Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EA Showcase, London.

2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

EA approached Boards to do some advertising and competitions and when we mentioned we came from a gaming background, they invited us over in a kind of "if you guys are around and want an inside look" sort of way. There was a near fight in the office and Dav and I ended up going.

However, what they didnt know and you guys dont know either is that Dav and I are going back to our roots and starting a gaming site soon. (EA didnt know that either, I doubt they care since its not going to rule the world or anything). So this couldnt be better timing for us :)
    So we were particularly keen to go!

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Helix wrote: »
    i THINK we got hands on time with bulletstorm multi, i forgot to ask daniel today - but pretty sure there was something we were the only irish to play, and im 99% positive it was bulletstorm

i really should know these things :S
    They are a long time from release they told us so I dont think they have code to play yet...

Helix, who is "we" ?

DeV.

Mr E wrote: »
    Thanks for the updates... sounds like a good event.

This is the part where DeV and Dav say that next year, the games mods are invited too.

Right, lads? :)
    Actually, yes... if we had had more then 2 invites (and if there hadnt been a rugby scrum for them in the office in the first place) then the Games mods would be next in line, in some randomised fashion. We did the same with the trip to the EU commission with the Politics mods.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DeVore wrote: »
    They are a long time from release they told us so I dont think they have code to play yet...

Helix, who is "we" ?

DeV.

click magazine

we had hands on with an early multi, pretty sure it was that, but im not positive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Helix wrote: »
    i THINK we got hands on time with bulletstorm multi, i forgot to ask daniel today - but pretty sure there was something we were the only irish to play, and im 99% positive it was bulletstorm

i really should know these things :S
    Worst. Journalist. Ever! :P
    DeVore wrote:
    Actually, yes... if we had had more then 2 invites (and if there hadnt been a rugby scrum for them in the office in the first place) then the Games mods would be next in line, in some randomised fashion. We did the same with the trip to the EU commission with the Politics mods.

DeV.

Can I be a games mod? Or a politics mod? (hell, a holiday's a holiday, right?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

humanji wrote: »
    Worst. Journalist. Ever! :P

ahaha yeh i know

attention span of a... OH LOOK A DOG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Mr E wrote: »
    Thanks for the updates... sounds like a good event.

This is the part where DeV and Dav say that next year, the games mods are invited too.

Right, lads? :)

Throws CV in for Games Mods job :D

Humanji, when we are invited to Area 51 you are first in the queue. :p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

EA approached Boards to do some advertising and competitions ! DeV.

Please explain (if allowed or possible)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

DeV.

...like, randomised after Cmods first? Or even just Cmod, that R3nu4l guy doesn't need to go, something could happen on the forums.

• Advertisement

um sure CableGuy.ie ... not clear on what needs explaining, if you can be more specific I can give you a better answer.

EA are a large publisher of games and they work in each country to promote them. In ireland you would have to be mad to ignore boards.ie for that target market so they contacted our ad sales people to buy ads and they wanted to put a competition on the site the way we do on the front page a fair bit lately (d4 hotels, Leviathan tix recently, that sort of thing...).

Now, the ad sales people manage the ad sales because there isnt much of a grey area. We approve any dodgy ads and that works fine. Competitions are a bit new and a bit grey and we dont always charge for them at present depending on how much we like the people. So, those get past along to the Boards.ie HQ team.

We met with them and thrashed out a way forward for them to work with Boards. This is important because big corporates just dont get social media. They just dont. So, yeah, they asked us could they brand the entire site with Assassins Creed and we politely declined. You have to understand, they arent evil, they just dont get the way we work and that the idea of the "Broadband forum, brought to you by Eircom" is utterly anathema to what Boards is. A neutral third place, not the home of any of the community, not the home of the corporates or haters or muppets or anyone. So, branding this space is not cool. You know what, they were cool with that completely.

So, we thrashed out a way we CAN work together and they were happy and so were we. They then mentioned this trip as an off the cuff remark and when they pulled their arm free, they signed us up and we went.

In case anyone hadnt noticed, I'm a games nut. Offering me first peak at new games or a franchise I like is as irresponsible as offering a junkie first hit on the needle. :)

DeV.

Silverfish wrote: »
    ...like, randomised after Cmods first? Or even just Cmod, that R3nu4l guy doesn't need to go, something could happen on the forums.
    We actually worked that out in the mod forum about a year ago, I think its something like Admins/HQ get first crack, then Cmods, then mods, then users but if there is say 3 tix, each group gets one shot at their ticket.

Thats more or less how it went with the EU commission, Sceptre Oscarbravo and I went when OB was a mod and Sceptre was either cmod or admin. But the mods were getting one even if three admins wanted to go.

Shamefully I think I may have completely overlooked that in the jubiliant celebration of beating Darragh to death with Ross's severed limb. Dav merely laid claim to his due to owning a bat'leth and the fact that he scares the rest of us.

DeV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think who's scarier out of me or Dav will have to go to a vote.

I have to sit next to Dav in the office.... you should see what he does to Darragh and Darragh is *nice* to him.

DeV.

Advertisement