Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daley Thompson and his racist slur

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

chin_grin wrote: »
    :confused:

Nope!
    Some low level trolling there. I hate those trolls. Pack of bastards. Nearly as bad as the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Constantly seeing Irish people talking about paddies in a derogatory sense on sites like politics.ie....

No one stops them from doing it. Why is this any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Who cares? He made a joke....laugh it off. Whoever complained is uptight.

Ive never even heard of this guy, so when I read racist slur, I assumed he called someone the N word or something. Then opened the link...

Well to me its not all that bad, its just something stupid...

But god forbid a white person was to say...

"Ah that tattoo must have been done by a black"

Or used the N word, they're be out rage...

No equality in it, its pretty much the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pimmy_Jage wrote: »
    You'd think Daley would know a bit more about races...

...being an athlete and all.

Did Daley mention the word race? Nope. That's people like the OP, just dying to be offended on behalf of their "race".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I'm certainly not offended but I think it's a fairly odd comment/joke to come out with. :confused: If they had mentioned Ireland or the Irish somewhere in the conversation prior to this comment it would be one thing but to just come out with 'it must have been written by an Irish person' is a bit weird. :confused: Why pick on us? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Well to me its not all that bad, its just something stupid...

But god forbid a white person was to say...

"Ah that tattoo must have been done by a black"

Or used the N word, they're be out rage...

No equality in it, its pretty much the same thing

It was a joke, the tattoo was spelt 'Oylimpic', say that out loud. Sounds like someone saying Olympic in a stereotypical 'begorrah' accent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Highly offended Joe, now if this tattoo artist turns out to be from Ballyfermot or Coolock; then he was of course correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You'd think Daley would know a bit more about races...

...being an athlete and all.

Did Daley mention the word race? Nope. That's people like the OP, just dying to be offended on behalf of their "race".
    No, he was just stereotyping us in a constructive manner.

Shure everyone knows we're great craic. It'll be grand. Hup!! Hup!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thomson is just part of the ' Hype' surrounding the Olympics of which I'm sick of seeing and hearing about on tv and radio so roll on the actual games ,the Athletes involved and sod off all the has-beens

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Who cares? He made a joke....laugh it off. Whoever complained is uptight.

Ive never even heard of this guy, so when I read racist slur, I assumed he called someone the N word or something. Then opened the link...

He's the guy who got us all into Lucozade :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Pot-Kettle

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

davet82 wrote: »
    he was born in London to Nigerian and Scotish parents seems abit unfair to send him to Jamaica

So how come he's English? Bradley Wiggins born in Belgium and not Belgian because his parents weren't. Surely Thompson is Nigerian. Or Scottish. Oh, or successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

mitosis wrote: »
    So how come he's English? Bradley Wiggins born in Belgium and not Belgian because his parents weren't. Surely Thompson is Nigerian. Or Scottish. Oh, or successful.

Well I would imagine that if Thompson had have wanted to compete for Nigeria or Scotland he could have done...same as many of the footballers can and seem to do.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Maybe if we all stood up and sang the fields of Athenry they (English) could tussle our hair and pinch our cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Tabnabs wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9418536/London-2012-Daley-Thompson-accused-of-racism-after-Irish-gag-on-One-Show.html

A slur that's all too common in the UK from my experience. Disappointing that it's trotted out so easily and I hope he regrets the idiocy of the remark.

And not a single fuck was given that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

So how come he's English? Bradley Wiggins born in Belgium and not Belgian
    because his parents weren't. Surely Thompson is Nigerian. Or Scottish. Oh, or
    successful.

He grew up in Killburn which makes him at least half irish:rolleyes:.

buck65 wrote: »
    Maybe if we all stood up and sang the fields of Athenry they (English) could tussle our hair and pinch our cheek.

What...all of them (that would be a sore cheek) or just Thompson?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Its game ball in the UK to slag off the French, Irish and the Poles. Mention any ethnic minority and you are in big trouble. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What an incredibly stupid thing for people to get offended by.

For feck sake, grow up.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Its game ball in the UK to slag off the French, Irish and the Poles. Mention any ethnic minority and you are in big trouble. Strange.

Strange why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

chin_grin wrote: »
    Ah sure the Oirish, we can't splel!

This is the joke that people didn't get.

Olympic was mis-spelled as Oy-lmpic as in Oy-rish.

It wasn't exactly the best joke ever but it was not racist at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Damn, was hoping there was a typo in the OP and Daley had a pet slug that kept racial abusing him - now that would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sounds like an obnoxious prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

So a black Freddie mercury offends the Irish. .

Now that's news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

AEDIC wrote: »
    Strange why?

Why British media personalities get away with slagging off certain nationalities and ethnicities but not others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sonics2k wrote: »
    What an incredibly stupid thing for people to get offended by.

For feck sake, grow up.

KOOOLLLL

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

mitosis wrote: »

Your point doesn't make sense. Bradley Wiggins is English and successful yet has always been referred to as British. Surely if those nasty English wanted to keep all the success for themselves then he would be referred to as the first English winner of the TDF and have the Cross of St George paraded round with him as opposed to being hailed as the first British winner with the Union Flag following him round anywhere he goes?

This thing about "British when successful, Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish when not" is painful to have to listen to nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I am outraged by this. I will be writing a strongly worded letter to Daley looking for an apology. Now, best make sure spell checker is working correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Pherekydes wrote: »
    So he thinks the Irish are bad spelllers? I'm totaly ofended by dis.

I'm surprised to find out that the Irish are a race.

Much ado about nothing, methinks.

Theres no such thing as a race technically anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tabnabs wrote: »

Thompson made the gaffe during last Thursday's show when he was shown a photo of a torch bearer with 'Oylmpic torch bearer' tattooed on her arm.

The Decathlon gold-medalist quipped that the tattooer must have been Irish.

*Throws bannana banana at TV screen*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement