Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running for Fitness/Weight loss

• 22-02-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Stats

Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 15 Stone 4lbs (6lbs lost since 1st Feb)

Goal:

Weight 13 stone anything!
    To run a marathon

Here's bit a potted history...

My only interest is in running, when I was in my late teens/early twenties I was a pretty good middle distance runner once ran a mile in (4:27), but thats a lifetime ago and have lost all my speed/physique etc. I got serious about training in my late twenties and got back into reasonably good shape but about 6 years ago I snapped my achillies tendon and spent 4 months in a various casts and about another 2 months before I could walk without a limp and basically my weight exploed to over 16 stone (and I looked it) then I got serious about walking/hiking long distances and loved the feeling after walking long distances without any distraction.

In 2006 one of the guys in work took up running and I said I'd give it a go and was instantly hooked again, spent that summer training for the Dublin Marathon and got my weight down to 14st (ran a few half marathons), Unfortunately my wife got very sick and the wheels came off my training and much the same story last year.

So this February I am starting on another running/weight loss program.

Here's the basics of my running log to date:

Date Time Distance Average/Mile
    03-Feb 0:30:00 3.6 0:08:20
    05-Feb 0:25:50 3.1 0:08:20
    06-Feb 0:30:00 3.6 0:08:20
    08-Feb 0:30:00 3.7 0:08:06

11-Feb 0:24:00 3.0 0:08:00
    13-Feb 0:23:22 3.0 0:07:47
    15-Feb 0:26:00 3.1 0:08:23

20-Feb 0:31:20 3.7 0:08:28
    21-Feb 0:25:55 3.1 0:08:22
    22-Feb 0:33:30 4.0 0:08:22

I plan to add some distance next month and keep to a dedicated 4 times a week. I'm familiar with training routines and keeping logs so hopefully i can see this one out. I do a small bit of weight training at home mainly with my own set of 10kg dumbells.

My diet is reasonably good with little or no alcohol or junk food. So for the wieght going to aim for 5lb per calendar month and on the basis of loosing weigh my running should improve..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

best of luck IKE with your background/expierance you should have the knowledge of training plans and various do's and dont's so with a bit of well deserved luck you should make good progress. look forward to reading your log, best of luck again .
    SUNGOD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Lunchtime run of 3.5 miles in 27:30 anything under 8 min/mile at the moment is good for me so happy with that. My next weigh in will be the 1st March. I'm already ahead with my 5lb per month target so it will be interesting to see how I start next month...

Roll on long evenings..

5 miles today in 40:30 (an mini goal of mine is to break the 40 minute mark for 5 miles) - struggled a bit for the last half mile probably because i have'nt ran 5 miles since last April. Still feels good tho! :D

Next 'official' weigh in is friday..

5km on the threadmill in 25min.

Hoping to head out with a guy frm work on sunday morning to try and break the 40min barrier for the 5 miles - he's a good runner and would conmfortably complete 5 miles in around 33 mins, so he's going to pace me for sub 40.

Jaysus i miss white bread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

ike wrote: »
    once ran a mile in (4:27)

That's quality - you've great potential, just stick at it and go nice and easy, only gradually progressing. Rule of thumb - don't increase quantity (or quality) by more than 10% a week.

• Advertisement

Hit the scales this morning at 212lbs (15st 2lbs) thats 8lbs off this for februrary, So I want to weigh in at the end of march at 207lbs (14st 11lbs).

Enjoying the running so need to keep adding some more distance with a steady build up this month..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just come accross your log now, good stuff. Best of luck with your training goals, I'm looking forward to reading about your progression.

Thanks guys!

Did a 5 miler this mornig in 39:06! :D Well pleased didn't feel comfortable at all but the time more than makes up for it, nearly felt like passing out at the end - took a long time too cool down. My own fault didn't hydrate enough before hand.

Feeling good now two hours later - guess i just needed to be brought out of my comfort zone

Jebus work this morning feeling like crap - with big dose of the runs and pukes, was expecting the legs to be sore after yesterday (and they are). Skipped work and went back to bed and slept solid til 1 O'Clock, was totally wiped feeling a lot better now.

Hopefully this dose is more of a coincidence than from overdoing it yesterday.

Either way I've only planned a few of easy 3 miles for this week

Ran an easy two miles (16:40) this lunchtime, my calves are still a bit sore after Sundays run - so I did'nt want to overdo it. Felt I could have comfortably done another 1 or 2 but better safe than sorry at this stage

• Advertisement

Not much too add...I'm taking a rest today as I definately strained my calf at the weekend still sore to touch, went for a light 3 mile walk last night instead and did about 20 mins weights at home.

Calf feeling much better today - was itching to get out for a run so did a 5k at lunchtime in 24:44 - and feeling much better for it. No opportunities to run this weekend as Mrs Ike is working all weekend so have to mind the two junior ike's!

Feeling really comfortable with the 3-4 mile runs so going to add a 5-6mile into the mix each week. Had actually applied for Ballycotton but i missed the deadline by about a week.

3.5 miles at lunchtime in 28:09 - trying to keep as close to 8 min miles as possible - its getting a bit easier, want to fit in at least 3 more runs this week. Pushing myself a bit harder has helped as I tend to get too comfortable slogging around at 8:30+ per mile.

I've stabilised my diet and I'm comfortable with what I eat and more importantly what I don't eat

4 miles today in 32:08 felt very comfortable. One thing I've done is change my running stride gradually in that I'm taking longer easier strides which for me has made the running more comfortable. I've also increased my arm action which helps to move things along. I've been doing about 20 min of weights at home each evening mainly working on the upper body and this definately helps the arm action.

3 miles in 23:50. Ran the first 2 in 16:00 flat and pushed the last mile a bit harder to go under 24:00.

Been looking at my running logs for this year and last year - in 2006 my overall mile average was 8:18 in 2007 is was 8:16 so far this year it's averaging at 8:08. Admittedly I haven't ran further than 5 miles so far, but still its feels like progress is being made.

Will probably do a weigh in at the weekend to see how I'm getting on at the mid point of March. My target for the end of March is 207lbs (14st 11lbs).

I've long hair so I'm getting a haircut at the weekend which should contribute to a few pounds extra lost and maybe a faster mile! :D

Wanted to push myself over 5k, ran the first 1k in 5:00 and upped the pace for the last 4 to around 4:36. Finished in 23:28 which averaged me just over 4:40/Km or 7:34/mile, so I'm well pleased with those figures. More important is the fact that I felt good for nearly all the distance and had a bit more left in the tank.

The fact that I'm approx a stone lighter since early Feb has definately made it easier..

Did a mid month weigh in a hit the scales at 14st 10lbs (206lbs) so ahead of my target for the this month. So I might as well aim to be 14st 7lb for the end of March.

I'm on two weeks leave so as I'm not in work my usual running routine will have to be different, going to be running on grass for the next two weeks so that will be a change for the roads.

Concentrating a lot more on the weights routine making sure my technique etc is right, its only about 20mins 5 times per week but definately feeling the benefits of that as well. I'll post up details of the routine at some stage.

hi ike id be interested to see what kind of weights routine you do,as someone who's training consists mainly of just running i would like to see what another runner would use as a weights programme.
    i know some of the other logs have excellent routines and advice but i find there main activity is weight training where as after i have finished my marathon training i would like to find a programme to integrate with my running which wouldnt take up too much time
    thanks ike

Hey Sungod,

It's pretty basic my equipment just consists of 2X10Kg dumbbell sets (its the set of York ones in Argos), which can be made lighter or heavier depending Likewise time is a big issue for me so as a runner nearly all my time goes into that, so I save the bit of weight training for the evening time ususally 'round the time when there's crap on the telly!

Its mainly arms and shoulders I'm concentrating on. It starts off with 2 sets of 12 standard biceps curls. The best way for me to explain my shoulder routine is to check out the video on this link.

http://rippednaturalbodybuilding.com/13/sharpen-your-shoulders-to-precision/

I do a complete set of all 4 with 8 reps of each, its tough going initially as the weights don't hit the floor until all 4 reps are finished.

Then I repeat the 2x12 biceps curls followed by another 4x8 shoulder rep and thats it! I definately feel this has helped me somewhat as i feel i can get a bit more drive with my arm on a steep uphill or when I start to push the pace.

I suppose the main thing is not to rush each move but rather use the muscles that your trying to work on. There's probably a lot more that I could be doing, but the best way to get better at running is to run! So I'll probably review it again in a month or two and look at a overall core strength routine.

thanks ike its good to get the opion of someone else whos primary training is running ,its definetely something im going to introduce in to my own training
    good stuff thanks ike

• Advertisement

Due to circumstances I couldnt get out for a run yesterday so a bit pi$$ed off over that...anyway did 4.82km (3miles) on a grass couse today in 23:23. It felt a bit strange running on grass for the first time in a long time, the ground is a little bit more uneven but once I settled it was grand. Great day for running too the sun was shining and only a light breeze.

Got delivery of my Garmin Forerunner 205 on friday so it was the first time to use it, found it to be extremently useful allowed my to pick up or slow down the pace as needed and I had no idea of how long the course I was running on was so it was a help there too. From downloading the run details to the PC I was able to see that my pace tended to fluctuate a bit, so I want to keep an eye on that from now on.

As I'm not I work for the next 2 weeks I won't be near the gym so the temptation to run on a nice comfortable threadmill won't be there! So I going to have to run regardless of weather

More of the same today - 3 miles in 23:31 my pacing was all over the place but still averaged the overall pace the same as yesterday. I've a feeling its to do with runing on the grass I don;t get the same bounce/feeling as I do from the road, but still I'm enjoing it! Want to aim for 4 miles tomorrow and 5 on Friday

Not a great run today did 4 miles in 34:15 which averaged at 8:33, a lot slower that I have been running of late would have hoped to complete that in much closer to 32:00. Not sure why maybe it was because I was running into a strong headwind most of the time...Anyway going to have a serious talk with myself now!

3 miles today in 24:18 much better than yesterday, it was extremely windy out so reasonably happy with that.

Got talking to a mate of mine who used to run years ago like myself and he's after taking it up again and is at basically the same level as myself so we're going to try and do a bit of training together.

Ok been off the air for few days as was on a bit of a family get together in the Glen of Aherlow. Had vision of piggin' out and boozing but I did show a bit of restraint, I even packed my running gear. Managed to get in 2 short runs over the 3 days. It was more like trail running up and down hills through forest trails did 2 x 2.5 miles sessions, my quads are a bit stiff after the steep hills so looking forward to more level and even ground for the res of the week

Fair play to anyone who does hill/mountain running!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ICX

ike wrote: »
    3 miles today in 24:18 much better than yesterday, it was extremely windy out so reasonably happy with that.

Got talking to a mate of mine who used to run years ago like myself and he's after taking it up again and is at basically the same level as myself so we're going to try and do a bit of training together.

This is a great idea it will bring ye both on and it makes the run less tedious... used to run with my brother and we were both at the same level too.
    Keep up the good work.

Yup hoping to hook up with him at the weekend for a run.

Ran 3 miles today in 23:41 averaging around 7:54/mi so happy enough with that. My pacing was a lot more consistant each lap I do is .85 mile so just over 3.5 laps is 3 miles. I ran the first three circuits in 6:46, 6:38, 6:39 respectively. Running up and down those hills at the weekend seems to have helped!

I feel my weight is on target but won't bother with a weigh in until the weekend

4 miles today in 32:04 - good run very consistant pace throughout - back in work tomorrow so might treat myself to a nice comfortable threadmill run! I'm very much a fine day runner and love running in hot weather but forcing myself to run outdoors for the last 2 weeks has helped as I've never done as much consistant running this early in the year.

Have decided to start some serious miles come May and will see how that goes before I decide on the marathon.

Chickened out of a road run today and did 5k on the threadmill on 23:56. Will see how the weekend goes and might get another few miles on one of the days. Been averaging about 12 miles per week for the last 8 weeks and will increase that to 14-15 for April.

I really want to get my weight down to 14st before I start going for longer runs

• Advertisement

Hooked up with my mate today and we did 3.4 miles in 27:40 a very steady 8:08/mi very consistant pace throughout.

Advertisement