Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: 8 miserable miles. Sucked in every way possible. But tomorrow's another day. Summary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Eight miles?? Bloody hell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

What's the training plan for the next few weeks Krusty, are you going to try and squeeze in a long run or two before the taper for Edinburgh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Today: 8 miserable miles. Sucked in every way possible. But tomorrow's another day. Summary
    sucked mainly due to the injury? head up krusty!!

Walls wrote: »
    Eight miles?? Bloody hell!!
    Unfortunately, at this stage, that's as short as my runs should be getting. Instead, 8 miles feels like a marathon.
    Rigal wrote:
    What's the training plan for the next few weeks Krusty, are you going to try and squeeze in a long run or two before the taper for Edinburgh?
    TBH I'm just making it up as I go along. The P&D schedule is out the window. Just trying to recover and get the mileage up as quickly as possible. I reckon, if I can just get over the injury, I'll have no probs covering the 26.2 (and even recording a small PB) as I'm good at running long. However, at the moment it's a losing battle, and the injuries getting worse (and causing other injuries). I'm toying with the idea of scrapping the marathon and all running, for the next four weeks. It would take the pressure off and allow me to self-repair properly. But I'll keep on trying for another week and decide then.
    Kennyb3 wrote:
    sucked mainly due to the injury?
    High heart rate, breathing problems, blisters (I never get blisters anymore), sore ankle (achilles?) and both knees, even the fricking dogs were trying to bite me. Some days, you just know you're on to a loser!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Tough call Krusty and I don't envy you having to make it. What I would say though is, what is the point in getting a pb in Scotland (can't spell Edin.. :D) and possibly causing more harm, only to hammer it in Berlin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Sorry to hear that Krusty. Hope things improve for you soon..

Woddle wrote: »
    what is the point in getting a pb in Scotland
    Return on investment. The mature part of me is saying 'it doesn't matter; I've benefited from the mileage'. The immature part of me is throwing a tantrum. I don't want my only marathon in the first part of this year to be a pacing marathon. But I'll get over myself. :)

Personal Lessons I've learned:
    • If you're goinng to run two marathons together (two months or less), make sure the first one is the fast one and gear your training for this marathon. The second is just for getting around/having fun/pacing. That way you'll be at your peak for your first race, and carry the fitness for your second.
    • After running a marathon, take it easy for a week, even if you were running at sub-optimal pace - no speed sessions
    • If you're not feeling right, don't race. Particularly if the race is not an important one on your race calendar.
    Needless to say, I've broken all of the above rules/advice given by others. Hopefully by writing it down, I'll pay more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

krusty
    sound like the main purpose of training/running is gone at the moment , enjoying it !

Seres wrote: »
    krusty
    sound like the main purpose of training/running is gone at the moment , enjoying it !
    Yes, indeed it is. It's all been a struggle of late. Every stride hurts. It's difficult to enjoy it. Feels like I'm preparing for an exam at the moment, and trying to cram as much as possible. I don't really want to sit the exam but still want the qualification. Enough metaphors! :rolleyes:

Ironically, I should be studying right now, for an exam on Friday.

*Edit*:
    Today: Weights, core strength exercises, foam roller.
    Hoping to try running again tomorrow, if the pains are gone.

• Advertisement

6 days since I last run, I headed out to the park for 5 miles today. Leg pain had receded quite a bit, but was still noticeable. Still trying to diagnose the cause of the problem, I decided to wear my older running shoes, instead of the Mizunos I've been wearing for the last 5/6 weeks. First 4 miles felt ok (but not perfect), but after that, the muscles/tendons in the knee started to tire. Walking home, I realized that my left foot was splayed while walking. I think this might be the root of my recent problems, so am going to start a series of workouts for the glutes and hip flexors, and try and work on the problem on the treadmill on Tuesday. It would be great to finally realize what's causing my problems, so that at least I can start to fix the issue.

Summary: 5 miles in 37 mins.

things dont really seem to be improving for you , does your psycho not know what the problem is ? is edinburgh still on the agenda ?

Hi Seres, believe it or not, things are looking a little better. If I can figure out what's causing the problem, then I can fix it. I stopped going to the (psycho!) after the initial problem was remedied. I'd say I have a 1/20 chance of seeing the Edinburgh start line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Funny you should mention going back to old runners Krusty. I bought a pair of mizuno wave creation and brooks ghost before Connemara and only wore them for short runs, after Connemara I started rotating between them, when I got injured I went back to the old favourite nimbus. Haven't run today myself. Gunna head out on the bike for a half an hour or so in a few minutes. I'm sick of bloody stretching. :)

things dont really seem to be improving for you , does your psycho not know what the problem is ? is edinburgh still on the agenda ?
    physio, sorry , :o, i can imagine how hilarious that read !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Woddle wrote: »
    Tough call Krusty and I don't envy you having to make it. What I would say though is, what is the point in getting a pb in Scotland (can't spell Edin.. :D) and possibly causing more harm, only to hammer it in Berlin ;)

+1 on this, and the woddle speaks sense. I hope in the meantime there's signs of improvement and you're getting closer to proper training. all the best.

There's a few minor twiches of improvement. :)

Today:
    Morning: Weights, core strength, foam roller and glutes and hip-flexor exercises
    Evening: Swim lessons! Running is sooo last year. Swimming is the new running. First lesson in 28 years. I have a long way to go, unless I can learn to breathe under-water. Still, enjoyed it despite a leg-cramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

6 days since I last run, I headed out to the park for 5 miles today. Leg pain had receded quite a bit, but was still noticeable. Still trying to diagnose the cause of the problem, I decided to wear my older running shoes, instead of the Mizunos I've been wearing for the last 5/6 weeks. First 4 miles felt ok (but not perfect), but after that, the muscles/tendons in the knee started to tire. Walking home, I realized that my left foot was splayed while walking. I think this might be the root of my recent problems, so am going to start a series of workouts for the glutes and hip flexors, and try and work on the problem on the treadmill on Tuesday. It would be great to finally realize what's causing my problems, so that at least I can start to fix the issue.

Summary: 5 miles in 37 mins.
    Shangannagh? How many laps is that Krusty

If you don't go over the bridge (Dart Line) each lap is almost exactly 2k (1.25 miles), so 5 miles is 4 laps. You can add an extra mile or two by running around the fields 'on the other side of the tracks'. :)

Today: 75 mins in the gym, between recumbent bike, cross-trainer, stepper, rowing machine, and upright bike. Hopped onto the treadmill, but that only lasted around 2 minutes. :mad: I've never been fitter, and never been so unable to run.

Tomorrow: is the day I've allocated to decide whether or not to go ahead with Edinburgh. The plan is that if I can do a 15 mile run comfortably and feel ok the next day, I'll proceed. Given that I couldn't even run a km on the treadmill today, I reckon the outcome is pretty much predetermined. I just don't want to say it out loud. Must be almost time to buy a bicycle and start working on my swim and 5k time. :)

• Advertisement

Today: 75 mins in the gym, between recumbent bike, cross-trainer, stepper, rowing machine, and upright bike. Hopped onto the treadmill, but that only lasted around 2 minutes. :mad: I've never been fitter, and never been so unable to run.

Tomorrow: is the day I've allocated to decide whether or not to go ahead with Edinburgh. The plan is that if I can do a 15 mile run comfortably and feel ok the next day, I'll proceed. Given that I couldn't even run a km on the treadmill today, I reckon the outcome is pretty much predetermined. I just don't want to say it out loud. Must be almost time to buy a bicycle and start working on my swim and 5k time. :)
    go for it krusty , did my first tri last september and loved it , the atmosphere at these events is fantastic, only problem is when you recovery enough to run you wont know which sport you want to do :confused:
    there is one on in lough key forest park , roscommon , in september , lots of time to sort out your swim ;)

go for it krusty , did my first tri last september and loved it , the atmosphere at these events is fantastic, only problem is when you recovery enough to run you wont know which sport you want to do :confused:
    there is one on in lough key forest park , roscommon , in september , lots of time to sort out your swim ;)
    Who said anything about triathlons? I'm a runner! I just want to improve my swim and cycle. ;)

3 Miles today. Not too comfortable. Officially pulling out of the Edinburgh marathon. Going to take a break from running for at least two or three weeks.

New plan: I'm hoping to maintain my level of fitness by doing the following sessions:
    Monday: Weights and core strength / 1 Hr Swim (Lesson)
    Tuesday: Gym - Cross training
    Wednesday: Cycle (Fast - 1 hour?)
    Thursday: Weights and core
    Friday: 1 Hr Swim (Practice)
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Cycle(Long - 2 hours?)
    Any feedback would be most greatfully received. Time isn't really an issue.

Will hopefully be in a position to start running again in the first week or two of June. Will start running slow, and build it up, and hopefully kick off a P&D plan for Berlin around mid-June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

sorry to hear that mate, hope you are not too p***ed off, sounds like you could do with the break though not that I'd know much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Bad luck KC. Theres a fine line that separates a fit runner from an unfit runner and luck has a lot to do with it.

Thanks SJ, but for me injury represents failure, rather than luck. I think it points to a poor training strategy (or rather some poor decisions) rather than being unlucky. But this is how I learn. I'm now taking the break that I probably should have taken months ago. Onwards and upwards. No sense in getting down about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Thats the spirit Krusty. Now can someone point me in the direction of Berlin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Who said anything about triathlons? I'm a runner! I just want to improve my swim and cycle. ;)

Yeah right!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear that KC. :(
    I'm in a similar position to yourself. I've got what is possibly my last pre-Edinburgh physio session on Tuesday, I've not run since last Saturday and that was really painful. Had a session this evening so will try a run tomorrow and saturday maybe. Next Wednesday I suppose is my time to decide, although I'm not confident about my fitness levels now either way. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Sorry to hear you are not doing Edinburgh... Don't be too hard on yourself... These things happen!!! Take a good break and you will come back stronger than ever.

BTW - Just make sure you defer your Edinburgh place for next year?? Can be an option for next year!!

Advertisement