Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dutch

• 20-02-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

What do people here think of the Dutch?
    I personally like them but prefer Germans, that's just my preference.
    I'd like to find out about the Dutch though. We all know about Amsterdam and dykes but I'd like to get a little more than that.
    What do people think of the people themselves. They are very tall, I know that much.
    Are they big in to sports? I know they really enjoy ice skating.
    What about religion though, are they big in to it, I imagine not.
    Is there a somewhat seedy element and deviancy to them?
    Would they be considered a friendly nation? I know there's a bit of a racism issue there, somewhat due to Moroccan immigrants.
    I'd love to hear from real Dutch people or people who know some or even regularly visit the country.
    I'd like to get as much information as possible without really focusing on Amsterdam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

I'm a fan of their accent.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

The Dutch are gold Teddy.

You know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I was with my mates in Holland and we were stoned off our tits walking down the street, not really sure where we were going. A Dutch man stopped what he was doing, crossed the street and asked if we needed directions. We did and he promptly directed us where the main street was.

Another time we were out one of the nights heading to get food when a car pulled up, the guys in the car shouted something in Dutch which we didn't understand. I walked over to see what they wanted and they were selling cocaine. I told them I wasn't interested and if they knew of any good spots to get some grub. They recommended a place, told us how to get there and drove off.

I can, with confidence, say you would not find an elderly gentleman going for a Sunday stroll nor a cocaine dealer cruising around selling to tourists in Ireland as nice as you would in Holland.

I've been to over a dozen European countries, as well as 2 US cities and have never come across such helpful people.

Generalisations are fine when they're positive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Former Dutch footballer Dennis Bergkamp was named after former Man Utd striker Denis Law. The reason that his name is spelled with two n's is because in the Netherlands, Denis is a female name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

I've never met a Dutch person I didn't like. Germans on the other hand.....
    I've had experiences I'd rather forget. It was with one German person. I wouldn't tar all German people with the same brush, but when I hear a German accent, I can't help but be reminded by that one person. I cringe inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Nice people, I lived in Utrecht for a few months and found the Dutch to be a very laid back and highly intelligent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

If you go for dinner with a Dutch person, they will offer to split the bill in half with you.

They're sound like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

One thing I do notice about Holland is that everyone seems to have a great grasp on English, I've made a couple of visits and rarely encountered anyone who wasn't fluent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Yeah we are a Nice bunch ..... Yesshhh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I was in Amsterdam last month and I honestly found them to be the friendliest nation of people I have ever come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's great to know the Irish and the Dutch get on so well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dutch > German any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

My new boss is Dutch.

When I was leaving the interview, he was waving out the door at me, moving with the door as it closed. :D Is it bad to say that at that point I was quietly confident? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Great country, great people.They are like Germans but with a sense of humour...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Well they're good at making pastries and cheese and stuff. And great at growing weed! So I like them. They are very different from us though and their sense of of humor is a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

One thing I do notice about Holland is that everyone seems to have a great grasp on English, I've made a couple of visits and rarely encountered anyone who wasn't fluent.
    In a way I'd regard them as more English than the English themselves. As for the fluency I've heard it's because they receive British TV (with subtitles) as opposed to dubbed over imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wannabe7a

What do people here think of the Dutch?
    I personally like them but prefer Germans, that's just my preference.
    I'd like to find out about the Dutch though. We all know about Amsterdam and dykes but I'd like to get a little more than that.
    What do people think of the people themselves. They are very tall, I know that much.
    Are they big in to sports? I know they really enjoy ice skating.
    What about religion though, are they big in to it, I imagine not.
    Is there a somewhat seedy element and deviancy to them?
    Would they be considered a friendly nation? I know there's a bit of a racism issue there, somewhat due to Moroccan immigrants.
    I'd love to hear from real Dutch people or people who know some or even regularly visit the country.
    I'd like to get as much information as possible without really focusing on Amsterdam.

I think I can answer some of your questions, but don't say that the Dutch are the same as the Germans. It would be the same as saying the Irish are the same as the English :rolleyes: But then again we know what you mean of course when you say that.

Tall? Yes, especially if you go to "Friesland". This is like as north as Donegal but then in Holland!
    Sports: Ice skating, yes. Hockey, yes. Korfbal? Every year the world cup finals are between Holland and Belgium, so guess who wins?

Religion: 2 main streams: catholics and protestants. But between the protestants there are a lot of different flavours. Even dressed up ones who are saying: Sunday restday. So no radio, no tele, no car, nothing electronic.

Racism? Bit controversial. We are very open minded, but also very blunt. There is also a very popular political party who is anti muslim and recently they dont like Eastern Europeans as well. They basically only like the local working class hero and the bunch around them.

Pubs? They can never beat the Irish pub scene. Actually no country can do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I find Dutch people to be very polite and helpful.

However while they are extremely polite I wouldn't call them friendly if that makes sense. As reserved as they are making friends with Germans isn't overly difficult, making friends with Dutch is.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Dutch > German any day of the week.
    Spoonman75 wrote: »
    I've never met a Dutch person I didn't like. Germans on the other hand.....
    I've had experiences I'd rather forget. It was with one German person. I wouldn't tar all German people with the same brush, but when I hear a German accent, I can't help but be reminded by that one person. I cringe inside.
    galwayrush wrote: »
    Great country, great people.They are like Germans but with a sense of humour...
    Germans are great people and have a great sense of humor. I won't entertain this German bashing. What do people have against them. An amazing country by all accounts!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Extremely nice people, most of the time educated, polite, professional but very friendly. When you think about Holland outside Amsterdam, you'll get the best. Their history and cultural influence is magnificent, openness and level of tolerance out of the scale, they have working system of public transport and speak at least 4 languages.
    At least one I know in person lives here in Ireland, and loves it.
    Few of our business partners are Dutch and it is pleasure to work with them. Very efficient (the influence of German culture), but more relaxed, not so uptight as their big neighbors.

I'm not comparing them to Germans though. I like Germans and Dutch people, but Germans are my number one :)
    wannabe7a wrote: »
    I think I can answer some of your questions, but don't say that the Dutch are the same as the Germans. It would be the same as saying the Irish are the same as the English :rolleyes: But then again we know what you mean of course when you say that.

Tall? Yes, especially if you go to "Friesland". This is like the Donegal of Holland!
    Sports: Ice skating, yes. Hockey, yes. Korfbal? Every year the world finals are between Holland and Belgium, so guess who wins?

Religion: 2 main streams: catholics and protestants. But between the protestants there are a lot of different flavours. Even dressed up ones who are saying: Sunday restday. So no radio, no tele, no car, nothing electronic.

Racism? Bit controversial. We are very open minded, but also very blunt. There is also a very popular political party who is anti muslim and recently they dont like Eastern Europeans as well. They basically only like the local working class hero.

Pubs? They can never beat the Irish pub scene. Actually no country can do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

They are very very tall.....and liberal......and racist....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

I like their ovens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

ThOnda wrote: »
    Extremely nice people,When you think about Holland outside Amsterdam, you'll get the best.

Youll get their nasty side if you say they're from holland! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Overall the Dutch are a good bunch and nice enough people in general. Yes they nearly all speak perfect English, I think it would be rare to meet a young person who didnt speak English. I have some good friends who are Dutch.

I will also add that the Dutch can be very forthright and a bit too on the mark some times. To the Dutch themselves they are being straighforward but to others who are more subtle when discussing issues, it can seem quite rude and offensive. But in general there is no offence intended, its just a mannerism or maybe its the way they speak English.

Also I have met quite a few younger Dutch guys(early 20s) who were quite arrogant as well but maybe thats young guys of all nationalities but its an impression I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Is this a thread about the western Netherlands or the Netherlands in general?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Where To wrote: »
    Is this a thread about the western Netherlands or the Netherlands in general?;)

Exactly, holland is nice but you should go explore the rest of the netherlands. Just as nice if not nicer!

Advertisement