Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stags and Hens, this thread is for you

• 11-02-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to Galway city for your Hen/Stag night!

Since we get so many similar requests on where to sleep, eat, drink, dance and daytime activities I've created this thread.
    Most pubs and restaurants are on (or in close proximity to) Shop Street so this is the place to head for on a night out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mcflowers

Hi

Heading to stag in Galway city next month. We like the idea of a "mystery bus pub crawl tour" on one of the days. Would anyone have any good info of contacts and where to go for that ?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Could anyone recommend somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay in Galway for a lads stag (12 or 15 lads) ?

We're not a fussy bunch - a bed and a bath and not much more is all it takes to keep us happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Depending on your budget, a middle of the road hotel (2 or three to a room) might be a good bet; you get the residents bar, and chance of a breakfast in the morning for soakage.

Aside from that, there's lots of excellent hostels located smack bang in the centre of the city. A word of warning though is that they might look for fairly hefty security deposits (given the nature and rowdiness of some stags), but if you're not taking the pí­ss (leave the fire extinguishers alone), there should be no issue getting it back. ;)

I'm heading to Galway tomorrow with a stag group - about 10 lads.

I'm looking to get somewhere for dinner tomorrow night that would be relatively relaxed, could handle a group of 10 lads (with booze on board, but well behaved) and is likely to have availability tomorrow night.

I'm thinking Italian or burger & chips type food. Or even chinese if there's a decent option.

I realise I've left this a little late - but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Meeeee79

Papa Rich in woodquay, asian food, €10 for a main, €5 for a starter, pretty relaxed

Kirbys, attached to Busker Brownes pub, they can give you tables downstairs which is just off the bar so good atmosphere for a gang

McSwiggans, great food, a little more upmarket than a burger a chips but huge restaurant, often very busy though so availability for a fri night may be an issue

Trattoria, Italian, on quay st o great area of the city for bars and good atmosphere, fairly basic italian food but does the job in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

thejaguar wrote: »
    I'm heading to Galway tomorrow with a stag group - about 10 lads.

I'm looking to get somewhere for dinner tomorrow night that would be relatively relaxed, could handle a group of 10 lads (with booze on board, but well behaved) and is likely to have availability tomorrow night.

I'm thinking Italian or burger & chips type food. Or even chinese if there's a decent option.

I realise I've left this a little late - but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tribeton your best option.

This Hen/Stag thread will also have suggestions on activities, pubs and hotels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LLAP85

Has anyone ever done the Connemara Pub Tour?
    Would you recommend for a hen?

LLAP85 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever done the Connemara Pub Tour?
    Would you recommend for a hen?

I did it 2 weeks ago on a stag. There was a hen party doing it as well - they were about half an hour ahead of us.

I would highly recommend it - some of the scenery is fabulous as you drive around. We had good craic with the hen group as we passed them by at each pub. It gets back to Galway early enough as well so you have the rest of the night to do your own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Caz71

Hi we are a group of 12 heading to Galway for a hen and looking for recommendations for a good pub and club

<moderator merged your post with the big thread for stags/hens>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Caz71 wrote: »
    Hi we are a group of 12 heading to Galway for a hen and looking for recommendations for a good pub and club

If you read back through the previous few pages of this very thread this has been answered a few times.

Tldr go to the quays

• Registered Users Posts: 1 janeyflo5

Hi All 
    I am planning my sisters hen party in Galway City and there will be approx 30 of us for a Saturday night on the bank holiday weekend in October. As it is such a large group does anyone have any recommendations for pub drinks followed by a nightclub in the city that we can book? 
    Live music would be great if thats possible! 
    Many thanks
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Merged with that thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eb89

Hey looking at organising my best friends hens in Galway. Best pub suggestions? Best club/pub maybe rock/alternative.. bride not into the normal dance music clubs, if possible. Thanks in advance x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

For that type of music i would say sally longs and carrolls during the day and the roisin dubh for the night.

Merged

Possibly www.roisindubh.net will be what you are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not a stag, rather a midweek break away but.....

Anyone recommend a decent spot to watch the WC semi final on Wednesday night.

We are staying in the Ardilaun and I am not too familiar with Salthill has a whole when it comes to the pub scene. Better off heading into town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Not a stag, rather a midweek break away but.....

Anyone recommend a decent spot to watch the WC semi final on Wednesday night.

We are staying in the Ardilaun and I am not too familiar with Salthill has a whole when it comes to the pub scene. Better off heading into town?

Might be a bit far from the Ardilaun but the Oslo in Salthill is fantastic for watching a match, decent food and beer aswell. It's just across the road from Seapoint

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Salt have a big screen too (or did til recently anyways). Comfy spot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

TheSegal wrote: »
    Might be a bit far from the Ardilaun but the Oslo in Salthill is fantastic for watching a match, decent food and beer aswell. It's just across the road from Seapoint
    Oslo isnt that far but yeah totally agree that it can be great spot for watching a game especially if there's a decent group together to watch a game
    Salt have a big screen too (or did til recently anyways). Comfy spot
    Still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If it's just those two then don't go to Salt. If you're going to town then I'd imagine McGinns, Monroe's, Dail, Dew Drop and Seven would all be decent spots for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Hi all - looking for some help please. Im organising a stag for Galway in July of this year.

Have accommodation sorted and going to Pure Skills during the day, but Im wondering if theres any decent place that would do a main meal and a pint for a competitive price for around 20 lads?

I dont know Galway that well, so any help is appreciated, as well as where might be good later in the night! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Slipshaney wrote: »
    Hi all - looking for some help please. Im organising a stag for Galway in July of this year.

Have accommodation sorted and going to Pure Skills during the day, but Im wondering if theres any decent place that would do a main meal and a pint for a competitive price for around 20 lads?

I dont know Galway that well, so any help is appreciated, as well as where might be good later in the night! Thanks!

Massimo bar, Kirbys, Mc gettigans, seven, The dough bros (pizza), the kings head, The Dail bar, The cellar bar, Mc Swiggans, John Keoghs

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Massimo bar, Kirbys, Mc gettigans, seven, The dough bros (pizza), the kings head, The Dail bar, The cellar bar, Mc Swiggans, John Keoghs

The Dail bar don't take bookings as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Go into Monroe's and get pizza from the place next door as you're swamping the pints !!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Thanks to al! Appreciate the help, and will look into all options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

Would 2nd McSwiggans. There were about 17 of us there for a stag and they were very accommodating. The staff were sound, and the Guinness was great and only €3.50 for a pint (mind you that was about 2 years ago).

Advertisement