Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2011, 01:04   #76
Armelodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_S_Hunterson View Post
There's a full series of lectures freely available from a course in MIT on GEB. Notes, videos, audio are all provided.

http://ocw.mit.edu/high-school/cours...ideo-lectures/

O/t but I'm very impressed by how much material is available online for free. Big universities making entire modules available for free is certainly a positive development for academia.
Cheers +1
Advertisement
08-11-2011, 18:32   #77
Zombrex
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_S_Hunterson View Post
There's a full series of lectures freely available from a course in MIT on GEB. Notes, videos, audio are all provided.

http://ocw.mit.edu/high-school/cours...ideo-lectures/

O/t but I'm very impressed by how much material is available online for free. Big universities making entire modules available for free is certainly a positive development for academia.
Second that, I recently came across the OCW stuff from MIT when trying to brush up on my Algebra and Calculus knowledge after I found myself stuck on a problem at work that I knew I should know from leaving cert maths.

It is amazing what they have up, from full lectures to full text books and revision notes to exam papers. Watching a lecture on introduction to calculus, having the course book right there and then having study notes, it was more than enough to get me back into learning and I've move far beyond the specific area I wanted to brush up on. I could literally spend months going through the lectures and text books.

Fair play MIT, next pay day you are getting a donation from me to help support his amazing resource.
09-11-2011, 19:15   #78
krd
Banned

http://www.amazon.com/Disappearing-S.../dp/0316051640

The disappearing spoon.

History of the development of the periodic table, with lots in between. Very well written. All killer, no filler.
Thanks from:
21-06-2012, 21:04   #79
hen93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBody View Post
Most first year college maths courses have a lot of calculus in first year and perhaps some sort of stats course. If you can get your hands on any introductory undergraduate calculus book you can start reading that. They are all more or less the same. PM me if you are near Maynooth and I can give you one (for free). What maths courses have you applied to?
Ok great, thanks a million for your help but I'm not situated near maynooth, I'm sure I can some pdfs online of undergrad books anyway but thanks again. I have mathematical science in nuig and ul down, aswell as theoretical physics and mathematics in Maynooth actually, but it is not a high preference.
21-06-2012, 21:08   #80
TheBody

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen93 View Post
Ok great, thanks a million for your help but I'm not situated near maynooth, I'm sure I can some pdfs online of undergrad books anyway but thanks again. I have mathematical science in nuig and ul down, aswell as theoretical physics and mathematics in Maynooth actually, but it is not a high preference.
Ah your missing out if you don't go to Maynooth!! Good luck where ever you end up!!
Advertisement
21-06-2012, 21:11   #81
hen93

Quote:
Ah your missing out if you don't go to Maynooth!! Good luck where ever you end up!!
Haha I was down for the open day and it has a great atmosphere alright but the commute home at the weekends is too much Cheers!
02-08-2012, 10:28   #82
blackdog2

Hi all,

It has been a long time since I have looked at anything remotely mathematical. Like my Leaving cert german, it has completely left me. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any maths textbooks that begin from 1st year secondary school type level?

Thanks all
02-08-2012, 15:46   #83
TheBody

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog2 View Post
Hi all,

It has been a long time since I have looked at anything remotely mathematical. Like my Leaving cert german, it has completely left me. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any maths textbooks that begin from 1st year secondary school type level?

Thanks all
You could simply begin by getting your hands on a second level maths book(s). The Text and Tests series are quite good. You should be able to get a second hand copy as there is a new maths syllabus in schools now that require new books.
02-08-2012, 17:49   #84
blackdog2

Quote:
You could simply begin by getting your hands on a second level maths book(s). The Text and Tests series are quite good. You should be able to get a second hand copy as there is a new maths syllabus in schools now that require new books.
Excellent, I actually used one of the first editions of that, but it was in Irish. I might try to track down an English copy as it would be easier to supplement with other material online etc!

Thanks for the reply
Advertisement
06-04-2013, 11:12   #85
matthew2008

hi all, i decided to opt for pass maths when i was in 5th year in school before i even tried the honours maths course (typical 'couldnt care less, sure when will i ever use this in real life' teenager) and nearly 4 years later, im really regretting it. anyway hoping ill be studying science come september and looking to at least begin to catch up to an honours leaving cert knowledge of maths (before project maths came in). anybody suggest any books (and not the general 'text and tests' or 'new concise maths' please) considering i only have the very very basics, thanks!!
06-04-2013, 22:10   #86
ray giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew2008 View Post
anybody suggest any books (and not the general 'text and tests' or 'new concise maths' please) considering i only have the very very basics, thanks!!
Maths tutor here.

This book covers the basics (most of honours junior cert course)

This book covers most of the Honours Leaving Cert course, except Calculus.

The GCSE books from England are better written than the Irish books, so more suitable for self-learning!

Last edited by ray giraffe; 06-04-2013 at 22:18.
08-04-2013, 01:00   #87
matthew2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray giraffe View Post
Maths tutor here.

This book covers the basics (most of honours junior cert course)

This book covers most of the Honours Leaving Cert course, except Calculus.

The GCSE books from England are better written than the Irish books, so more suitable for self-learning!
cheers ill look into that now, and any advice on a calculus book then as well? i imagine thatll be quite important from me
10-02-2014, 19:35   #88
Fudge You

Can anyone recommend me books on Calculus?

I have two in mind from this thread already. One is, How to Ace Calculus by adams, thompson, hass. Might go with it.

Thanks people!

Last edited by Fudge You; 10-02-2014 at 22:26. Reason: My grammar is awful.
04-03-2014, 11:38   #89
equivariant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge You View Post
Can anyone recommend me books on Calculus?

I have two in mind from this thread already. One is, How to Ace Calculus by adams, thompson, hass. Might go with it.

Thanks people!
"Calculus Early Transcendentals" by Stewart is a good undergrad calculus book. I use it to teach 1st years and I think that it is excellent. A bit pricey if you buy it but I am sure you can find ways around that

For a more advanced and rigourous treatment I like "Calculus" by Spivak.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion