Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Its still valid for use.

However, you should apply for a full passport asap and take note that you will need to send extra docs with the temporary passport as it is not a sufficient on its own.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=84782

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why would you need a new one? It's valid in December so it's valid, end of.

Surprised your emergency passport only lasts a few months, was that the expiry date of your original passport?

April. Realised 2 days before I was due to board for Spain in July :pac: Got a 7 month emergency PP. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nocheerleader

Hi All - travelling to a European City next month, only realised today when I took out my 9 year old passport that it has fairly significant "wear and tear".

It's an old style passport and the lamination on the photo page is peeling back about 3 cms in each bottom corner and all along the bottom.

Has anyone experienced difficulties travelling with a passport like this?

Would they take into account it's almost reached it's ten years and I have used it extensively (all stamps inside as evidence) to travel around the world?

I know that is better to get a new one, however I would like to get it's final 6 months worth :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If its a western EU country you'll have absolutely no problem. The further east you go, the more they look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Just a question.

I'm studying in G.B. at the moment and my passport has expired. What is the quickest way for me to acquire a renewl passport? My parents say they want to get me for for Christmas so would it be possible for them to do it in a Post Office in Ireland?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No. You must do it yourself via the embassy in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

No. You must do it yourself via the embassy in London.

Ah ok, thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hi bit of a delema, got my bag stolen in Birmingham, Wallet Passport everything in it gone :(
    now im stuck in Bham, missed my flight as was at half 6 this morning.

anyone got any ideas of how to get back to ireland:mad:

Contact the embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

0207 3734339

(if you calling from an irish mobile +44 207 373 4339 )

Thats the telephone number for the Passport Office in London

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hi bit of a delema, got my bag stolen in Birmingham, Wallet Passport everything in it gone :(
    now im stuck in Bham, missed my flight as was at half 6 this morning.

anyone got any ideas of how to get back to ireland:mad:

Speak nicely to an airline other than Ryanair, or get the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Just for information:

At the moment Passport Express has a very quick turn-around due to low volumes, so if you need a passport this is the time to do it.
    I've heard of someone posting it on Monday and receiving the Passport on Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

if my passport has run out and i am applying for a new 1 do i need to send my birth cert off with the application ?

No. So long as you send the old one back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

gustafo wrote: »
    if my passport has run out and i am applying for a new 1 do i need to send my birth cert off with the application ?

Only if you are under 18, otherwise your old passport will do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

No. So long as you send the old one back.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 westernventure

is it ok to send 2 passport applications together with passport express ?

Thank you.

If they are the same family.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

gustafo wrote: »
    Nope, you just send back the old passport with your new photos and fully completed form.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

is it ok to send 2 passport applications together with passport express ?

Thank you.

You can put up to 4 applications in the Passport Express envelope and they do not have to be related.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

I've a middle name but I don't particuarly want it on my passport, in the forname section (2) do you have to enter the middle name if you have one or can you omit it (is the 2nd forename optional)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

muineachan wrote: »
    I've a middle name but I don't particuarly want it on my passport, in the forname section (2) do you have to enter the middle name if you have one or can you omit it (is the 2nd forename optional)?

No, a middle name is not required.

muineachan wrote: »

If it is your 1st passport just submit your birth cert with it and on the form fill out how you want your name to appear without your middle name. i.e. John Murphy. Even if your BC has John Joe(as middle name) Murphy.

If on an old passport you have your middle name on it you will also have to submit the birth cert but just don't put your middle name on the application form

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Heading on holidays in February with herself, he passport expires before then.

I've been at her to sort if for over a month now and she's been putting it off.

Has to get her wisdom teeth out tomorrow so chances are she won't have this sorted by Christmas.

Just wondering is that cutting it fine to be sorting it in the New Year?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I have to renew my 6yr old son's passport, we've received a present of flights to the UK for the 4th January. If I go down to the passport office (prob cork) will they renew it for me, I've been told that I probably won't get the passport express back in time.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I have to renew my 6yr old son's passport, we've received a present of flights to the UK for the 4th January. If I go down to the passport office (prob cork) will they renew it for me, I've been told that I probably won't get the passport express back in time.

Passport express is 10 working days. You will be fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

AGC wrote: »
    Passport express is 10 working days. You will be fine.

thanks for that, but I just received a response from the passport office and they've said I'm better off to head to a counter as they can't guarantee the 10 days with it being xmas!! So it looks like I'm off to cork - happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

angeldaisy wrote: »
    thanks for that, but I just received a response from the passport office and they've said I'm better off to head to a counter as they can't guarantee the 10 days with it being xmas!! So it looks like I'm off to cork - happy days!!

If it's not Ryanair you're flying with you don't need a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yup
    For travel to the uk on aer lingus for instance:
    "Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian."

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/visaspassports/#d.en.4566

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

Not great advice. When leaving your home country, ALWAYS carry a passport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement