Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amateur Drama Festival Circuit 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fudge dice

Well you say the same thing about yellowmoon in the ope section. They have one win and 3 no places!!

I saw Prosperous's Beoing Beoing last night in Shercock and it was one of the best amateur productions I've seen on the circuit! Farce at its best!! The acting was superb and Robert Massey was exceptional as usual! The set, lights all excellent! And the direction was top class! Definitely a contender!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hey guys, is anyone keeping a blog on the latest events and news for the circuit?
    Or any website which lists upcoming plays?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

pog it wrote: »
    Hey guys, is anyone keeping a blog on the latest events and news for the circuit?
    Or any website which lists upcoming plays?

Thanks!

http://www.adci.ie

http://www.itsyourline.com

Very odd result from west waterford last night!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

coghlan wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten me as to why Ballycogley Players can win Wexford after an NP first time out then get a 3th after Wexford and last night get a NP in Shercock

Because it's one persons opinion in each place - the system should be abolished and replaced with a panel of 3 judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 coghlan

Smacks of home town decisions in many cases .Would a crowd vote be a better way maybe charge a fee per vote instead of bringing these judges from afar and the expensive of putting then up .

Yeah, maybe or some sort of mixture between the crowd and a panel. You'd have to view all the plays of a festival to vote to try and avoid people rigging it with a rent a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 coghlan

It's my first year involved at the festival and already I can get a bad smell about some of the results all you have to do is look at the results to see local teams filling the prize spots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The problem with crowd involvement is that a sizeable number of audience mebmers are just out for the nights entertainment. They have neither the experience nor the background to determine the production quality or depth of characterisation, or the technical aspects of theatre production. (Nor do I for that matter, even after years of involvement). Some festivals do have audience awards.

It comes back to the idea of having competition in drama. You have to take the criticism of those entrusted to judge productions based on their experience. Some do very well, others have been questionable. But I don't think there is an easy answer - as 3 adjudicators would require a vastly bigger panel of people to choose from, or the same adj. being in 5 or 6 festivals on a panel.

And at the end of the day, everyone has an opinion, and I'm not sure there has ever been a decision that hasn't aggreaved somebody!

• Advertisement

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe or some sort of mixture between the crowd and a panel. You'd have to view all the plays of a festival to vote to try and avoid people rigging it with a rent a crowd.

doesnt seem to work in the euro vision

Disappointed in the quality and layout of the ADCI's website. Is it all built inside one frame or some such? I found the schedule and I found the link for festivals on google maps but most of them were in 2010 or 2011.

Strange way to go about a website.

Thanks for the links though!

So there we have it the nine groups qualified for athlone! I personally believe it is between the top 4 but them again Athlone is a completely different ball game where everybody has one chance to impress! And as I said before the time between now and Athlone is invaluable for groups! The next stage is the draw next week!

What does everybody make of the draw??

Disappointed in the quality and layout of the ADCI's website. Is it all built inside one frame or some such? I found the schedule and I found the link for festivals on google maps but most of them were in 2010 or 2011.

Strange way to go about a website.

Thanks for the links though!

It's possibly the worst website in Ireland.

As for the draw - I'd say it's now between Bradan and Prosperous.

Ya both bradan, prosperous and Thurles got a great draw!! Can a group ever win on the opening night? Could it be Ballyduff??

Can either of you tell me more about the plays and players in these groups and where I can see them next time?

Can either of you tell me more about the plays and players in these groups and where I can see them next time?

The best place to get info about pre Athlone performance is Facebook! But a lot of the groups have websites! Any group in particular?

None in particular, would be interested in going to the finals in Athlone. Is it hard to get tickets? I'm not part of any group... yet! :)

Also, did any of the finalists put on a Marina Carr play by any chance?

Edit:

Just found the Athlone festival website if anyone is interested:
    http://dramafestival.ie/

The Dean Crowe box office opens at 10.30am on Friday, shows do sell out quickly so don't wait.

From their facebook page..

The Nenagh Players return to Nenagh Arts Centre for their pre- All Ireland Drama Festival run of 'The Outgoing Tide' by Bruce Graham on Wednesday, April 30th and Thursday, May 1st. Tickets on sale soon.

Thurles will announce their pre All Ireland dates soon.

• Advertisement

Thurles Drama Group are staging their pre-All Ireland performances of "A View From The Bridge" on 29 & 30 April and 3 & 4 May @ The Source Arts Centre. The performance on 4th May is a matinee @ 2:30.

For those not on facebook I also saw this

All Ireland Finalists Ballyduff Drama Group present their award winning production of Sam Shepard's 'Curse of the Starving Class' directed by Ger Canning, before they embark for the All Ireland in Athlone!

Performed on Saturday the 26th, Sunday the 27th, and Tuesday the 29th of April at 8:15pm nightly. Booking line opens from the 18th of April from 2pm-8pm on 058 60456.
    See our website at www.ballyduffdrama.com and Facebook for further updates and details.

Saturday's performance will be in aid of the charity established to support the care of Deirdre and her family on Saturday 26th April. The night will also a include a wine and cheese interval and prizes on the door tickets which cost €15 and can be bought from any committee or cast member or booked on 058 60456 from Friday 18th April.
    See www.friendsofdeirdreoreilly.org for more details of the charity.

So will a farce ever win the All Ireland?

Has anybody seen any pre Athlone performances or will be seeing a show before it heads to Athlone? Let me know what you think?

Advertisement