Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone unused but seal broken

Options
  • 23-04-2014 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a phone, Nokia Lumia 625 yesterday after I broke my I Phone until I could save up enough to buy another one. When I got home and told my partner it turns out he was surprising me with a new I Phone for my birthday, so I dont need the Nokia.

I have everything, the box is unopened, the phone unused, but the security seal was opened by my daughter (4 years old) who got her curious hands on it while I was changing her brothers nappy.

Genuinely have not used the phone or anything like that, but will they accept it back now? I am worried they wont and will be out of pocket over something very small! Surely they have ways to check if the phone was used or something, should I just go in, explain my story and hope for the best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I doubt you'll get your money back, they can't sell it as new anymore since the seal is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

What network is it? I know O2 allow you to exchange within a week for no penalty if you don't like the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why would they take it back there is nothing wrong with the phone?

Is there a system in place in shop you purchased off where you can had back products in a certain number of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

kryogen wrote: »
    I bought a phone, Nokia Lumia 625 yesterday after I broke my I Phone until I could save up enough to buy another one. When I got home and told my partner it turns out he was surprising me with a new I Phone for my birthday, so I dont need the Nokia.

I have everything, the box is unopened, the phone unused, but the security seal was opened by my daughter (4 years old) who got her curious hands on it while I was changing her brothers nappy.

Genuinely have not used the phone or anything like that, but will they accept it back now? I am worried they wont and will be out of pocket over something very small! Surely they have ways to check if the phone was used or something, should I just go in, explain my story and hope for the best?

I think it really comes down to the stores policy on returns.
    Unfortunately, you're not entitled to anything back. No harm contacting the store and asking them.
    But you may have to consider selling it on privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why would they take it back there is nothing wrong with the phone?

Is there a system in place in shop you purchased off where you can had back products in a certain number of days.

Because I dont need it anymore, he has bought me a new I Phone instead.

I will bring it in today and try but am not very hopefully :(

FirstWorldProblems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jogathon wrote: »
    What network is it? I know O2 allow you to exchange within a week for no penalty if you don't like the phone.

That's only on bill pay, not prepay.

@Op As far as I know, no companies will take it back on a chance of mind once the device has been sold. Most will only refund if it is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Tesco take it back as long as it's sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why not just return the unopened one your Husband bought you rather than trying to return the one thats opened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Why not just return the unopened one your Husband bought you rather than trying to return the one thats opened ?

Two different models of phone. She wanted to replace her broken iPhone with another iPhone but couldn't afford it yet so she bought the Nokia as a stop gap. Now that her partner has got / is getting her a new iPhone she doesn't want the Nokia. No point in sending back the phone she wanted in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

They wont take it back.Opened or unopened. Adverts.ie is your friend on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Riamfada wrote: »
    They wont take it back.Opened or unopened. Adverts.ie is your friend on this one.

Only if you sell it for less than thirty yoyos!

:)

Advertisement