Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The truth!

• 19-10-2007 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

That's what going to go in here, and nothing but! The title is also to remind me of this.

I've been meaning to do this for a while... so here goes:

I'm male, just turned 30 (last month) and am in a reasonable state of fitness. I'm 5' 10', and was 83 kilos last time I weighed myself (probably a couple of months ago). My first target here is to weigh myself, get my body fat percentage, and find some way of regularly getting both so that I can chart my progress (I don't currently own a weighing scales so if there was a reasonably priced one that could do both accurately then Robert's your father's brother). I'd estimate that my BFI is in the teens, but honestly wouldn't have a clue as to high or low teens.

Exercise/Training:

My weekly regime of exercise currently works out something like this:

Monday: Cycle into work (Cycle is usually 20-25 mins 3/4 pace). Gym at lunchtime - 40 mins weights only (Chest). Cycle home after work.

Tuesday: Cycle into work. Gym at lunchtime - 40 mins weights only (Shoulders+Upper Traps). Cycle home after work. Football training - 2 hours. 1st hour on grass doing drills, ball work, SAQ type stuff. 2nd hour 6 aside astro matches.

Wednesday: Cycle into work. Gym at lunchtime - 40 mins weights only (Deadlifts+Triceps). Cycle home after work.

Thursday: Cycle into work. Gym at lunchtime - 45 mins weights only (Back+Biceps). Cycle home after work. Football training - 1.5 hours on grass, SAQ type stuff, ball work.

Friday: Rest.

Saturday: Usually a match in the afternoon, if not then maybe the gym.

Sunday: Rest.

Diet:

On an average weekday, my diet would go something like this:

8am - Before cycle into work - shake consisting of: 1 Scoop Whey Protein, 1 cup porridge oats, half a banana (eat the other half making it), 1 teaspoon linseeds, 1 teaspoon wheatgerm, 1 teaspoon honey, water.

9am - First thing in work - some water. Then coffee.

11am - first half of lunchbox I've brought in, heated. These usually consists of brown rice and some homemade chicken/beef type curry/chilli/stew.

12pm - 3 jaffa cakes + 5mgs creatine pre-workout

1.30pm - Nutrition X RAM shake post workout

2.30pm - second half of lunchbox, heated

3.30pm - coffee, sometimes a piece of fruit, some nuts or a bar of chocolate

6pm - arrive home. If I'm football training later I'll have a shake consisting of 1/2 cup porridge oats, small scoop whey. If no training dinner - usually something like baked salmon, brown rice, veg.

If I'm football training, I'll have some water/glucose/salt/cordial (aka homemade lucozade sport) during training, and a RAM shake after. Then a light meal later like an omelette.

Evenings - might snack on popcorn if watching a DVD, or make a sandwich if I get hungry.

Before bed - a glass of milk, or a protein shake with milk if I haven't eaten late and feel I need it.

On Saturdays, I usually would wake and half the protein/porridge shake, then if I'm playing a match have a little fruit or something sugary to give me a spike before the match. After match I'll have a RAM shake, and a meal later on. Then it's Saturday night, and there's no routine here, but more often than not there's several pints of Guinness and whatever else involved. Haven't been eating take-aways on the way home of late, but could easily snack along the way on rubbish during the night, depending where I am and what's on offer!

Goals:

1. To get faster on the football pitch. My manager says I'm "one paced". A polite way of saying I'm slow. Now the thing is this isn't really all that much to do with age - I never was the quickest. But I feel that if I put in the work training hard, and try to focus some of my training to make me quicker of the mark, that way when I won't get any slower! Amibitious, but hey, you gotta aim high...

2. To get stronger. I've never tried to do 1RM type lifts, so I can't quote what my personal bests are. Currently on chest days if I was doing bench, I'd be working up to 5 sets of 70Kgs. Now I want to at least be able to bench my own weight, so I've got another 10-15Kgs to go. After that, the 100 mark is my next goal.

3. To lose the layer of fat on the stomach. It's not exactly a beer belly, but there is and always has been a layer of fat around my midriff which masks what I know are half decent stomach muscles underneath! I put this down to working at a desk. I'm sitting down at a computer for most if not all of my working day. Ok though, I know I can work harder at my diet and cut out the rubbish in the snacking department, so I'll try to do that. Plus what I have to do is try to figure out exactly how many calories I should be getting in a day, and try to plan out my days eating a bit better.

What next?

1. First things - get my weight and body fat taken.

2. Start taking a note of exactly what weights/reps I'm using in the gym at lunchtime, so I can chart some kind of progress and hopefully the odd fitness forum guru will chip in with advice on how I can do things better.

3. Work out my recommended calorie count for training days / rest days / pre + post match days.

4. Start using the handy little new kitchen scales we got a present of to start weighing the food I'm eating!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Check out www.fitday.com if you want to start logging your foods to find out the breakdown of cals, fats, carbs and proteins per day.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Thanks for the heads up on that site - looks interesting and will dig more into

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

nicely done, you've got clear goals and a plan to achieve them. Looking forward to reading your progress dude

Thanks for the input Vegeta!

The weekend consisted of staying in Friday evening trying to study (have a poxy exam on Wednesday that I'm shall we say a small bit behind on the preparation). Got a good night sleep on Saturday evening (10 hours), and then up and had a protein/porridge oats shake in advance of my match. Had an espresso and some fruit as well nearer the time.

I was dropped from the starting 11, was expecting it after being taken off at half time the last 2 games. 1st time was fair enough, 2nd time I thought I was unfair, but hey - that's another thread's rant! So came on left side midfield on Saturday (I'm usually a left-full), for the last 30 minutes. We were 1 nil down (albeit after missing some glorious chances), ended up getting the draw. An inspired substitution obviously :rolleyes:

So after that I had a RAM shake, then home for a rest. Girlfriend had a heavy night the previous night, so a take-away was called. Not the worst kind - a thai from Diep Noodles in Ranelagh, so Chicken Krapow + boiled rice for me, along with some shrimp crackers. Stuffed to say the least. Went out then to meet a mate + watch the Rugby World Cup Final, 3 pints of Guinness and into the National Stadium for the John Duddy fight. 5 or so pints of Guinness after that, then home, no chips.

Sunday - protein/porridge shake for breakfast, lunch was at a friend's kid's Christening (cold buffet type + 1 Guinness, was driving), dinner was some rice/eggs.

So today is back to the routine. Protein/porridge/banana shake for breakfast, then 25 minute cycle into work. Coffee when I hit the desk. Had a bap with some mayo/swiss cheese/2 boiled eggs/lettuce @ 11. 2 jaffa cakes and 10mgs creatine @ 12. Gym at 12.30.

Gym session was chest day:

Warmup.
    Bench - 10x40Kgs, 10x50Kgs, 8x60Kgs, 6x65Kgs, 3x70Kgs, 5x70Kgs (assisted), 5x70Kgs (assisted), 6x60Kgs, 6x60Kgs.
    Cable Standing Fly - 12x27.5, 10x30, 8x32.5, 6x35, 6x35, 8x30
    Dumbbell Bench Press - 10x22.5Kgs, 8x25Kgs, 5x27.5Kgs, 3x27.5Kgs, 3x27.5Kgs, 6x25Kgs, 6x25Kgs.
    Dumbbell Fly - 10x16Kgs, 10x16kgs, 6x20Kgs, 6x20Kgs, 8x16Kgs
    Bench - 8x40Kgs, 8x40Kgs.

A RAM shake after that, and a Roast in a Roll - some roast turkey/ham, cheese/tomato/lettuce in a roll. Forgot to defrost my lunchbox so eating out of deli today.

Will be cycling home later, that's my exercise over for today.

Morning - cycled into work

Lunchtime - Gym session - Back/Biceps:

Chin ups - x6, x6, x5, x5, x4, x4
    Lever front pulldown - 90x10, 100x10, 110x10, 120x8, 140x6, 140x6, 120x8

Supersets of
    Dumbbell Bent-over Row - 22.5x10, 25x10, 27.5x10, 30x8, 32.5x6, 32.5x6, 25x10
    Seated Dumbbell Curl - 7.5x20, 12.5x10, 12.5x10, 12.5x8, 12.5x8, 12.5x7, 12.5x6

Cable Front Pulldown - 25x10, 27.5x10, 30x10
    EZ Bar Curl - 12.5x10, 12.5x10, 12.5x10

Will cycle home after work.

Football training this evening will consist of 7.45-8.45 - training on grass - SAQ / ball work. 9-10 astro - 6/7 aside matches

• Advertisement

Got a bit of a dent put in my plans at football training on Tuesday night. It was midway through the astro session, the ball was coming across to me and I knew I was getting there before the other guy, so I slowed a little and was going to just dink it past him. My foot got caught somehow in the turf just as I was about to connect with the ball, my leg came over my foot, bending it back and putting my weight down on it. It felt like there was a crack, and I couldn't move for a couple of minutes. I got some water on it, and elevated it, and it seemed to settle down a bit. I was able to hobble to the car and drive slowly home. Once there I got some ice on it and elevated it again, but seeing as I could move it a little and put weight on it, I decided it wasn't broken so to go to bed. I awoke at 4 am in a lot of pain, hobbled into the kitchen to get some painkillers (Anadin Max Strength was all that was there), and lay writhing in bed until they took effect. So lay there deciding whether to pay a visit up to the Beacon clinic or not. I've been to the hospital a couple of times with football injuries (bruised ribs, bruised metatarsil) but each time I spend hours and hours waiting, only to get the x-ray back, told it's not broken and to go home. So feck it, wasn't it the humour for that again, but also wasn't in the humour to shell out a couple of hundred quid in the Beacon (that I don't have!), only to be told the same thing.

I'm assuming there's ligament damage, it's swollen up now on both sides of the ankle with the bottom of each swelling turning black. Not nice to look at. I've an appointment with the physio later this evening, I'll let him decide whether it needs an x-ray or not.

So yesterday I did nothing other than hobble around, today was more of the same. I'm hoping to be back on the bike tomorrow (feck it, if I can walk on it I can cycle - as long as I stay in the saddle most of the weight stays on my back side!), and also hoping to get to the gym at lunchtime for some shoulders/triceps work. My squatting/deadlifting will be put on hold, as will my football training.

I'll update again after the physio appointment, my prognosis would be 4-6 weeks from playing ball.

It's annoying getting injuries, I get more than my share, but I suppose these things are sent to test us.

Was up with the physio last night. He said he couldn't say for definite that there wasn't a fracture, but that was only because he didn't have an x-ray machine. It more than likely isn't, because of how I can walk on it so soon after it happened. He tested all the ligaments and they all responded well, so there's no major damage done there - great news! With all that done though, he was a bit stumped as to what exactly happened that would cause it to look like it did. He put it down to a 'burst synovial capsule' in the ankle joint itself, which would have been caused by the bones separating as the weight came down on it, and would explain the inflammation all around the joint which is localised enough - there's no swelling in the foot or further up the leg.
    4-8 weeks before I'm playing ball again, but hey - I'm upbeat enough seeing there's no major damage done. I've to go back to him on Tues when it settles down a bit.
    I cycled into work today, and will cycle home, that'll be more or less all the exercise for the weekend.

Had a return visit to the physio last night. The bruising has more or less gone but the ankle is still quite puffy. I can start work on the wobble board, a few exercises he gave me, and stretching it up/down/left/right with an elastic band.

I haven't been in the gym since last week, but will get back to it tomorrow. The only exercise at the moment for me is cycling to/from work.

Hopefully getting back into the routine today!

Day so far has consisted of:
    Porridge oats/protein shake 8am.
    Cycled into work 25 mins.
    9am Coffee in work with a couple of sweets somebody who was on holidays brought back.
    Sandwich @ 11am, brown sliced pan + mayo + 2 boiled eggs + lettuce.
    10mgs Creatine @ 12pm

Gym - 12.30 - 1.30pm:

Chest:
    Warmup
    Bench - 40Kgs x 12, 50Kgs x 10, 60Kgs x 6, 65Kgs x 4, 65Kgs x 4, 65Kgs x 3, 65Kgs x 3, 60Kgs x 4, 50 Kgs x 8, 50 Kgs x 6
    Dumbbell Fly - 15Kgs x 12, 16Kgs x 12, 20Kgs x 10, 20Kgs x 10, 20Kgs x 10
    Dumbbell Bench Press - 22.5Kgs x 8, 25Kgs x 6, 27.5Kgs x 3, 27.5Kgs x 4, 27.5Kgs x 3, 27.5Kgs x 3, 25Kgs x 6 , 25Kgs x 6

Stomach:
    Situps - Regular - 75, Left twist - 50, Right twist - 50
    Overhead leg raises - 25

After gym - RAM shake

Lunch now - roast beef bagel

Will cycle home after work

Yesterday evening I couldn't go football training because of the ankle, so went out with her indoors instead. Only had 2 pints, but topped it off with taco fries from Abra, very bold.

This morning was the usual - up @ 8, protein/porridge shake, cycle to work.

Had a boiled egg/lettuce/bacon bap @ 11.

Gym at 12.

Chin-ups
    x5, x5, x5, x4.8, x4, x4

Lat pull downs
    90x12, 100x10, 110x10, 120x8, 140x6x2, 120x8x2

Dumbbell Bent-over Row
    22.5x10, 25x10, 27.5x10, 30x10, 32.5x6x2, 30x8x2

Sit-ups
    Regular - 75, Left twist - 50, Right twist - 50
    Overhead leg raises - 25

Will cycle home later.

Am undecided whether I'll hit the gym over the weekend. I feel I could do with some tricep/bicep stuff so I'll see.

• Advertisement

Short session today, am feeling a little queasy right now, it came on in the gym and I just got sapped of energy.

Did supersets of:

Dips
    x8, x10, x10, x10, x10, x8
    EZ Bar
    (not sure how much the bar weighs, I'm guessing at 10Kgs)
    20Kgs x 12 x 2, 25Kgs x 10 x 4

Close Grip Bench
    30Kgs x 12, 40Kgs x 10, 45Kgs x 8, 45Kgs x 6, 40Kgs x 8 x 2

Chest:

Warmup

Bench
    40Kgs x 10, 50Kgs x 10, 60Kgs x 8, 65Kgs x 5, 70Kgs x 2, 70Kgs x 2, 65Kgs x 3, 60Kgs x 5, 60 Kgs x 4

Dumbbell Fly
    14Kgs x 12, 15Kgs x 10, 16Kgs x 10, 17.5Kgs x 10, 20Kgs x 8, 20Kgs x 8

Dumbbell Bench Press
    22.5Kgs x 8, 25Kgs x 6, 27.5Kgs x 3, 27.5Kgs x 4, 27.5Kgs x 2, 25Kgs x 5, 25Kgs x 4

Cable Fly (Standing)
    20x15, 25x10, 27.5x10, 30x8x2

Stomach

Situps
    Regular - 75
    Left twist - 55, Right twist - 55

Overhead leg raises

On the Dumbbell Bench Press I was using my left glute to get the last rep up, form was pretty poor

Bit of a mixed bad today:

Chin-ups
    x6, x6, x5, x5, x4.5, x4

Lat pull downs
    90x12, 100x10, 110x10, 120x8, 140x6x2, 120x8x2

Dumbbell Bent-over Row
    22.5x12, 25x10, 27.5x10, 30x10, 32.5x6x2, 30x8x2

Seated Dumbbell Curls
    12.5x8x2, 12.5x7x2, 12.5x6x2

Dead Lift
    50x8, 60x5, 70x4, 80x2x2, 70x4

Sit-ups
    Regular - 80, Left twist - 60, Right twist - 60
    Overhead leg raises - 30

Shoulders

Military Press
    30x8x2, 35x6, 40x4, 40x5, 40x4, 35x4, 30x8

Supersets
    Dumbbell Front Raise
    5x12, 7.5x10, 10x8x3, 7.5x8x3
    Rear Delt Fly (Lever)
    70x12, 80x10, 90x10, 100x8x2, 100x6, 90x8

Dumbbell Shoulder Press (Standing)
    14x8, 15x8, 16x7, 17.5x4x2, 16x6

Barbell Shrug
    40x10, 50x10, 60x10x3

Was at the physio last night, it was 2 weeks + 2 days since the injury and he said it was looking better than expected, which was a relief as I don't usually heal the quickest.
    There is still some swelling, but it was responding well to tests.

I'd say it's another week before I'm running, then another after that before I'm back football training. After his initial estimate of 4 - 8 weeks that would be on the short side. Great!

Chest:

Warmup

Bench
    45Kgs x 10, 55Kgs x 8, 60Kgs x 8, 65Kgs x 5, 70Kgs x 4, 70Kgs x 3, 70Kgs x 2, 60Kgs x 6 x 2

Dumbbell Fly
    14Kgs x 10, 16Kgs x 10, 17.5Kgs x 10, 20Kgs x 10 x 2

Dumbbell Bench Press
    22.5Kgs x 8, 25Kgs x 6, 27.5Kgs x 5, 27.5Kgs x 4, 27.5Kgs x 3, 25Kgs x 5, 25Kgs x 4

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

joker77 wrote: »
    That's what going to go in here, and nothing but! The title is also to remind me of this.

I've been meaning to do this for a while... so here goes:

I'm male, just turned 30 (last month) and am in a reasonable state of fitness. I'm 5' 10', and was 83 kilos last time I weighed myself (probably a couple of months ago). My first target here is to weigh myself, get my body fat percentage, and find some way of regularly getting both so that I can chart my progress (I don't currently own a weighing scales so if there was a reasonably priced one that could do both accurately then Robert's your father's brother). I'd estimate that my BFI is in the teens, but honestly wouldn't have a clue as to high or low teens.

Exercise/Training:

My weekly regime of exercise currently works out something like this:

Monday: Cycle into work (Cycle is usually 20-25 mins 3/4 pace). Gym at lunchtime - 40 mins weights only (Chest). Cycle home after work.

Tuesday: Cycle into work. Gym at lunchtime - 40 mins weights only (Shoulders+Upper Traps). Cycle home after work. Football training - 2 hours. 1st hour on grass doing drills, ball work, SAQ type stuff. 2nd hour 6 aside astro matches.

Wednesday: Cycle into work. Gym at lunchtime - 40 mins weights only (Deadlifts+Triceps). Cycle home after work.

Thursday: Cycle into work. Gym at lunchtime - 45 mins weights only (Back+Biceps). Cycle home after work. Football training - 1.5 hours on grass, SAQ type stuff, ball work.

Friday: Rest.

Saturday: Usually a match in the afternoon, if not then maybe the gym.

Sunday: Rest.

Diet:

On an average weekday, my diet would go something like this:

8am - Before cycle into work - shake consisting of: 1 Scoop Whey Protein, 1 cup porridge oats, half a banana (eat the other half making it), 1 teaspoon linseeds, 1 teaspoon wheatgerm, 1 teaspoon honey, water.

9am - First thing in work - some water. Then coffee.

11am - first half of lunchbox I've brought in, heated. These usually consists of brown rice and some homemade chicken/beef type curry/chilli/stew.

12pm - 3 jaffa cakes + 5mgs creatine pre-workout

1.30pm - Nutrition X RAM shake post workout

2.30pm - second half of lunchbox, heated

3.30pm - coffee, sometimes a piece of fruit, some nuts or a bar of chocolate

6pm - arrive home. If I'm football training later I'll have a shake consisting of 1/2 cup porridge oats, small scoop whey. If no training dinner - usually something like baked salmon, brown rice, veg.

If I'm football training, I'll have some water/glucose/salt/cordial (aka homemade lucozade sport) during training, and a RAM shake after. Then a light meal later like an omelette.

Evenings - might snack on popcorn if watching a DVD, or make a sandwich if I get hungry.

Before bed - a glass of milk, or a protein shake with milk if I haven't eaten late and feel I need it.

On Saturdays, I usually would wake and half the protein/porridge shake, then if I'm playing a match have a little fruit or something sugary to give me a spike before the match. After match I'll have a RAM shake, and a meal later on. Then it's Saturday night, and there's no routine here, but more often than not there's several pints of Guinness and whatever else involved. Haven't been eating take-aways on the way home of late, but could easily snack along the way on rubbish during the night, depending where I am and what's on offer!

Goals:

1. To get faster on the football pitch. My manager says I'm "one paced". A polite way of saying I'm slow. Now the thing is this isn't really all that much to do with age - I never was the quickest. But I feel that if I put in the work training hard, and try to focus some of my training to make me quicker of the mark, that way when I won't get any slower! Amibitious, but hey, you gotta aim high...

2. To get stronger. I've never tried to do 1RM type lifts, so I can't quote what my personal bests are. Currently on chest days if I was doing bench, I'd be working up to 5 sets of 70Kgs. Now I want to at least be able to bench my own weight, so I've got another 10-15Kgs to go. After that, the 100 mark is my next goal.

3. To lose the layer of fat on the stomach. It's not exactly a beer belly, but there is and always has been a layer of fat around my midriff which masks what I know are half decent stomach muscles underneath! I put this down to working at a desk. I'm sitting down at a computer for most if not all of my working day. Ok though, I know I can work harder at my diet and cut out the rubbish in the snacking department, so I'll try to do that. Plus what I have to do is try to figure out exactly how many calories I should be getting in a day, and try to plan out my days eating a bit better.

What next?

1. First things - get my weight and body fat taken.

2. Start taking a note of exactly what weights/reps I'm using in the gym at lunchtime, so I can chart some kind of progress and hopefully the odd fitness forum guru will chip in with advice on how I can do things better.

3. Work out my recommended calorie count for training days / rest days / pre + post match days.

4. Start using the handy little new kitchen scales we got a present of to start weighing the food I'm eating!

This is good joker, clear goals set and your taking logs of everything you cannot hide from this. Here is my meal plan in general, definitely worked for me.

9am
    oatflakes
    cottage cheese
    water
    creatine + fast acting carb mix (ill explain this later)

11pm
    weigh gainer shake
    60% carb
    35% protein
    5% other

1pm
    Meal approx
    55% Carb
    30% Protein
    15% Fat

4pm
    Sandwich, can vary but defo protein present
    Fruit

6pm (on training days)
    creatine + fast acting carb mix

7pm Train

8.30pm
    Shake as described before

Meal
    55:30:15

12 Midnight
    ZZZZzzzzz...

Creatine is supposedly best taken with a fast acting carbohydrate (high sugar). This allows for better absorption into your muscles. I can testify to this having tried both methods.
    If your training for football and working out in the gym, eat planty. Better eat a little too much than too little.

Hope something here helps and keep at it.

Jim

Thanks for the advice Jim - I just got a new delivery of creatine so will put your ideas to the test and see how I get on.

Apart from Tuesday I haven't been in the gym his week, have been struggling to keep a sore throat / cold from getting any worse. On the mend now but still feel it a little, so will wait until next week to get back into it.

Haven't been football training either, but that's because of the ankle. I was on to the physio yesterday, I'm booked in to see him on Tuesday and am under orders not to do any running till then. It feels a good bit better, swelling is more or less gone, but there's still a stiffness there. I'm still hoping to be back training next Thursday though, taking it easy at first.

The cycle in and out of work has kept me ticking over this week, that's about it.

Was back at the gym today, found it very tough but I suppose when you have a break it's sometimes difficult to get back into it. I didn't feel like I'd have the energy, and nearly didn't go, but decided today was the day to get back into it.

Arms:

Warmup

Dips
    x8, x10 x 3, x8 x 2

Seated Dumbbell Curls
    7.5 x 20, 10 x 12, 12.5 x 10 x 2, 12.5 x 8 x 2

Tricep Cable Pushdown
    45 x 15, 55 x 12, 60 x 10 x 4

Supersets

Standing EZ Barbell Curl
    10Kgs+bar x15, 15Kgs+bar x 10 x 3

Close Grip Bench Press
    40 x 10, 45 x 10, 50 x 3

Found out yesterday in work that I will have to go out onto a client's side for the next 6 weeks, starting tomorrow. This means that getting to the gym at lunchtime is not going to be an option.

The plus side for fitness is that my daily cycle is going to jump from 13kms to 23kms a day, so I'll be getting plenty of cardio.

The physio last night said that my ankle is still at least 2 weeks away from getting back playing. Was kind of expecting it as it's still swollen after 4 weeks, it seems to have kind of plateaued.

If I can't train with the club, I'll be trying to get to the gym either in the evenings or on weekends.

• Advertisement

I've purposely neglected this for the last while, mostly because I haven't had a whole lot to report. On the run up to Christmas the ankle wasn't good enough to even run on, plus with working out onsite, various social things to attend, and getting the flu, the fitness suffered. I was cycling as much as I could, but apart from that wasn't doing a whole lot.

So from last weekend, the road to get back to where I was 2 months ago began. I've decided to cut out drink completely for a month, until the end of January when I'm away in Madrid for a weekend. Till then, I'm going to focus on getting the fitness back, plus the strength.

I hit the gym last Monday, New Year's Eve, for about an hour + a half. I spent about 50 minutes or so doing weights, then hit the threadmill. I wasn't getting tired but after 10 minutes the ankle started getting sore, so I decided to stop rather than risk damaging it. Then a quick swim, sauna + steam room and home for a quiet NYE.

Needless to say, I was stiff as a board for a couple of days!

I cycling into work on Wednesday, there was an almighty wind which made it very tough on the way in, I was cursing it but at the same time thinking I needed the challenge. Cycling home was fine.

Thursday evening I went football training - 1 and a half hours on astro. Was a bit cautious at first, the ankle was strapped up well but I was a bit nervous. After a while I got into it, was flying around, felt great to be back playing! Hopefully the ankle will hold up now.

Cycled in and out of work on Friday.

Just back from the gym today, another hour and a half session, shoulders + arms, then 20 minutes on the treadmill. The legs were a good bit stiff after Thurs, the calves especially, so 20 minutes was more than enough.

It feels good to be back at it, I know that in a couple of weeks time I'll be fine, and by the end of the month I'll be in good shape again. Just need to stay fit and well, the training will be tough but mentally I'll be fine, I just need my body to not get sick or injured, as those are the only 2 things that are going to stop me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

After a week or so (3 or 4 sessions) you will probably be back up to where you were back in Nov. Good luck.

Thanks man, always good to get some positive feedback!

Stiff again today after yesterday, but not as bad as I thought I'd be. I was trying to be sensible over Christmas and not eat/drink way too much, I think it may have paid off.

Cycled in and out to work yesterday.

Heading football training now, on account of the bad weather we're only doing a 1 hour astro session this evening.

Cycled into work Wed, Thurs, Fri.

Went football training with the club last night - 1.5 hour session in the gym. They started with a spinning class, I'd already cycled 25Kms already yesterday so skipped that and did some free weights.

Finished up on-site today, so from next week I'll be back to my normal routine! Can't wait.

joker77 wrote: »
    Finished up on-site today, so from next week I'll be back to my normal routine! Can't wait.

It is a pain in the ar$e alright when you are sent off somewhere and have to rethink your whole fitness plan. Happens to me all the time.

So it's back to the routine for me today!

Weighed myself last night before bed - 83.4 Kgs

Up @ 8am, breakfast shake then cycle into work. Coffee after a shower. Bowl of homemade chicken curry + brown rice @ 10.30 am. Teaspoon of creatine @ 12pm, then to the gym for 12.30.

Shoulders

Military Press
    30x10, 32.5x10, 37.5x6x3, 37.5x5

Supersets
    Dumbbell Front Raise

7.5x10, 10x10x2, 7.5x10x3
    Rear Delt Fly (Lever)
    70x12, 80x10x2, 90x8x2, 80x10

Dumbbell Shoulder Press (Standing)
    12.5x10, 14x10, 15x8, 16x5, 14x6x2

Barbell Shrug
    50x10, 60x10, 70x10, 70x8, 60x10

Sit-ups
    Regular - 50, Left twist - 50, Right twist - 50
    Overhead leg raises - 20

RAM shake after workout, will have another big bowl of the chicken curry + brown rice about 3

Will cycle home from work, and that's today's fitness done.

Cycled in to work

Gym - light session on account of football training later

Triceps

Dips
    x8, x10x2, x8x3

Close Grip Bench Press
    30x12, 40x8x3, 40x6x2

Skullcrushers
    18x10, x8x3, x6

Will cycle home, football training for an hour on astro later

Chest

Bench

40x10, 50x8, 60x5, 60x4x2, 60x3, 50x6

Dumbbell Fly
    14x10, 15x10, 16x8, 17.5x5x2

Dumbbell Bench Press
    20x5 - FAIL

I think that doing Triceps yesterday was not a good idea the day before Chest. Especially doing Dips, my chest was stiff to begin with, by the time I got to the Dumbbell Press I just couldn't do it. I'll plan next week better, probably go back to doing Chest on Mondays and Triceps later in the week.

My bench is still a good bit down on what it was. Will take a bit of work to get it back up again. I'm going to try to increase by 2.5Kgs a week on that.

• Advertisement

Rested the legs in terms of cycling yesterday and today.

Had a match last night - played about 40 minutes on astro - good to be back!

Football training this evening is up in Total Fitness again

Advertisement