Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire on Meteor

• 25-11-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi,
    In the past I have posted about getting the Desire with 3. Was planning to go in this Sat to get with when I was tipped off that Meteor had it back and I could have it for 150e online on a 12 month contract for 30e a month.
    Questions:
    1) Have meteor pushed out Android 2.2 on the Desire? How are they in general for updates?
    2) Do Meteor put a load of crap on their phones?
    3) Any reason I should avoid Meteor?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I got this only last week so I can so...

I got it for 150e at 35e a month in store. Thats for 12 months. I've been told since that if you apply online it costs 30e a month for the same deal. Oops.

1) Yeah its 2.2. HTC were quick to get on top this. I don't think it has anything to do with meteor at all. You can have the phone check for updates automatically.

2)Nothing meteor related on it whatsoever. I've been told there is some sub-par HTC apps preinstalled but it all seems fine to me

3)All the networks seem to have the same deals. Free network-to-network calls or free texts to any networks. Vodafone, meteor and 02 offer either one of these. I don't know in detail tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

1) Meteor were the first to get it as they sell unbranded HTCs. O2 were slower as they brand theirs and had to wait for HTC to do their version. So basically, Meteor will get the updates the day HTC release it. O2 won't, unless they sell unbranded phones.

2) Meteor don't really do branding. Only exceptions were the Tocco Lite with the Apprentice wallpaper, that was unremovable without a soft upgrade. Everything else was a removable theme/ringtone.

3) Depends on your area. Coverage between all 4 networks is quite good. There are patches here and there for everyone but in general, me being on Meteor and my wife on O2, I find coverage very comparable. I get good coverage where she has poor coverage, and vice versa. Meteor do give more minutes though.

3 Classic Flex 40 - 350 flex units (1 unit = 1 minute or 2 texts) plus 2gb data.
    Vodafone 35 - 0 mins, 0 texts, 500mb internet (free Vodafone calls and texts included) [for an extra 10e, you will get 150mins and texts)
    O2 Clear 35 - 175mins, 100 texts (no free extras, no internet)
    Meteor Smart 35 w/internet discount - 200mins, 200 texts, 1gb internet allowance (free Meteor calls/texts 12 months)

*note: the Meteor 30e online is actually a 35e plan with a 5e internet discount for 12 months. Free Meteor calls and texts are for 12 months also.

If you have coverage, Meteor is clearly the best option in your price range. The 3 one isn't bad, but I don't like the whole flexi unit thing. Just a bit complicated and though not from experience, not as easy to manager. You potentially get more minutes and texts than Meteor with a split of 200 mins and 300 texts possible. You also get more internet, but realistically, 1gb is loads of internet for a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Just spotted this yesterday also - a white Desire only available in Meteor http://www.facebook.com/meteor have a look at the Facebook page

I have the Desire from meteor really happy - no branding, good coverage 30 a month. You cant get much better (only thing that we could get better is Gingerbread but that should be here soon and we will be one of the first to get it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Hi there,

I'm gonna get the Desire for my birthday this Friday, and I was considering switching from Meteor to 3.. They seem cheaper becayse they offer the internet add-on (€5 per month on PAYG), and most of my credit goes on data..

So basically, have you experienced any problems at all with 3? I've heard their customer service is bloody awfull, but I honestly can't remember the last time I even rang a customer service line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Danger781 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm gonna get the Desire for my birthday this Friday, and I was considering switching from Meteor to 3.. They seem cheaper becayse they offer the internet add-on (€5 per month on PAYG), and most of my credit goes on data..

So basically, have you experienced any problems at all with 3? I've heard their customer service is bloody awfull, but I honestly can't remember the last time I even rang a customer service line!

Don't.. or I hope you didn't... data network is terrible (here) and customer service (call centre) is very difficult to deal with, they do try to be helpful but with the language barrier you'll find yourselves repeating a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm with 3, the clincher for me was meteors poor coverage in my area and the fact that I get 4gbs of data on three by putting my freebie into data rather than call time etc.

I've never had issues with three customer service and I've been on contract on two other occasions. Depends on time of day you can get through to the Irish tech centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Im also on three and have never had any trouble with customer service and the 3G signal is great.

On a side note has anyone bought from this website: http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=10207&setcurrency=eur

They have the desire for 375 sim free...... Any info would be great as want to buy one

Thanks for the feedback lads :)
    JustinOval wrote: »
    Don't.. or I hope you didn't... data network is terrible (here) and customer service (call centre) is very difficult to deal with, they do try to be helpful but with the language barrier you'll find yourselves repeating a lot.

What do you mean by the data network is terrible? Could you elaborate? Whereabouts you located?

shortys94 wrote: »
    Im also on three and have never had any trouble with customer service and the 3G signal is great.

On a side note has anyone bought from this website: http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=10207&setcurrency=eur

They have the desire for 375 sim free...... Any info would be great as want to buy one

Lots of mixed reviews..
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/camcorders-video-editing/739921-simply-electronics.html
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=39649

What do you mean by the data network is terrible? Could you elaborate? Whereabouts you located?

East Cork. I had 5kb yesterday, peaked at 43kb. I use to get 2000+ with Meteor.

I'll keep testing and post results later today.

Just jumped from an almost dead 23kb to a great 3140 leaving the ring road at Mahon.

• Advertisement

You sure it's not just your phone? How come it varies so much?

Moving from cell to cell, some areas are covered, others aren't. This is the same phone I had on Meteor, which was more consistent.

Well I'm basically just gonna be in between Ballincollig & UCC mainly.. :)

Well I'm basically just gonna be in between Ballincollig & UCC mainly.. :)

If you want to test a 3 SIM first, I think I have one here that I ordered but never used.

JustinOval wrote: »
    If you want to test a 3 SIM first, I think I have one here that I ordered but never used.

Well I was on 3 before, but left about a year or 2 year ago.. IIRC the signal was fine :)

Advertisement