Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Saw it on another thread 32 Euros a month with a 30 day sim only contract bill pay unlimted minutes to mobiles and landlines and 15 gigs data

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Saw it on another thread 32 Euros a month with a 30 day sim only contract bill pay unlimted minutes to mobiles and landlines and 15 gigs data
    Not worth the money, I shall stay on 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭pms7

Currently trying out 48. There are a few numbers which I can't call ( Vodafone + Three). They are looking into it, saying taking longer to fix than thought. In fairness keeping me well informed and offered me free month.
    Wondering if anyone else has had this problem with 48 or anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Find 48 great value, and at €20pm for all mobile bells and texts, and 3gb download is insane.... Never coppef the landline issue until someone told me about it, but 15 mins of landline per month is fine with me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is poor enough if you travel abroad. Paying extra to receive calls and texts is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

It is poor enough if you travel abroad. Paying extra to receive calls and texts is a bit much.

You don't have to pay anything to receive calls while roaming, if you buy the €3.50 EU roaming addon. You get free to receive roaming calls for 30 days, and 10 mins of outgoing roaming calls, receiving texts is always free: http://48months.ie/pricing/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

pms7 wrote: »
    Currently trying out 48. There are a few numbers which I can't call ( Vodafone + Three). They are looking into it, saying taking longer to fix than thought. In fairness keeping me well informed and offered me free month.
    Wondering if anyone else has had this problem with 48 or anyone else?
    Yeah, I got this too for a couple of days (the annoying American woman's voice saying "Sorry, that's one number you're not allowed to call"?). Funny thing was, the number in question was my wife's, who had just joined up and ported her old Meteor number over at the same time as me. Texts weren't going through either, although she could ring and text me no problem.

In fairness they were quick enough to sort it and also gave me a free €10 membership for the inconvenience... (I'd been wondering if they could get it to work the other way round! :D)

Re the comments above about steep international charges (50c/min, 25c per text) — yes, that's the one drawback (and I kinda miss the webtexts). I think I'm gonna get a Lycamobile SIM just for use when abroad and for calling my daughter in the UK (yes, I am not aged 18-22... ;)).

Otherwise a happy camper so far, although it's early days yet. Oh, and it's 20 minutes of calls to landlines, not 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I'm 23 and wondered have any of you outside the 18-22 bracket who have joined had any problems so far? Like have they checked your age or requested proof of age?

Also silly question but if you ported your old number over to 48 while claiming to be inside the 18-22 bracket and they were to find out you were older than you claimed, if they were to cut you off, can they refuse to allow you to port your number (I'm 086) to another network? Are they entitled to keep your number?

I saw this in another thread and am a little worried...
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Their T&C s are worded such that portability off 48 Months is not guaranteed if you port in. This is legal as long as they state that T&C before signup.

The 089 number would expire after 4 years.

"11. Ownership of Numbers and SIM Card
    11.1 You do not own the telephone number we provide you as part of the 48 Services and we may change the telephone number we provide you at any time for operational and technical reasons.
    11.2 You do not own the SIM Card we provide you as part of the 48 Services. We own the SIM Card and we give you a license to use the SIM Card for gaining "

Another poster said it would be illegal as number portabilty is required under European law, are they correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭TM

Herrick wrote: »
    I'm 23 and wondered have any of you outside the 18-22 bracket who have joined had any problems so far? Like have they checked your age or requested proof of age?
    Lots of people outside the age bracket have joined. Some have reported them doing spot checks at enrollment time - not thereafter.
    Also silly question but if you ported your old number over to 48 while claiming to be inside the 18-22 bracket and they were to find out you were older than you claimed, if they were to cut you off, can they refuse to allow you to port your number (I'm 086) to another network?
    I doubt it. If they did then ComReg might have something to say about it...
    It's just I read a post in another thread somewhere here saying it may be dodgy...
    You mean the 48 offering/service? I haven't had any major problems with it having joined last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

TM wrote: »
    Lots of people outside the age bracket have joined. Some have reported them doing spot checks at enrollment time - not thereafter.

I doubt it. If they did then ComReg might have something to say about it...

You mean the 48 offering/service? I haven't had any major problems with it having joined last year.

Thanks TM :) I edited my above post to include the post I saw on another thread which had me worried. I meant dodgy re 48 not allowing me to port my number away from them if I was found to be over the 18-22 bracket. You know, they might say "you signed up under false pretenses so we are cutting you off but keeping your number as its in our T+C hur hur" :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if they tried that. I don't think that the T&Cs allow them to keep your number in such circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

I got mine as soon as it came out, now 28. I was thinking they might catch on if I changed my number over aswell so got a new number. Glad I did cause the network coverage was terrible in spots where I spend most my time. I stopped using it months ago, must check and see is it still working..

48 are terminating their internet add-ons from 20th February.

http://help.48months.ie/entries/22982233-Removing-internet-add-ons-Bad-idea

They are also terminating the €10 "unlimited" calls and texts to any mobile network standard membership imminently (but no date provided):

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1313558&postcount=5

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

48 are terminating their internet add-ons from 20th February.

http://help.48months.ie/entries/22982233-Removing-internet-add-ons-Bad-idea

They are also terminating the €10 "unlimited" calls and texts to any mobile network standard membership imminently (but no date provided):

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1313558&postcount=5

The €10 "unlimited" calls and texts offer will still apply to current members, just wont be available to new members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

DoubleD wrote: »

The €10 "unlimited" calls and texts offer will still apply to current members, just wont be available to new members.
    So if you join between now & 19th you will still be able to avail of the unlimited scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

Lelantos wrote: »
    So if you join between now & 19th you will still be able to avail of the unlimited scheme?

Well it doesn't give an exact date for the termination of the unlimited deal, so if you are thinking of joining, the sooner the better I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Any more expensive and they are far from the best provider, can do better on 3 and Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Just got this email

Hi Kevin,

When we launched 48 this time last year, the idea was to do things differently and to mix things up. A year later and we're about to do it again. We've some interesting new things on the way.

But we're going to have to stop some stuff too to make this happen. What stuff? Well our '€10 all calls and all texts deal' will soon only be available to existing customers (you) and not new customers.

Does this affect you? Nope. As an existing customer you'll still get all calls and texts for €10. And while we have some interesting, possibly market-changing plans on the way for everybody, new customers will not be getting our original €10 plan.

These changes will kick off in weeks not months, so if you’ve friends 18-22 thinking about making the move, let them know, we won’t be advertising this. This isn’t a ‘Sale Must End’ gimmick to get people to join and we definitely aren’t going anywhere.

We just wanted to keep you in the loop and let you know that some new deals are in the works. We’ll post on our FB page closer to the launch date.

48 Crew,

Go Conquer

Lelantos wrote: »
    DoubleD wrote: »
    Well it doesn't give an exact date for the termination of the unlimited deal, so if you are thinking of joining, the sooner the better I'd imagine.

Just to clarify - the internet add-ons are terminating on 20th Feb. They suggest that they may roll out something new on that front.

The €10 standard membership will not be available to new customers from some unknown date in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

How are is everybody finding this network? thinking about moving from lyca to 48, that E10 a month deal sounds good as i don't use internet in my phone.

Been with them since around September last and no major problems. A couple of short outages but nothing too bad. Do read about their offer, their terms & conditions (especially the fair usage limits) and bear in mind that the only support offered is online via their forums or help tickets (i.e. you will never get to talk to anybody about problems you might have!) and make sure that the whole setup suits your specific needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

... the only support offered is online via their forums or help tickets (i.e. you will never get to talk to anybody about problems you might have!)
    So, to paraphrase - when you have a problem that needs operator attention, you are fcuked.

As in: Don't call us. We won't call you.

Or am I missing something?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Until the moment arrives when you do have to call them. No wi-fi, no friend's phone, no PC - nothing but your phone. What then?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Esel wrote: »
    Until the moment arrives when you do have to call them. No wi-fi, no friend's phone, no PC - nothing but your phone. What then?

Ah, yes. That's the much discussed I've-accidently-took-a-holiday-to-Afghanistan-and-I've-just-been-bombed-and-my-mobile's-acting-up scenario.

Those total bastards.

Simply that they only do support online. You can't call them & they won't call you. Just the way that they do it. Keeps costs down I guess. I've had a couple of support issues & was happy with how they dealt with them. Some people might want/prefer helpline support in which case maybe 48 is not the right network for them. Horses for courses (& burgers :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

Do you have to prove that you're between 18 and 22?

Also how long does the port take?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Of course you have to be the correct age. WINK WINK!!!! :-)

Advertisement