Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 theskeptic

theskeptic wrote: »
    I topped up my Leap Card online with 20euro - giving a balance of 25euro. Screen asked me if I wanted to apply this top up at a Payzone outlet, Luas ticket validator or Irish Rail validator. I chose the Irish Rail option. The web site says it can take up to 48 hours for payment to go through (WTF?).

Over 48 hours later... I tried my Leap card in an Irish Rail ticket issuing machine in Clontarf Rd it didn't work (ok they kinda implied it would only work on ticket validator at gate). I went through gate and whey hey machine said my card had 25euro on it as expected. I got off at Harmonstown (2 stops away) and tagged-off - I saw the figure 16 flash past the validator and thought uh-oh... When I got home and looked up my Leap Card balance I got a screen saying that the balance on my card was 16.39euro - i.e. the trip from Clontarf Rd to Harmonstown had cost me >8.6 euro.

I contacted Leap Card customer care via email and they said that the excessive fare was an issue for Irish Rail and I should contact them! They said the balance can take 24 hours to update online - despite the fact that I checked the topup > 48 hours later and the trip DART trip > 24 hours later.

This has all the signs of a system that is NOT ready to be rolled out. Be warned: use Leap Card at your own risk. As for the promised future feature of being able to link the Leap Card to a direct debit - eh, no thanks...

Irish Rail have since replied to my query directing me back to Leap Card 'customer care'... I think I know where this is going - "give us your money and then we'll bounce you around between the various agencies" :(
    Dear Customer,
    Thank you for your email. Please note that Iarnród Éireann cannot refund Leap customers who contact us directly. All customers must contact customer.care@leapcard.ie who will make arrangements for the refund on your behalf.
    Thank you.
    Iarnród Éireann Leapcard

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

theskeptic wrote: »
    Irish Rail have since replied to my query directing me back to Leap Card 'customer care'... I think I know where this is going - "give us your money and then we'll bounce you around between the various agencies" :(
    Dear Customer,
    Thank you for your email. Please note that Iarnród Éireann cannot refund Leap customers who contact us directly. All customers must contact customer.care@leapcard.ie who will make arrangements for the refund on your behalf.
    Thank you.
    Iarnród Éireann Leapcard

I followed up on your issue through railusers. Leap Customer care are now aware of a number of passengers experiencing this issue due to a technical error at Harmonstown.

You should now be able to challenge the erroneous charges through Leap Customer Care and they should be able to refund you. You'll have to challenge them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 theskeptic

robd wrote: »
    I followed up on your issue through railusers. Leap Customer care are now aware of a number of passengers experiencing this issue due to a technical error at Harmonstown.

You should now be able to challenge the erroneous charges through Leap Customer Care and they should be able to refund you. You'll have to challenge them though.

Thanks for your help!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

Does anyone know why the right hand validators on the buses are charging €2.40?
    It has happened to me twice now, I just send them an email asking to be reimbursed.

I know i'm being pedantic here but are we really correct in calling this an integrated ticket card? It doesn't even integrate two bus journeys let alone two modes.

In The Netherlands if I were to take a bus to connect with another bus I tag on and tag off on each bus with my OV-Chipkaart and it charges me with the number of stages i've travelled as an integrated journey not as two separate tickets.
    They've been ticketing like that since way before electronic cards using the paper strippen system.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Finally got a look at my account online (it's been down for nearly 24 hrs and isn't working now again) and as I thought I was also charged €2.40 yesterday on the bus. I've emailed looking for the overcharged money to be refunded it's not that I really care about the 20 cent it's the principle of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Daxve wrote: »
    Finally got a look at my account online (it's been down for nearly 24 hrs and isn't working now again) and as I thought I was also charged €2.40 yesterday on the bus. I've emailed looking for the overcharged money to be refunded it's not that I really care about the 20 cent it's the principal of it.
    Well, multiply 200 million trips by 20 cent ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Daxve wrote: »
    Finally got a look at my account online (it's been down for nearly 24 hrs and isn't working now again) and as I thought I was also charged €2.40 yesterday on the bus. I've emailed looking for the overcharged money to be refunded it's not that I really care about the 20 cent it's the principle of it.

I too noticed this today with several of my Leap customers.

I brought it to their attention as they had not bothered to look at the screen,assuming,naievely,that the NTA were a legitimate agency.

Instead we now find that passengers are indeed being OVERCHARGED for a €2.30 journey when Leapcard themselves advertise a discount to €2.20.

I think this is an absolute scandal and once again suggests mismanagement of the highest order.

Leapcard will stand or fall on the integrity of its operation.

What we are now experiencing is nothing of the sort,and will unless addressed Immediately,consign Leap to the bin.

This is not some tuppenny ha'penny little operation we are dealing with here,but instead it's portrayed as being an integral part of the Rail Procurement Agency and an adjunct to the NATIONAL Transport Authority....If these agencies are shown to be unwilling or unable to address some very fundamental flaws with their sole product then shut-the-thing down until that product is of merchantable quality.

In the meantime Leapcard users make damn sure to CHECK THE VALIDATOR SCREEN FOR THE CORRECTLY DEBITED AMOUNT.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Same happened to me this morning - driver believed that the ticket machines had an update applied which caused the rise in fares, therefore didn't charge me as he believed it was the mistake on the part of Dublin Bus who had pushed this to their ticket machines.

That would give me the opinion that this is a Dublin Bus issue, after all he gave the impression that the fare charged is dependent on what is programmed to the ticket machines and DB are responsible for this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

eh... isn't the pricing on the validators configured by Dublin Bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Is it even legal to charge a higher price than advertised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Aard wrote: »
    Is it even legal to charge a higher price than advertised?
    Well its only illegal if they are doing it deliberately to mislead customers. Otherwise they obviously have to refund the customers that have been affected and try to fix the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

eh... isn't the pricing on the validators configured by Dublin Bus?

The staff at the NTA in joint operation with Transport for Ireland have the authority to set the fares on any ticket validator including Dublin Bus, but, this also includes validators on luas, DART & Commuter, BE and on private operators in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

The staff at the NTA in joint operation with Transport for Ireland have the authority to set the fares on any ticket validator including Dublin Bus, but, this also includes validators on luas, DART & Commuter, BE and on private operators in the future.

That's not really the point - it's DB's equipment which deducts the fare from the card so if Leap customers are being overcharged, it's almost definitely DBs fault. I doubt the NTA authorised an increase from Jan 1st but told DB to start charging customers the new fare before Christmas :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What Mark said is exactly what I meant by configured.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BowWow wrote: »

€4,000 x 600,000 = €2,400,000,000
    I blame Alex!
    The staff at the NTA in joint operation with Transport for Ireland ..
    Are you saying TFI is a separate organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

ninja900 wrote: »

Ok then...1 for you...1 for me...2 for me...1 for you....R you gettin my drift....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,549 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sorry if this seems a stupid question - Are they phasing out travel 90 10 journey tickets?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

According to the Leap people, you'll be able to get Travel 90 tickets on the card sometime next year. Not sure if they'll do away with the tickets afterwards. You might as well buy up as many Travel 90s as you can now -- considering that most fares will be over €1.90 you'll save in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Interesting observation. Other cities seem to get around this by allowing certain travel windows based on zones. For example:
    1 zone = 60 mins
    2 zones = 90 mins
    3 zones = 120 mins

Kinda hard to implement given the arbitrary Irish Rail zone/stage hybrid system. Something simple like "All category E fares are allowed 120 minutes" could do the trick. On the IR website, it even states that the journey time is ~83 minutes. If you consider a minute or two buffer for tagging-on/off, plus a slight delay, you could easily be over the 90 minutes and €0.30 worse off.

(Incidentally, why is the "max deduction" €4.30 when the most expensive fare is just €4.00?)

Worse off I think - I think your next tag after the 90 minutes will count as a tag on, so you end up €4.60 worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

In The Netherlands if I were to take a bus to connect with another bus I tag on and tag off on each bus with my OV-Chipkaart and it charges me with the number of stages i've travelled as an integrated journey not as two separate tickets.
    They've been ticketing like that since way before electronic cards using the paper strippen system.
    The Dutch system is so much better.. not that it'd be difficult to be better than 'Leap!'

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

According to the Leap people, you'll be able to get Travel 90 tickets on the card sometime next year. Not sure if they'll do away with the tickets afterwards. You might as well buy up as many Travel 90s as you can now -- considering that most fares will be over €1.90 you'll save in the long run.
    Indeed. Now that the new prices are in, for me to get to work its:

Cash: €2.65! :eek:
    Leap: €2.40
    Travel 90: €1.90

Not to mention, if i wanted to get 2 buses (switching within 90min), which happens occasionally, it would be:
    Cash: €2.65 + €2.15/€1.90 = €4.80/€4.55 depending how far im going
    Leap: €2.40 + €1.95/€1.70 = €4.35/€4.10
    Travel 90: €1.90

Havent got a leap card yet, and dont really see any need to get one so far with this as the situation. I already have a Luas card. So will stick to travel 90s for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Would anybody know what the situation is with Broombridge Station, by any chance? I commute from/to there twice daily, and have till now, paid cash. It works out signifigantly cheaper for me to use my leap card, however the means to tag on/off are unavailable at Broombridge, so when I reach my destination, I'll be charged maximum fare rather than the €1.50 I should be. I've contacted Irish Rail, and in fairness to the helpful woman on the phone, all she could reccommend after inquiring was contacting the RPU so they would be aware of my card details, therefore not fine me, and Leap for a refund every time, which as you can imagne, will get time consuming and tedious very quickly :/.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Would anybody know what the situation is with Broombridge Station, by any chance?

p to the e had the same problem and was talking about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056462313&page=29 . I'd quote his message but there were a few follow up comments...but no real resolution yet i dont think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

My dear auld mother just showed me her new ''leaf card'' as she called it,if she can be converted to use new technology and not pay cash then anyone can!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Its Johnny Drama

No idea how to use this leap card on Dublin Bus, i taught it would just be a matter of swipe on/swipe off & then it deducts how many stages you have travelled..surely that would be the obvious way of doing things

What do you actually do with it?..get on the bus & tell the driver what street your going to & then swipe your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

No idea how to use this leap card on Dublin Bus, i taught it would just be a matter of swipe on/swipe off & then it deducts how many stages you have travelled..surely that would be the obvious way of doing things

What do you actually do with it?..get on the bus & tell the driver what street your going to & then swipe your card?

Not to be blunt, but it's been talked about so many times now on this thread that I just can't answer you again. So you could search through thread.

You can also read www.leapcard.ie which gives full details.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In short yes - unless your cash fare is now €2.65 where you can use the righthand validator.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Its Johnny Drama

robd wrote: »
    Not to be blunt, but it's been talked about so many times now on this thread that I just can't answer you again. So you could search through thread.

You can also read www.leapcard.ie which gives full details.

Cheers..in on the mobile & just about to use the card,i was to lazy & didnt have time to be digging through pages
    lxflyer wrote: »
    In short yes - unless your cash fare is now €2.65 where you can use the righthand validator.

Thanks..used it there with no hassle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you topup the card online, and you only use Dublin bus, you dont get your credit unless you go to a shop/luas/IR stn? Am I missing something? Why doesn't the credit automatically go to the card after you pay online?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement