Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

• 29-06-2011 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Please post in here if you need help filling out the form for 2011/2012.

please provide as much detail as possible, and hopefully someone will be able to assist you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 VeronicaMoon

Hi i'm filling out my student grant application form now online and i'm confused!

My father is self-employed and it asks me if he was employed in 2010 so I said yes and had to enter his gross income for 2010. Then the next page it asks if he was self employed in 2010 so I said yes and entered his net profit.

I finished the application and was about to press submit when I seen it had added together his gross and net income (makes no sense) ??? So does this mean I say he wasn't 'employed' and remove that figure? I would have thought being self employed was employed?
    user_online.gifreport.gif edit.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

dont fill in any details for the "employed in 2010", but do fill in details for "self employed in 2010"

self employed is very different than employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 VeronicaMoon

dont fill in any details for the "employed in 2010", but do fill in details for "self employed in 2010"

self employed is very different than employed.

Thanks!!!! I couldnt decide what to do. My friend keeps telling to say he's employed lol

no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Its asking for a CAO Number. I've lost mine at this stage. Does it make a difference if I just leave it out, or would it be of any benefit for me to go rooting through old wardrobes trying to find it?

Also, can I still get the grant if I'm living, (or "co-habiting), my girlfriend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,724 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Its asking for a CAO Number. I've lost mine at this stage. Does it make a difference if I just leave it out, or would it be of any benefit for me to go rooting through old wardrobes trying to find it?

Also, can I still get the grant if I'm living, (or "co-habiting), my girlfriend?

not sure about cao thing but your girlfriends income will be assessed

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

I hear that the closing date is like early August to apply for a grant , I've finished my application online , well (half finished ) .
    I hope to have the declaration thing filled out soon but I'm lost when it comes to the checklist .
    on the checklist it says your grant will only be processed fully when you have confirmation of your acceptance to a third level , but we don't get them till like late August .
    I'm totally confused about this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭eolasguy

I hear that the closing date is like early August to apply for a grant , I've finished my application online , well (half finished ) .
    I hope to have the declaration thing filled out soon but I'm lost when it comes to the checklist .
    on the checklist it says your grant will only be processed fully when you have confirmation of your acceptance to a third level , but we don't get them till like late August .
    I'm totally confused about this tbh

I am more confused about how you prove you have been living in the country for the last 3 out of 5 years! :mad:

Some of the documentation is stupid! Loads of paper work!!!

the closing date is set as august, HOWEVER, most vec's will take the applications until sometime next year.

what you need to do is send the application in, fully completed.

then when the results for you leaving cert come out, a few days later the college offers will be available. you then contact the vec with the letter of acceptance, and that finishes your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Applegoat

Ughhh doing a postgrad

in section C2

apparently i need "a copy of the award i received" from my previous degree course....eh what?:confused:..as in a transcript of my final results? or the actual degree scroll thingy?

Also i'm pretty sure i'm not going to make the cut off for a grant but does anyone know if you fall in the last band 51+ k or whatever it is (where they'd just pay your fees in an undergrad) what happens for a masters? Will they still pay just the fees? or do they not pay fees for a masters, i thought the woman in the VEC said i could apply just to get my fees paid or something if i didn't get the grant but i was in a bit of a hurry so didn't ask about it?

Hope that made some sort of sense! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

A transcript of your final results should do, maybe ring your local office and ask just to be 100% because you don't want to send everything in and then be told hold on this isn't right and your application would then be delayed.

Re fees for postgraduate i'm not really sure I would presume you would get some of your fees paid for. Maybe someone else can clarify this.

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

Hopefully someone can help me.

I was employed last summer for 6 weeks I registered with the revenue for tax credits etc, I have all my payslips but I have lost my P45 is it really necessary or would a letter from my employer saying that my contract was for the six weeks do for the grant form?

Not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

lol im still stuck on first page on the question on what course you want to pursue can you tick more than one box because i dont know whether im doing level 7 or plc :)

daffodil14 wrote:

I was employed last summer for 6 weeks I registered with the revenue for tax credits etc, I have all my payslips but I have lost my P45 is it really necessary or would a letter from my employer saying that my contract was for the six weeks do for the grant form?

Not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance

send in any letter, documents, and your payslips you have with your application and it might suffice. if they ring asking for additional info, then you might have to try source something else. the p45 is just a summary of your overall payments etc, so its like all your payslips merged into one document.

Sparkie93 wrote: »
    lol im still stuck on first page on the question on what course you want to pursue can you tick more than one box because i dont know whether im doing level 7 or plc :)

when i applied i attached a cover letter saying i am still waiting on my results etc and cao offers, and once they are available, will be able to inform the vec/county council office which course and which college i got accepted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

the closing date is set as august, HOWEVER, most vec's will take the applications until sometime next year.

what you need to do is send the application in, fully completed.

then when the results for you leaving cert come out, a few days later the college offers will be available. you then contact the vec with the letter of acceptance, and that finishes your application.

But that doesnt make sense , if you apply later than August you'll be back logged , right ?
    and you cant fill out the checklist without the acceptance from college , so does this mean you're backlogged even further ?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

Can someone please post link to online application. THanks

But that doesnt make sense , if you apply later than August you'll be back logged , right ?
    and you cant fill out the checklist without the acceptance from college , so does this mean you're backlogged even further ?

if you apply later than august, then yes, you will be at the end of the queue etc.
    you can fill out the checklist without the acceptance, and you can also change it at a later date.

shefra wrote: »
    Can someone please post link to online application. THanks

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9532/completing-a-student-grant-application/index.html

eolasguy wrote: »
    I am more confused about how you prove you have been living in the country for the last 3 out of 5 years! :mad:

Some of the documentation is stupid! Loads of paper work!!!

This is some of the evidence they look for

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf
    Documentary evidence for residency for 3 out of the last 5 years
    This may be one or more of the following:
    • evidence that the applicant sat the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate exams in
    Ireland, or equivalent school exams in the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • a letter from a school principal in Ireland, the EU, EEA or Switzerland confirming the
    applicant’s attendance at a school;
    • social welfare statements or equivalents from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • utility bills;
    • registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB), or equivalent from
    the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • if the applicant is a non-EEA national, a letter from the Department of Justice and
    Equality confirming the period of lawful presence in Ireland. Periods of unlawful
    presence cannot be considered.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PadraicEgan

They say they need tax documents for the previous tax year, i.e. 2010. But hardly anyone has their taxes done for 2010 already. It is normally done by the accountant/agricultural consultant in September. Is anyone else in the same situation and will it affect my application? (dad is a farmer by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

daffodil14 wrote: »

Not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance

call the tax office and they will send you some form of replacement,tell them what you need it for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone where I can get a hard copy of the grant forms?

Anyone where I can get a hard copy of the grant forms?

Option 1 - print it out
    Option 2 - Ring up your local county council or vec and ask for it to be posted

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KMM

Hey all,

So I have the online part done and dusted. Now I am trying to get all the additional paper works together. What I am stuck on is the proof of being an independent mature candidate.

I live with a friend, who owns the house. I did not sign a lease, as a) it's a friends place and b) we both figured there was no need as I'd only be here for a few months. Anyway, I also have no bills here in my name. I rang CDVEC and she said just attach anything official from October 2010 that I would have been sent. I have trawled through all my papers etc. and can't find a thing that shows I was here from October 1st 2010, I have one final internet bill but that is dated in December 2010! I am actually starting to freak out a bit now and the thing is I am only applying for 'fees only'.

I desperately need some help or advice. Does any one know anything else that's official?

ps. Also since last June I haven't had a bank account! Unbelievable I know :(

KMM wrote: »
    Hey all,

So I have the online part done and dusted. Now I am trying to get all the additional paper works together. What I am stuck on is the proof of being an independent mature candidate.

I live with a friend, who owns the house. I did not sign a lease, as a) it's a friends place and b) we both figured there was no need as I'd only be here for a few months. Anyway, I also have no bills here in my name. I rang CDVEC and she said just attach anything official from October 2010 that I would have been sent. I have trawled through all my papers etc. and can't find a thing that shows I was here from October 1st 2010, I have one final internet bill but that is dated in December 2010! I am actually starting to freak out a bit now and the thing is I am only applying for 'fees only'.

I desperately need some help or advice. Does any one know anything else that's official?

ps. Also since last June I haven't had a bank account! Unbelievable I know :(

Can you find anything from august or September of last year. If you can then send that plus the December letter

Terry Pratchet

Yeh I have stuff from each month either side.

Thanks for that, hopefully it'll be enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Does the documents for proving residency and nationality etc etc have to be original documents or will copies do ?

Everything (as in additional documents) have to be originals, but they will return them.

I was advised to actually hand in mine, they would stamp the copies they make and hand back the originals there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Applegoat

Is there a section on the form where you put in the distance the college is from your home, can't find it, but have a vague recollection of filling it in a few years ago ??

Advertisement