Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

My Darling Sister, who I love in spite of some of her actions, once bought me a CD single for Xmas, she was a manager in Our Price at the time. Lovely, I really wanted this song in my collection and I was a single parent at the time so Music was a real luxury! I played it once prior to Christmas Dinner and when I was looking for it later in the evening, it was nowhere to be found. Following day I asked the said sister had she seen it and I just knew by her reaction. Turns out she had re-wrapped it and took it to a mates house as a gift Christmas night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    my father used to turn off the car and roll down hills to save petrol ..... God the embarrasment! :o

Heard somewhere that you use the same amount of petrol starting as ya do to drive 10 miles .. not sure on that figure :confused::confused: but reckon it backfired in the long run.

some right corkers on here.

Reminds me of college days in waterford. mate came down from dublin for the night,

we had a few drinks, came to his round ... you guessed it ... came down with no money.

we all gave a few quid and said get a bus ticket and fcuk off home....

he ambles off & comes back 1/2 hr later saying last bus had gone & since he has money now he'll get a round in & can stay out for the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Heard somewhere that you use the same amount of petrol starting as ya do to drive 10 miles .. not sure on that figure :confused::confused: but reckon it backfired in the long run.

That's just bollocks. It might take an M1 tank with it's turbine engine 10 miles worth of fuel to start, but a modern petrol or diesel engine won't take more than a few dozen millilitres to get going. The engine is turned over by the electric starter and the fuel injection will ensure that the first few revolutions are in a fuel rich environment, but you're still looking at maybe 200-500 metres worth of fuel. Newer engines with the stop/start ultra responsive starter motors will cut that down to near zero, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Donny5 wrote: »
    That's just bollocks. It might take an M1 tank with it's turbine engine 10 miles worth of fuel to start, but a modern petrol or diesel engine won't take more than a few dozen millilitres to get going. The engine is turned over by the electric starter and the fuel injection will ensure that the first few revolutions are in a fuel rich environment, but you're still looking at maybe 200-500 metres worth of fuel. Newer engines with the stop/start ultra responsive starter motors will cut that down to near zero, as well.

this was either many years ago ( early 90's ish) or when I had one too many Donny.

only a hazy memory of recall on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Meow Meow here's what you do. Bring the guy back to that restaurant, order the most expensive meal, tell him your going to the ladies, pick up the gun from the toilet you hid earlier, go back in and finish him off. You might have to leave the country for a bit that's the only thing.

Unfortunately that would leave her with the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    my father used to turn off the car and roll down hills to save petrol ..... God the embarrasment! :o

Couldn't do that now with servo assist brakes and power steering - turned off:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I was friends with a couple a girls a few years back. We used to go out together every Friday night and my other half ALWAYS drove us into town. Religiously.
    One Friday my OH had to do something(cant remember what) so my friend asked her father to drop us into town. He moaned and groaned a little but said yes.

When we were getting out of the car he asked us for 3 pounds each. I thought he was kidding until I saw the daughter of said man taking out her purse. I was sickened by this as she had been getting free lifts with my oh and he would never have dreamt(nor would I have ever been happy with) him asking for any money.
    Needless to say I made sure that every Friday thereafter we got a taxi and split it 3 ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

tvercetti wrote: »

Unfortunately that would leave her with the bill.

Not if Meow Meow can somehow manage to get hold of all her fellows remaining coupons in the melee that followed the hit and avoid being traced had she paid by credit card. Woof Woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

mishkalucy wrote: »
    I was friends with a couple a girls a few years back. We used to go out together every Friday night and my other half ALWAYS drove us into town. Religiously.
    One Friday my OH had to do something(cant remember what) so my friend asked her father to drop us into town. He moaned and groaned a little but said yes.

When we were getting out of the car he asked us for 3 pounds each. I thought he was kidding until I saw the daughter of said man taking out her purse. I was sickened by this as she had been getting free lifts with my oh and he would never have dreamt(nor would I have ever been happy with) him asking for any money.
    Needless to say I made sure that every Friday thereafter we got a taxi and split it 3 ways

Not that I don't believe you or anything but...
    The absolute stinginess of some people is just shocking to the bounds of disbelief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Not if Meow Meow can somehow manage to get hold of all her fellows remaining coupons in the melee that followed the hit and avoid being traced had she paid by credit card. Woof Woof.
    Only if I could manage to ply them from his cold dead hands :O

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    The absolute stinginess of some people is just shocking to the bounds of disbelief.

I swear to jebus that it is the absolute truth. I could never look at the man the same again and tbh his daughter. She didn't even bat an eyelid and took the money from us, handed it to her father and got out of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Eathrin wrote: »
    I swear to jebus that it is the absolute truth. I could never look at the man the same again and tbh his daughter. She didn't even bat an eyelid and took the money from us, handed it to her father and got out of the car

what's the big deal here as regards your friend, her father probably didn't really want to give yous a lift but did + charged yous while your bf seemed to have no problem leaving yous in town

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what's the big deal here as regards your friend, her father probably didn't really want to give yous a lift but did + charged yous while your bf seemed to have no problem leaving yous in town

I think you missed the point of my post. She was quite happy to take the lift every Friday while we spent our petrol money and my oh would never dream of asking either of my friends for money. She insisted that her dad(whom she was still living with and she was late 20's)would drop us in, no probs.
    There is an unwritten "quid pro quo" between friends and she did not adhere to this.
    If it was me in her shoes I would have been mortified. She was not.
    If it were me in her shoes I would have paid my dad out of my own pocket and NEVER have expected my friend to pay it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    Only if I could manage to ply them from his cold dead hands :O

You're not chinese by any chance? not that i have a problem with them, i think they're a great bunch of lads :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Turns out she had re-wrapped it and took it to a mates house as a gift Christmas night!!
    I hate Indian givers

[edit]
    actually on second thoughts I'll take that back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

axel rose wrote: »
    I think you've been pretty mean to accept that level of effort from your cousins ex. All you had to do is ring a taxi. I don't believe for second that you were planning to pay for petrol. Seeing that all of your car owning mates refused to help makes me suspicious.

Sorry but this is one occasion that I call YOU the stinge!!

Have to agree with this, 'People being stingy with their cars annoy me' sounds like he asks his mates with cars alot, he was moving 5 minutes down the road and there was one car load...... I presume he dosnt have legs and arms that he had get someone to leave work to come and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Have to agree with this, 'People being stingy with their cars annoy me' sounds like he asks his mates with cars alot, he was moving 5 minutes down the road and there was one car load...... I presume he dosnt have legs and arms that he had get someone to leave work to come and help.

Read the rest of my replies before taking a swipe at me please.

I never ask for lifts or favours off of friends unless i'm really stuck, i cycle everywhere no matter what the weather.

I have arms and legs but carrying duvet, laptop, playstation and all manner of other things is a pain in the arse and dangerous because it was through town at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Blikes wrote: »
    Read the rest of my replies before taking a swipe at me please.

I never ask for lifts or favours off of friends unless i'm really stuck, i cycle everywhere no matter what the weather.

I have arms and legs but carrying duvet, laptop, playstation and all manner of other things is a pain in the arse and dangerous because it was through town at night.

Don't take my comment as a swipe, you posted on a public forum, your comment is up for discussion the same as everyone elses nothing is meant personally.

My opinion is you wanted to move your duvet, your laptop, your playstation and your personal belongings from your old place to your new place (none of that stuff is heavy). To me thats your responsibility, not your mates. If they can't or won't help you is up to them. I just thought your op was more suited to a 'Things nice people do for me even though its completely out for their way' thread.

Sorry but it was a pain in the arse for you so you rang someone else and it was a pain in the arse for them. Granted (not to bring up an old AH hour topic but I presume by town you mean Dublin) it is dangerous but its a case of getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

batistuta9 wrote: »

I think the point here is if the friend had any shame, she would of paid the money herself in private and if the her father had at least one kind bone in his body her wouldn't have asked for money.
    If you can't do a quick favour for your family without asking for money then something is wrong.
    I'm sure it was just a quick trip into town, hardly a big deal.
    But my opinion is only based on what we heard, maybe there are other circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Don't take my comment as a swipe, you posted on a public forum, your comment is up for discussion the same as everyone elses nothing is meant personally.

My opinion is you wanted to move your duvet, your laptop, your playstation and your personal belongings from your old place to your new place (none of that stuff is heavy). To me thats your responsibility, not your mates. If they can't or won't help you is up to them. I just thought your op was more suited to a 'Things nice people do for me even though its completely out for their way' thread.

Sorry but it was a pain in the arse for you so you rang someone else and it was a pain in the arse for them. Granted (not to bring up an old AH hour topic but I presume by town you mean Dublin) it is dangerous but its a case of getting on with it.

Would you stop. If a buddy needs a hand you give it to them, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Merch wrote: »
    You're not chinese by any chance? not that i have a problem with them, i think they're a great bunch of lads :D
    Meow_Meow wrote: »
    [...] We arrived at a rundown Asian restaurant, despite the fact that I'd already told him that Asian food tends to make me sick, [...]

If I'm Chinese, I'm a bad one! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

I don't mean Dublin, i mean a town where i've already been stabbed and bottled walking home at night.

Blikes wrote: »
    I don't mean Dublin, i mean a town where i've already been stabbed and bottled walking home at night.

Sure sounds like Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Sure sounds like Dublin

Not a very fair comment - could get bottled and stabbed anywhere, not just Dublin.

AH wanted his friends to help move his stuff - they didn't, that's not being "stingy" his Friends just aren't helpful.

The thread is - Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

My friend's dad used to do this as well but then again he was a taxi driver so I guess it's not the same.

My friend's dad used to do this as well but then again he was a taxi driver so I guess it's not the same.

If he was off duty and he charged youse then it's againist the law...

Look for your money back or report him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Does someone who takes out their false teeth BEFORE they eat count as stingy? (As in, afraid to incur wear and tear...)

I know someone who does this, even when eating something soft, like a jelly sweet.

Bleargh.:mad:

My dad is a taxi driver and, when I am home if he sees my friends and I out, he insists on driving us all home.
    The rows we all have with him because he REFUSES to take money from us.

I usually just give it to my mother, when I am heading back, so that he can not give it back to me.

My father is the opposite of stingy and I see people take advantage of that too often. Especially as, when he drops us home, he could be making money from the public.

I have one aunt that thinks that he will not mind being the designated driver to all family occasions, just because he drives for a living.

Just to clarify people -

stin-gy definition :

<LI style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: decimal">Unwilling to give or spend; ungenerous: "his employer is stingy and idle".

• Advertisement

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Just to clarify people -

stin-gy definition :

<LI style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: decimal">Unwilling to give or spend; ungenerous: "his employer is stingy and idle".

Would that be financial or a braoder term relating to effort, time, experience, money and/or facilities?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement