Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

The night in Swords was good. The crowd was OK, about 60 people with probably a 65/35 W/M split. The music was too loud & most people decamped to the beer garden by 11/11.30.

I am chatting with 3 guys at the moment. Each of them reacted differently to a problem I was dealing with yesterday & I have to say it created an order to the short list that I hadn't foreseen. It was very interesting and I spent the evening chatting with the front runner :)

GrumPy... As hard as it may be you have to leave it. I hope she comes back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

GrumPy wrote: »
    Hopefully if she does reply, it'll be to arrange date 2. Even if it's a "I'm not interested" text, I'd be happy enough she at least let me know the story.
    Maybe she's just busy, or my reply never delivered?!

*grasps onto every possible scenario* :P

Any advice fellow boardsies?

I'd give it a couple days and as someone else said, text her Wed if you haven't heard anything. Some women purposely hold out to see if the guy will chase her (why is beyond me), so might be worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Can you send me the link to the girl who likes getting smashed?? :P yes I follow.. My okc was a total autobiog, (cast of thousands etc), just saw the same faces over and over. Lovely faces, just... The same. i'd like pof better if they introduced a feature that stopped you messaging people until you messaged the person you clicked 'meet me' on :pac: Hmmm on the plus side you're mathmatical *runs for dear life*

Tis a sine that okc is fecked, I tell ya.
    I tend not to be looking at the wimminz pages, you want some of the guys ones though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

So we met up over the weekend and it was very nice. Loads of very friendly and relaxed chat. The thing is, I'm not sure there is anything else there which is a shame. Has anyone else had that kind of experience? As in really looking forward to meeting up with someone based on good conversations leading up to the day and then finding there just isn't that spark or attraction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Had date 4 yesterday. So much fun... There will be a fifth date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well Im still in lurve in case anyone missed me! :D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dovies wrote: »
    Well Im still in lurve in case anyone missed me! :D:D:p

And you are????

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Tis a sine that okc is fecked, I tell ya.
    I tend not to be looking at the wimminz pages, you want some of the guys ones though? :pac:

NO!!! You might send me a link to mine with "get a load of THIS spoon!!" :pac:...

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

So we met up over the weekend and it was very nice. Loads of very friendly and relaxed chat. The thing is, I'm not sure there is anything else there which is a shame. Has anyone else had that kind of experience? As in really looking forward to meeting up with someone based on good conversations leading up to the day and then finding there just isn't that spark or attraction?

Yep, happened me twice! It's such a shame, but that's why I think it's good to meet up relatively soon after getting chatting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Got a creeptastic message from a guy and he keeps calling me angel.....i hate being called stuff like that.... "You speak from the heart, it is truely love at first sight with your picture...will you be my angel??!!"

No i wont be your angel, i swear he must have said it about 5 times in the message! It really remind me of this :pac:
    "Whats yo name delicate"

On the plus side i got me a date for tomorrow night! There is quite the age gap but we shall see how it goes! And he doesnt mind the fact that i am moving back home soon because if it goes well we can sort it all out :)

Got a creeptastic message from a guy and he keeps calling me angel.....i hate being called stuff like that.... "You speak from the heart, it is truely love at first sight with your picture...will you be my angel??!!"

No i wont be your angel, i swear he must have said it about 5 times in the message! It really remind me of this :pac:
    "Whats yo name delicate"

"Oooh girl you kinda sexy when you take my advice you know!"

coco_lola wrote: »
    "Oooh girl you kinda sexy when you take my advice you know!"

"Dont be insecure girl, own that ponytail, work.that.up.do!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

G-Money wrote: »
    I just pick stuff from their profile and go with that. Unfortunately some girls put so little information on their profile it's a bit like trying to play pin the tail on the donkey. You simply have no clue. I'm guessing these are the one's complaining that they get the wrong types of messages too :rolleyes:

That's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Scammers from non-English speaking countries tend to write that way. Next thing you'll know he'll be stuck in Nigeria and need you to wire him some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

NO!!! You might send me a link to mine with "get a load of THIS spoon!!" :pac:...

Ah no, I wouldn't fork with you like that man. :pac:

"Whats yo name delicate"

Oh God I just nearly died laughing at that vid. :D

I went out with one who used to call me "princess and the only one" (still pretty sure he doesn't know my name!). My mates, being the lovely people that they are grabbed my phone and texted him yesterday, I can only imagine what he'll text back.
    And he WILL text back, trust me. He's not the type to let any kind of weirdness bother him if he thinks he'll get a roide. Besides, he's all kinds of crazy himself. :pac:

I also had another guy call me "smxci" (dead serious too!) yesterday.... *bullet through brains*

And good luck on the date! :)

Ah no, I wouldn't fork with you like that man. :pac:

Oh God I just nearly died laughing at that vid. :D

I went out with one who used to call me "princess and the only one" (still pretty sure he doesn't know my name!). My mates, being the lovely people that they are grabbed my phone and texted him yesterday, I can only imagine what he'll text back.
    And he WILL text back, trust me. He's not the type to let any kind of weirdness bother him if he thinks he'll get a roide. Besides, he's all kinds of crazy himself. :pac:

I also had another guy call me "smxci" (dead serious too!) yesterday.... *bullet through brains*

And good luck on the date! :)

Let's keep this plate-onic ok? :pac:... I've encountered so much weird on the net, usually back in the days of oceanfree and the like when I was but a lad. Seems to be a substantial amount of POFfers whose "mates" signed them up lol

sharper wrote: »
    Scammers from non-English speaking countries tend to write that way. Next thing you'll know he'll be stuck in Nigeria and need you to wire him some money.

But he's a prince, and he promised me I would receive all his wealth and fortune!

coco_lola wrote: »
    But he's a prince, and he promised me I would receive all his wealth and fortune!

Ahh that'll be after the divorce :p

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Hmmm so that guy I had been out with a few times, who caused me to delete my profile...

We were to go out yesterday (his suggestion after busy schedules kept us from meeting during the week)... I text him to make arrangements...no reply... this comes after him mentioning how much he was enjoying spending time with me, and his regular flirty texts...

I clearly cannot read men at all since I totally misjudged this one :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

D_murph wrote: »
    I have sent over 20 messages to girls on POF and not a single reply. My profile isnt that bad (IMO anyway) so I am beginning to think that its a bit of a joke TBH :(

It might be down to the content of your messages. Are you cut'n'pasting "Hi, how are you?" (or something similar) into all of them? I never reply to those and I know I'm not the only one.

But if I get a message that includes my username, and that mentions something from my profile, then I always reply (even if it's only to say I don't think we look like a good fit). It pays off to make it look like you're interested in the person, and not just sending out anonymous bulk mailshots.

I also think it's a good idea to ask a question, like "Have you seen X(film)?" or something, as that way you get a conversational ball rolling. I always try to build in some "bounce-back" to my messages but sometimes I get a message that's incredibly difficult to reply to simply because there's nothing to "pick up" in it.

ellegee wrote: »
    It might be down to the content of your messages. Are you cut'n'pasting "Hi, how are you?" (or something similar) into all of them? I never reply to those and I know I'm not the only one.

But if I get a message that includes my username, and that mentions something from my profile, then I always reply (even if it's only to say I don't think we look like a good fit). It pays off to make it look like you're interested in the person, and not just sending out anonymous bulk mailshots.

I also think it's a good idea to ask a question, like "Have you seen X(film)?" or something, as that way you get a conversational ball rolling. I always try to build in some "bounce-back" to my messages but sometimes I get a message that's incredibly difficult to reply to simply because there's nothing to "pick up" in it.

I feel a bit funny addressing someone by a username unless it contains their actual name, reckon I'll take a leaf out of your book from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

ellegee wrote: »

I did ask how they were. i.e. how their weekend was going. Most of the messages were over the weekend.

I also asked what part of Cork they were from and asked them if they were interested in a chat and to message me back if they were interested. All very polite and all so I dunno why I heard from absolutely none of them yet :confused:.

This is my first time doing this so I wasnt sure exactly what to say.

I did ask how they were. i.e. how their weekend was going. Most of the messages were over the weekend.

I also asked what part of Cork they were from and asked them if they were interested in a chat and to message me back if they were interested. All very polite and all so I dunno why I heard from absolutely none of them yet :confused:.

This is my first time doing this so I wasnt sure exactly what to say.

If you don't mind my butting in, it may be because they get a lot of messages similar to that. Along the lines of ellegee's advice, make it more relevant to their interests.. Stand out from the crowd etc. "How was your weekend" and such comes across as a form message. I think we all started out the same way :)

sharper wrote: »

or else he works for the lotto down there and i have magically won it! :pac:

or else he works for the lotto down there and i have magically won it! :pac:

I have something along those lines on my profile about not messaging me to say I won it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

If you don't mind my butting in, it may be because they get a lot of messages similar to that. Along the lines of ellegee's advice, make it more relevant to their interests.. Stand out from the crowd etc. "How was your weekend" and such comes across as a form message. I think we all started out the same way :)

Cheers. I guess Ill have to get a lot more creative so. Not easy at times when there isnt much to work with on their profile though.

I also asked what part of Cork they were from and asked them if they were interested in a chat and to message me back if they were interested. All very polite and all so I dunno why I heard from absolutely none of them yet :confused:

I'm afraid this is the kind of thing that can come across as "anonymous bulk mailshot", simply because they're questions you could ask anybody. Also, the only possible replies are pretty much "Grand thanks, enjoying the sun" and "(Some area in Cork)". Neither is much of a conversation starter.

On the other hand

"How is your weekend going? It's great weather for hillwalking (which I see from your profile you're into). Are you in fact reading this message on the top of a mountain?"

or

"How is your weekend going? It's great weather for relaxing in the garden with a good book (which I see from your profile you're into). I started reading (a book you mention) years ago but never finished it, maybe this is the weekend I should pick it up again. Did you see the film they made of it? I thought it was really good"

are both personalised variations and conversation starters that may get you better results with just a little bit of effort.

Cheers. I guess Ill have to get a lot more creative so. Not easy at times when there isnt much to work with on their profile though.

I agree! Which begs the question, is it worth messaging someone who isn't making the effort :)

• Advertisement

I agree! Which begs the question, is it worth messaging someone who isn't making the effort :)

Excellent question - I think not :( If they were really interested they'd make the effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement