Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

• 05-09-2011 2:13pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After a successful 2010 trip, my 2011 trip to France saw the number of participants double to two. I'm hoping to organise another epic in 2012. I'm hoping to keep the format similar, two weeks, July, Tour de France but other than that it's a blank canvas.

I've contacted a man with a van which I hope to budget for €1,000 on the assumption I get a group of ten or we could add €100 per head over ten. That allows us to fly to somewhere and van and bikes meet us there. I may get a travel agent into the mix, marble city travel in Kilkenny to be precise to organise payments, flights, hotels and that sort of thing.

I think we can work it in such a way that someone could fly home after a week or join in on week two. The first part of planning and booking comes in October when the tour route gets announced, we pick the stage to go to within 48 hours of the announcement or within minutes if it's a mountain stage. Hotels are booked there and then. Part two of the process comes in January when the ferry timetables come out.

My personal view would be to plan something that could be done without a van as if we don't get numbers or the van man has a change of heart it wouldn't end up ruining the trip. I'm also not doing it for charity next year. My initial thoughts are a possible Moret sur Loing trip with a good Kilkenny contingent, followed by a second week heading somewhere else, there's an Alpine challenge where we stay in the Alps for a week or two and cover a lot of the epic cols, same plan for Pyrénées.

Does this interest anyone, does anyone have any recommendations for me?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

How about a Raid Pyrenees? Either the 100 hour challenge or the same route with a few extra days to take in the sights (and beers :)) along the way? I'd be up for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If you need a driver I'll be happy to oblige?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hermy wrote: »
    If you need a driver I'll be happy to oblige?

Thanks Hermy, still early days so I need to see if I'm going solo, small group, decent sized group. Judging by the show of hands so far, I'd say it's going to be an epic solo/ duo effort. How come you don't want to ride it anyway?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ROK ON wrote: »
    Any hints?

How would cycling to Lourdes in week one followed by the Raid Pyrénéen in week two sound? If people just want a boards Raid Pyrénéen they can fly out for week two, if they want a relatively flat route they can do week one and then fly home. Try do it around the TdF, budgets and all that will be sussed out. I'd like to keep everything under €1k per head for the two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

How would cycling to Lourdes in week one followed by the Raid Pyrénéen in week two sound? If people just want a boards Raid Pyrénéen they can fly out for week two, if they want a relatively flat route they can do week one and then fly home. Try do it around the TdF, budgets and all that will be sussed out. I'd like to keep everything under €1k per head for the two weeks.
    I'd be surprised if you could do it for less than €1k during tdf week.

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if you could do it for less than €1k during tdf week.

We'd only be going to one stage, so it'd be possible. I think this years trip was €480 ferry, flight and accomodation for eleven days. Booking early is the key.

We'd only be going to one stage, so it'd be possible. I think this years trip was €480 ferry, flight and accomodation for eleven days. Booking early is the key.

Cool. I would like to do the days around the Raid, unless the first week is particularly inticing. Need an incentive to shift about 15kgs at least. I have an option of doing the Raid with the club, but the dates really dont suit. So if you get this priced up etc, then I'm willing.

Cool. I would like to do the days around the Raid, unless the first week is particularly inticing. Need an incentive to shift about 15kgs at least. I have an option of doing the Raid with the club, but the dates really dont suit. So if you get this priced up etc, then I'm willing.

Cool, I'll check it out and see what I can come up with. We'll check out the tour route in October and see what that brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

I'd be on for the Raid. Need something to make me train over Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Another Kilkenny man on day 1 of the Raid today.
    This is on the 18% grade :D of the Marie Blanque.
    raid-pyreneen-1-2.jpg
    http://www.velopeloton.com/raid-pyreneen-day-1/

• Advertisement

Another Kilkenny man on day 1 of the Raid today.
    This is on the 18% grade :D of the Marie Blanque.
    http://www.velopeloton.com/raid-pyreneen-day-1/

AKA TheDocMan

How does starting the raid the day after the TdF finishes sound? Obviously this is dependent on the route the tour takes and our opportunities to get a stage or two in. People have the option of cycling down with me the week before and flying home before the raid, flying over for the raid or doing the two with me. I'd be looking at getting man with van for the raid, anyone cycling down would be carrying their necessary gear and get the luxuries to come in the van. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

How does starting the raid the day after the TdF finishes sound? Obviously this is dependent on the route the tour takes and our opportunities to get a stage or two in. People have the option of cycling down with me the week before and flying home before the raid, flying over for the raid or doing the two with me. I'd be looking at getting man with van for the raid, anyone cycling down would be carrying their necessary gear and get the luxuries to come in the van. That's what I'm thinking anyway.
    Suits me. I would only do the Raid part (prob for charity). Not that pushed about seeing the tour live. The idea of spending an afternoon on a mountain with 500000 other people is quiet frankly my idea of hell.

Man with van would be great. I would gladly pay to have someone absolve me of ever travelling on a plane with a bike.
    Thanks

All we need now are a few more interested souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Tempting. Didn't the lone journeyman Blorg and Barrrabus(or was it empty) do this a couple of years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Sounds interesting. Can I have some more info on what is planned. For example is it intended to get ferry over and cycle to Alps:Pyrenees ( as per the 11 day trip you did this year) Or fly over and meet up with bikes in France?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. Can I have some more info on what is planned. For example is it intended to get ferry over and cycle to Alps:Pyrenees ( as per the 11 day trip you did this year) Or fly over and meet up with bikes in France?

Both, you have a choice.

If you could get a min of say 6 people it will be about breakeven to fly over and get a person to drive with van and bikes/luggage.
    Thus you walk on a flight to Biarritz as a foot passenger.
    If you have about 10, then it will be more than likely much cheaper to fly/drive.
    (I did the maths before based on Ryanair flights, taxes and charges for bikes).
    I am adding into this that unless we recruit a completely benevolent soul that a van driver will be paid.
    If someone was willing to drive for us just to get a week in the Pyrenees as a holiday, then I think the cyclists as well as paying the ferry and fuel that we should cover the accomodation cost also. Tuppence worth.
    Want to keep the cost down, but all is doable within a budget with co-operation.

Very difficult to accurately cost anything now as Ryanair flight schedules are not yet up for July next year.

ROK ON, I calculated about €1,000 to get a van driver with accommodation and diesel should be enough. If you want 10 bikes return on a plane it's €800, I think if we get 10 it's well worth the extra €20 per head.

ROK ON, I calculated about €1,000 to get a van driver with accommodation and diesel should be enough. If you want 10 bikes return on a plane it's €800, I think if we get 10 it's well worth the extra €20 per head.
    Absafupinlutely.
    If you can do that, I think its a great price.

• Advertisement

If someone was willing to drive for us just to get a week in the Pyrenees as a holiday...

I'm willing to do the driving but no longer have any wheels.
    Anyone have a van they be willing to lend me?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17 realslow

This all sounds like a fantastic idea, would definitely be up for it. We have a volunteer driver, maybe we can rent a van. What kind of age group/cycling standard are ye looking for.

I would gladly pay to have someone absolve me of ever travelling on a plane with a bike.

I would gladly contribute for the pleasure of driving a van through France.
    Just need a fupping job.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Ive always wanted to do the raid
    , would be some craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

All we need now are a few more interested souls.

I'll put in a tentative +1 to the Raid.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

I may have an interested non-Boardsie. Won't know for a week or two for definite, though.

georgepeppard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I could be interested if we are talking about one week. 1000euro with everything included sounds great as well. When do we have to take the decision?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I could be interested if we are talking about one week. 1000euro with everything included sounds great as well. When do we have to take the decision?

Can't make a decision until January on the raid when the ferry time tables come out. If they give us a ridiculous price on the van then we'd have to scrap that. If you're planning on doing the week before with the TdF I'd need to know the day the route comes out next month. I'm assuming everyone is OK with twin rooms or your OH/ bit on the side is coming, double rooms?

• Advertisement

Just thinking here.
    I will be doing the Raid for charity. If a few people going were doing it for their chosen charity, then we could begin to look for a donation of a van.

Just a thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement