Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Hot Water

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Jim ,I've replaced around 50 expansion vessels and about 5 of those where on mains fed systems.
    More often than not ,the vessels were burst on systems that needed topping up a lot.

I do maintenance calls on all sorts of gas installations, I have to get systems going that no one else will touch.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

items wrote: »

I've been on sites with apprentices during the house bashing times, boilers being run for first time. A few cases happened when boiler was not filled correctly, with no circulation the boiler quickly overheated and blew straight out safety.

It is most likely that the problem was that there was air trapped at the top of the boiler (it was not vented properly) and the water boiled because the water level in the boiler was not reaching the thermostat probes and the boiler never turned off - not because there was no circulation. I'll have another glass of red please :D
    Jim.
    PS Well done Leinster !

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Jim ,I've replaced around 50 expansion vessels and about 5 of those where on mains fed systems.
    More often than not ,the vessels were burst on systems that needed topping up a lot.

I do maintenance calls on all sorts of gas installations, I have to get systems going that no one else will touch.:(

Hi Yosh, I think that it is more because corrosion in a system damages the diaphragm, than that the actual pressure is too high. You can control the pressure when you are filling. Anyway what would I know - I'm not even a plumber :D:D :eek:
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    Hi Yosh, I think that it is more because corrosion in a system damages the diaphragm, than that the actual pressure is too high. You can control the pressure when you are filling. Anyway what would I know - I'm not even a plumber :D:D :eek:
    Jim.

Yeah ,thats true.(dirt can destroy the rubber)

I just avoid filling when the system is hot ,when you vent you can actually let the pressure off the vessel aswell.
    Then when the system cools ,you can pull the ar5e out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

jesus that plumbing is a mess, as far as i can make out it looks like this ...

P1010539.JPG
    1. cold feed to heating
    2. lazy ass attempt of a bypass
    3. summer valve / flow to radiator manifold at back of cylinder
    4. primary return (boiler return)
    5. primary flow ( boiler flow)
    6. balancing valve / coil return valve
    7. return from radiator manifold at back of cylinder

i think your problem with the brown water is defo a leaking coil , i would get your plumber back to replace the cylinder (more than likley a manufactures fault) and to sort out your pipework as its a disaster , it would be no harm to get him to label each valve as its a great help for other plumbers when they arrive to jobs like yours to do work.

• Advertisement

sullzz wrote: »
    jesus that plumbing is a mess, as far as i can make out it looks like this ...

P1010539.JPG
    1. cold feed to heating
    2. lazy ass attempt of a bypass
    3. summer valve / flow to radiator manifold at back of cylinder
    4. primary return (boiler return)
    5. primary flow ( boiler flow)
    6. balancing valve / coil return valve
    7. return from radiator manifold at back of cylinder

i think your problem with the brown water is defo a leaking coil , i would get your plumber back to replace the cylinder (more than likley a manufactures fault) and to sort out your pipework as its a disaster , it would be no harm to get him to label each valve as its a great help for other plumbers when they arrive to jobs like yours to do work.

By George, he's got it :D I do believe that you are right. We got the 2 circuits mixed up - rads and coil.
    Now for the bonus point - tell us what all the pipes on the right hand side are :eek:
    The brown water was there before the new cylinder - it could be a faulty cylinder, but is that really likely - what else can it be - continued next week ;)
    Jim.

here it goes jim,

P1010538.JPG
    no.1. cold feed to cylinder

P1010532.JPG
    no.2. this copper pipe loops around in qualpex from a 3/4" elbow and goes under a floorboard who knows to where it is the same pipe as marked no.2 in next pic.
    P1010528.JPG

P1010530.JPG
    no.3. hot feed to services and expansion
    no.4. cold feed to services
    both no.3 and no.4. can be seen passin through the floor in
    bends at the side of the cylinder

Now heres the good one . in this picture P1010529.JPG you can see by zooming in that no.5. is a transformer for an aqualisa pumped shower and it would make sense that no.6. is the hot feed to the aqualisa.
    All above is just a guess from the pics provided .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Two reasons why it's not "end of"
    Many systems are filled from the domestic water tank in the attic. If the non return valve fails or leaks, the water from the heating system will get into the domestic water tank when the pressure builds. It can discolour the water and taste rather dodgy if you do your teeth in the bathroom :eek:.
    With older boilers, it is a good idea to keep the filler valve closed because one day the boiler is going to burst and start leaking. This is like turning on a tap in the middle of the house and flooding the place. If the valve is closed, then only a certain amount of water will escape. I supose after 40 years, you experience more of these incidences than you would in a short 15 years :D:D:D
    Jim.

Goodman, 40 years experience. In all those 40 years have you not figured out its better to replace a faulty NRV, sorry to say turning off the valve is a lazy mans approach to fixing a problem. Same goes to old systems, an old system to me is a system with a dedicated feed and expansion tank, if you shut off the feed to save possible flooding your cutting off the expansion, if you've been closing the valve on this type of system your creating a problem, no expansion. It would make far more sense to leave the valve open, have yearly system drain, flush and fill with inhibitor should the heating system be temperamental or leak prone.

Turing off vlaves is avoiding problems, not fixing them.

It is most likely that the problem was that there was air trapped at the top of the boiler (it was not vented properly) and the water boiled because the water level in the boiler was not reaching the thermostat probes and the boiler never turned off - not because there was no circulation. I'll have another glass of red please :D
    Jim.
    PS Well done Leinster !

Boiler on with no movement of water through heat exchanger led to boiler overheating.

No movement of water through heat exchanger when boiler is on = no circulation.

Goodman, 40 years experience. In all those 40 years have you not figured out its better to replace a faulty NRV, sorry to say turning off the valve is a lazy mans approach to fixing a problem. Same goes to old systems, an old system to me is a system with a dedicated feed and expansion tank, if you shut off the feed to save possible flooding your cutting off the expansion, if you've been closing the valve on this type of system your creating a problem, no expansion. It would make far more sense to leave the valve open, have yearly system drain, flush and fill with inhibitor should the heating system be temperamental or leak prone.

Turing off vlaves is avoiding problems, not fixing them.

It would seem that you have not come across the common occurance where a sealed system is filled by a link from the hotwater feed to the cylinder, through a gate valve and a NRV. Legal or not, many estates and private houses around Dublin have this system. As I said, experience. Oh by the way, in case you didn't catch it earlier - I am not a plumber and have never replaced or fitted a NRV :D
    Jim.

• Advertisement

Boiler on with no movement of water through heat exchanger led to boiler overheating.

No movement of water through heat exchanger when boiler is on = no circulation.

Dual thermostat in boiler stops overheating - whether there is circulation or not - except if there is air trapped in the top of the boiler, or both sides of the stat are faulty.
    Jim.

Now the big one Sullzz - can you figure out from all that information why the OP's water is brown ?
    I've been playing games with "items" and gone off the original topic :D
    Jim.

Gary ,your forgetting about the expansion vessel. You can damage it if you fill a system when the vessel is fully expanded.

A expansion vessel is designed to handle 3 bar, anything above that the blow off kicks in, so over pressurising hot or cold wouldn't lead to damage to the expansion vessel unless(as per Mr M) the membrane is already weakened by the contaminated system water
    For my sins, I'm the fella you call in if you can't fix the boiler:eek:(if it's one of mine) Gary.

gary71 wrote: »
    For my sins, I'm the fella you call in if you can't fix the boiler:eek:(if it's one of mine) Gary.

Don't know any gary's tbh ,I've done all the main boiler manufacture courses in dublin:(
    Installed a couple of thousand boilers at this stage.

Anyways ,I only put in worcester boilers and they don't need any calls made:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

gary71 wrote: »
    OP, have you tried running off the water until it's clear then leaving it a day without any heat to see if it stays clear, if it's heat orientated you may find it's bacteria(asper DARTH MAUL) , i have come across brown water with cylinders that got worse the hotter they got, the installer had to put a cleaning solution into the cylinder to get rid of it, also is the immersion new or is it the same as the one out of the old cylinder and have you taken sample of your system water from different places to see if your heating water is dirty.

I've not tried that yet, but I have taken water from the tank in the attic and from the cold tap in the bathroom and boiled it to see if it changed colour and it didnt.

The cylinder is new. The brown water was happening before the cylinder was changed. I'd hardly have that much bad luck to have picked up a new cylinder with a faulty coil. The plumber said he tested the coil before he installed the new cylinder too.

Now heres the good one . in this picture P1010529.JPG you can see by zooming in that no.5. is a transformer for an aqualisa pumped shower and it would make sense that no.6. is the hot feed to the aqualisa.
    All above is just a guess from the pics provided .

That Aqualisa shower was taken out 3 years ago and replaced by a Triton. I just never took out that transformer. I think there is a pipe coming directly down from the attic to feed that shower.

Been away from two days, so there's been no flow of hot water. Heating was on for a hour every day while I was away.
    The red valve was fully open all the time and the black tap slightly open. The could has gotten worse. No idea if it's cause those taps are now open or cause the water has been sitting?

With the heating on now, the pressure on the boiler is reading at 10.
    Whereas when those valves were closed, it used to go up to 20 when the heating reached its high temp.

It would seem that you have not come across the common occurance where a sealed system is filled by a link from the hotwater feed to the cylinder, through a gate valve and a NRV. Legal or not, many estates and private houses around Dublin have this system. As I said, experience. Oh by the way, in case you didn't catch it earlier - I am not a plumber and have never replaced or fitted a NRV :D
    Jim.

I've spent years working in Dublin North and South along with plenty of other areas all over Ireland, never once have I seen a tee coming off cold feed to cylinder to provide a supply for heating. Either your mixing up pipes or making up story's as you go along.

ITEMS how can you honestly say that you have never seen a supply to a heating system taken from the cold feed to the cylinder , it is really common and more so in new houses.

ITEMS how can you honestly say that you have never seen a supply to a heating system taken from the cold feed to the cylinder , it is really common and more so in new houses.

For one, its completely against regulations. Cold feed to cylinder must have its own dedicated supply. Its far from common to have cylinder cold feed supplying heating. I can honestly save I've never seen it once.

The sooner water rates come out the better, at least then water supply will hold some form of regulation. Every tom dick and harry in Ireland some how manages to interfere with plumbing and heating with little to no qualification or experience.

For one, its completely against regulations. Cold feed to cylinder must have its own dedicated supply. Its far from common to have cylinder cold feed supplying heating. I can honestly save I've never seen it once.

The sooner water rates come out the better, at least then water supply will hold some form of regulation. Every tom dick and harry in Ireland some how manages to interfere with plumbing and heating with little to no qualification or experience.

im not saying that it is the correct thing to do , what im saying is that it is done and i find it hard to believe that you have never seen it done.
    And when water rates come in I dont think it will stop much people undertaking their own plumbing D.I.Y. projects ,or, cowboy plumbers doing what they do.

This thread is like the X-factor ,everyone is singing their own tune:D

• Advertisement

Either your mixing up pipes or making up story's as you go along.

I'll ignore that :(
    I could name over 600 house on three estates, built by well known builders where the heating system is fed from the cold feed to the cylinder.

Now - can anyone help the OP :rolleyes:
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

FFS - what else can go wrong!?!?

Now my gas boiler wont fire. When i turned it on, it made some clunking noises and then an error light came on, which according to the manual is "High Limit Thermostat Lock-Out".

Have tried resetting it a few times over the last hour and no joy :(

Am fecking freezin :mad:

brettmirl wrote: »
    FFS - what else can go wrong!?!?

Now my gas boiler wont fire. When i turned it on, it made some clunking noises and then an error light came on, which according to the manual is "High Limit Thermostat Lock-Out".

Have tried resetting it a few times over the last hour and no joy :(

Am fecking freezin :mad:

Sorry to hear, I did mention earlier all the messing about with turning on and off valves could effect the boiler. How did you reset the boiler? Sometimes boiler wont reset until its completely turned off, switch off the boiler then switch off the boilers fused supply. Turn it all back on again, might reset the boiler. See how it goes after that.

This thread is like the X-factor ,everyone is singing their own tune:D

True, plenty of want to be's here.

I'll ignore that :(
    I could name over 600 house on three estates, built by well known builders where the heating system is fed from the cold feed to the cylinder.

Now - can anyone help the OP :rolleyes:
    Jim.

If these houses are new builds which require a new water main, what ever area they are in the Co Council water division must be no use for allowing that kind of installation. Same goes to the builders and the plumbers. I still don't believe it's done, spent best part of 5 years in both new and old houses all over Dublin. I'll believe it when I see it.

As for the OP, I've made my suggestion, nothing further can be done until both hot and heating are pressure tested. I advised to leave well enough alone until a plumber arrives, warned that turning on and off valves could effect boiler. The OP's boiler has now locked out on high limit, might be nothing to do with the tinkering around but its a coincidence its now locked out.

Don't know any gary's tbh ,I've done all the main boiler manufacture courses in dublin:(
    Installed a couple of thousand boilers at this stage.

Anyways ,I only put in worcester boilers and they don't need any calls made:D

yoshytoshy I'm glad you're on first name terms with all the manufactures technicians:) Gary is just my stage name, who is going to buy my boilers if I'm on here posting about their errors of judgment in not reading the manufactures instructions, it's not easy explaining to a RGI the reason their installation has a intermittent water leak is because they have plumbed the washing machine into the heating circuit, but i get the chance to bitch about it here:D. Gary?

I want to be paid more:(

As items has posted you would have to open the things you closed, isolate the power to the boiler for a couple of minutes to do a hard reset, then if the boiler has cooled it should re fire, as for the samples of water as you are concerned heating water is getting into your cylinder it would be worth while looking at the colour of water in your rads, your plumber can do this, if you find the heating water is relatively clean and clear it would be less likely to be heating water you are getting, Gary.

I wanna know it all and be always right - like items :D

• Advertisement

brettmirl wrote: »
    I've not tried that yet, but I have taken water from the tank in the attic and from the cold tap in the bathroom and boiled it to see if it changed colour and it didnt.

The cylinder is new. The brown water was happening before the cylinder was changed. I'd hardly have that much bad luck to have picked up a new cylinder with a faulty coil. The plumber said he tested the coil before he installed the new cylinder too.

That Aqualisa shower was taken out 3 years ago and replaced by a Triton. I just never took out that transformer. I think there is a pipe coming directly down from the attic to feed that shower.

Been away from two days, so there's been no flow of hot water. Heating was on for a hour every day while I was away.
    The red valve was fully open all the time and the black tap slightly open. The could has gotten worse. No idea if it's cause those taps are now open or cause the water has been sitting?

Is the tank in the attic dirty ? Is there a brown deposit or coating in it ? could anything be stirring up the water in the tank - overflow pipe ? Is there actually a seperate header tank for the heating in the attic ?
    Jim.

Advertisement