Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you drink alcohol before and/or during a gig ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

my uncle used to have a couple before a gig and more after but he quit doing that as it did effect his concentration plus spending the nights few quid in the pub .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

See in my opinion/experience, to be improvising well, you really can't think very hard about it-there's just no time for that. You have to already be at a certain level. So a few drinks (within reason-I think this is the point that everyone agrees on) really shouldn't kill your ability.
    If anything, the fact that alcohol makes you care less about mistakes can enhance your performance. First of all it's all about confidence-if you see a player who ****s up and knows it, but doesn't let it get to him, and keeps playing on (well, obviously. If he's shiit the whole time this doesn't apply :p) then you aren't really going to care about the mistake either. The second point here is that if a player doesn't care so much about making mistakes, there's not going to be this fear of playing something that mightn't sound great, so he'll experiment more, which usually, with a confident player, means a better song.

Yeah I went on a bit of a mad one on my last post alright... Sorry :pac:
    First of all it's all about confidence-if you see a player who ****s up and knows it, but doesn't let it get to him, and keeps playing on (well, obviously. If he's shiit the whole time this doesn't apply :p) then you aren't really going to care about the mistake either.

This is the bit I'm interested in here... It's about confidence, sure, but it's about respect too. If I went out to a gig to see a band play to an audience, I kinda like to think they respect their audience and appreciate they're in a gigging situation, 'cause so many bands aren't... I dunno, for me, drinking before and during the gig doesn't fit into that picture of respect. Do what you like after, sure, but don't take any beer-related risks beforehand/during that can potentially lead to you not giving your audience their money's worth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

remember the line from the song" before the chieftans could start to play, 4 creamy pints came out on a tray.."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

rcaz wrote: »
    And then a good improvisor, in my opinion/experience, is someone who can know so much about all the different possibilities of the music they're playing at the time, that they don't fit into any category or style other than the session they're in the middle of. And that isn't 'taking chances' or anything, that's being a on the ball and constantly thinking and figuring out directions... You know, in my opinion and all.

I'm not picking a fight. Even if someone was stone cold sober and improvising and knowing a load of different styles could pick playing something in a certain style that just doesn't work with what's going on or it does. They take a chance and if it works, great; if not, then try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

rcaz wrote: »
    Yeah I went on a bit of a mad one on my last post alright... Sorry :pac:

This is the bit I'm interested in here... It's about confidence, sure, but it's about respect too. If I went out to a gig to see a band play to an audience, I kinda like to think they respect their audience and appreciate they're in a gigging situation, 'cause so many bands aren't... I dunno, for me, drinking before and during the gig doesn't fit into that picture of respect. Do what you like after, sure, but don't take any beer-related risks beforehand/during that can potentially lead to you not giving your audience their money's worth.
    Don't be sorry! You were just expressing an opinion I didn't entirely agree with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Interesting discussion lads. Lots of different views and opinions too. There is no doubt that even one or two drinks impairs your concentration. So IMO whether a person consumes alcohol at a gig would depend on a few things.

1. The type of music being played.

2. The general attitude of the musician towards the music, the audience, his instrument, and his contribution to the band's performance.

3. How well an individual is able to "hold his/her liquor".

Personally, I much prefer a few drinks after a gig. These, combined with the knowledge that you have done your best, and the good feeling you get when you know the band have performed well, far outweigh the buzz I'd get from drinking during or before the gig itself.

YMMV etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I always drink when I'm rehearsing so I'd feel a bit 'out of sorts' playing live without a drink in me. I stick to 2/3 pints before I go on to get the blood going, helps the stage presence and I bang it down my neck when I'm on stage just in case the bar is shut when I get off.

• I'll admit to being so out of my gourd at one gig that I didn't even realise I was on stage 'til about halfway through the set. I was completely immersed in the music, it was only when the drummer pointed out the crowdsurfing did I realise I was actually playing!
    Strangely enough, best gig I ever played. I usually wouldn't be in this way, would limit myself to a pint before and during, but this was day three of a festival. The crowd were very much on the same buzz when they started crowdsurfing and had a stage invasion.
    It is, horses for courses. But (and I think this is important) if your band tell you your cr@p after a few pints, you should listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Tazz T wrote: »
    helps the stage presence

You have the better of me there. :confused:

• Rigsby wrote: »
    You have the better of me there. :confused:
    I presume he means the dutch courage that comes from the gargle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Lawson Itchy Wheat

might have a pint before and a pint during if im not driving. We dont take a break during our 2 hour set, so we cant drink too much even if were not driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I personally don't drink at all before playing, because I prefer not to risk any lapse in concentration. That said, in most cases, I don't think one or two pints will affect concentration to such an extent that you can't play well. But I never feel the need to drink to help me play; thankfully, nerves aren't much of an issue for me. I prefer to wait until after and really enjoy the pint without worrying that it might affect me.
    I'd agree with rcaz's point about respect. If you can have a drink before or during the gig and it doesn't have a noticeable effect on your ability to deliver a performance, fine. But if it begins to influence your playing negatively, even slightly, there's a problem, because people have, in many cases, paid to see you play (or at least have paid to be there).

Interesting article in the current New Scientist about alcohol. Unfortunately there's only a preview available for free, but the basic point is there: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21328565.200-alcohol-boosts-ability-to-solve-problems-creatively.html

Having said all this, if you're getting paid to do the gig, as in a session situation, then I don't think it's ever acceptable to drink before/during.

Advertisement