prisoners being released are in lower security institutions, including the Training Unit Semi-Open Prison and Shelton Abbey Open Centres.
    All of the prisoners being released are nearing the end of their sentences.
    The Department of Justice has emphasised that the overriding concern when considering the applications for temporary release was the safety of the public.
    The periods of release vary from a few hours to up to 7 nights. The vast majority of prisoners will be required to report to their local garda station during the release.That was from last year and would be certain it be the same this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just so long as Sean Quinn isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Some of these prisoners have families too. Try to think of them as human sometime.

realies wrote: »
    Over 60 per cent of the prisoners being released are in lower security institutions, including the Training Unit Semi-Open Prison and Shelton Abbey Open Centres.
    The Department of Justice has emphasised that the overriding concern when considering the applications for temporary release was the safety of the public.
    The periods of release vary from a few hours to up to 7 nights. The vast majority of prisoners will be required to report to their local garda station during the release.That was from last year and would be certain it be the same this year.

What about the other 40%?

Periods of release extend up to 2 weeks for violent gang rapists (see my example above)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Why is it daft?

Your pole question is very different to the question in your post; as in your post you name violent rapist as ooposed to ODC to call them that [not that I concur with that concept]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

realies wrote: »

I voted yeah it should be stopped, after reading this I don't see the problem with it.

If they mess up and do something while they are out they'll just get more time added anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Of course it should be stopped!

These people gave up their right to freedom in any capacity when they violated decent citizens.

They get too good treatment as it is - by our flawed system that failed to convict them the first God knows how many times or that handed down a far too lenient sentence to the facilities they have to pass the time.

Some forfeited being treated humanely in my opinion and should be left to fend for themselves in a seperate wing with limited facilities.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Why is it daft?

Your pole question is very different to the question in your post; as in your post you name violent rapist as ooposed to ODC to call them that [not that I concur with that concept]

Why does the OP say voilent rapists or ODC? or does it say violent rapists and others?

I see you also thanked the post that says it doesn't happen while ignoring my example of where it is happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Some of these prisoners have families too. Try to think of them as human sometime.

Maybe they should have thought of their victims as human before commiting crimes against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Cydoniac wrote: »

It's not up to me to think about them. That's what they should've done. Then they wouldn't find themselves where they are.

Prison should mean prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Here's one example,

A GANG rapist who also threatened to burn the home of the sister of Euromillions winner Dolores McNamara is to be released from prison for Christmas.

Thomas O'Neill (24) -- who led a horrific gang rape in Cratloe Woods, Co Clare, in 2004 -- will be freed from prison next week for a fortnight.

Maybe gang rape isn't violent enough for you? but don't let that stop you from stirring the pot

This guy has a virtual Free To Commit Crime Pass due to his tramp of a girlfriend being a state witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Just so long as Sean Quinn isn't one of them.

I wonder if he'll come out of prison a sexier man like his son did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Here's one example,

when is he due for release? did he get ten yrs originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Why does the OP say voilent rapists or ODC? or does it say violent rapists and others?

I see you also thanked the post that says it doesn't happen while ignoring my example of where it is happening

You have given one example, how many will get TR? Out of all those who get TR how many are sex offender and violent criminals?

So when you say others you are saying any criminal [like a person in for non payment of fines] or are you using a strong example like a rapist and others mean similar crimes?

You still did not answer my question, why is it daft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

No mercy in AH - not even at christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Free the Wet Bandits!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Here's one example,

There will be at least two of the rapists from that attack out in Limerick for Xmas. Laughable given that pretty much every rapist involved in that attack managed to rack up a number of extra convictions since then.

I guess gang raping a woman and imprisoning her partner to force him to listen was not a serious enough crime to warrant getting the rapists off the streets quickly once caught.

I suppose the only good thing is that one of the rapists is now dead and cannot harm any other decent folk.

• Advertisement

john47832 wrote: »
    No mercy in AH - not even at christmas

Sorry but if you're going to rape people, attack people, break into houses and so on you don't deserve mercy, not even at Christmas.

Advertisement