Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

You could use a TV link compatible amplifier after the tri link, this will keep the RF level right for multiple points as well as passing the IR remote relay signal.

hi guys -

quick question re rf distribution to multiple rooms in the house from a duo.. i'm using an RF modulator and a powermid ir transtmiter to change channels.. i know i could also use say a triax trilink but if i had say three rooms i wants to distribute to - is there any scalable solution for changing channels? i know you could use an app like dreamdroid on your phone to change the channels but for folks who havent joined the smartphone generation yet?

Cheers,
    Mick

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thanks Tony - what would you be looking at to get the IR signal back to the vu+ box? multiple triax trilink kits?
    Tony wrote: »
    You could use a TV link compatible amplifier after the tri link, this will keep the RF level right for multiple points as well as passing the IR remote relay signal.

No just one tri link kit and a suitable amplifier

Thanks Tony - what would you be looking at to get the IR signal back to the vu+ box? multiple triax trilink kits?

can you use multiple 'eyes' with the trilink?

No just one tri link kit and a suitable amplifier

Thought I had already answered that but yes :)

can you use multiple 'eyes' with the trilink?

• Advertisement

Im assuming then you can buy addition eyes for use with the trilink or will generic ones work?
    Thought I had already answered that but yes :)

Im assuming then you can buy addition eyes for use with the trilink or will generic ones work?

I'm using a lab gear remote eye here so any sky compatible tv link should work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

have looked into sky eye in the past. have vu duo downstairs connected to primary hdtv. upstairs i have old crt tv. my understanding was that because there is no rf output on the duo it is not possible to have a sky eye connected so i can transmit to the tv upstairs. instead i have a dm500 running upstairs but would like to have a sky eye solution instead so i can use the dm500 elsewhere. is this possible?

Yes read the posts above yours

ok, did read a few pages back on this post but i',m still at a loss. what gear do i need to buy to transmit from my duo to my crappy tv upstairs

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Hi lads

I finally am getting Fibre broadband and want to stream channels to a friend who is living abroad

I have used Veetle and made a stream private and it works, but would love to stream using VLC with a dynamic DNS

can anyone help me locate a tutorial on how to accomplish this with the VU duo?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

ouncer wrote: »
    have looked into sky eye in the past. have vu duo downstairs connected to primary hdtv. upstairs i have old crt tv. my understanding was that because there is no rf output on the duo it is not possible to have a sky eye connected so i can transmit to the tv upstairs. instead i have a dm500 running upstairs but would like to have a sky eye solution instead so i can use the dm500 elsewhere. is this possible?

As tony has ritefully said U simply need a Triax tri-link which is fed from the scart socket and then run a cable to the room and u can use a magic eye which comes with the tri-link. If you want more than one magic eye you need a bi-directional amplifier that will work with magic eyes preferably one that you can plug in. i use one myself and have no problems whatsoever with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

kingtiger wrote: »
    Hi lads

I finally am getting Fibre broadband and want to stream channels to a friend who is living abroad

I have used Veetle and made a stream private and it works, but would love to stream using VLC with a dynamic DNS

can anyone help me locate a tutorial on how to accomplish this with the VU duo?

Thanks

The easiest way to do it without annoying anyone would be to get a slingbox.

But, as you asked a question :)

Setup a static IP address on your Duo (e.g. 192.168.1.10), on your router enable Port Forwarding for some ports directly to your box, for example ports 80 and 8001. Now setup your Dynamic DNS to point to your home network (e.g. kingtiger.ddns.org). Your friend can then goto kingtiger.ddns.org:80 to access the web interface and then when they want to watch something they'll get kingtiger.ddns.org:8001 to open through VLC player.

That's the way I've it done on my network, although I've used different ports as I've 2 boxes and I primarily use my phone to watch streams.

Clareman wrote: »
    The easiest way to do it without annoying anyone would be to get a slingbox.

nah that costs money

think I was overcomplicating the whole DDNS procedure, its looks pretty straightforward

but I don't want to give access to my webif, I was looking for a way to stream from VLC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

nah that costs money

think I was overcomplicating the whole DDNS procedure, its looks pretty straightforward

but I don't want to give access to my webif, I was looking for a way to stream from VLC

Why don't you want to give access to Webif? You can turn on authentication in Webif config, so that only you can access it.

Here's what I have done:
    - Create a free noip.com account
    - Create a free host on no-ip.com and now you have your own host name so you can access Webif from anywhere.
    You can set your duo to tell no-ip on a regular interval what your ip is.
    e.g. Blue button, blue again>Inadyn settings and enter as here:
    http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/how-to-make-inadyn-work-with-no-ip-service.6625/#post-53813
    (note: alias is the hostname you created)

- As long as you have port 80/8001 port forwarded on your router, you can access Webif and click on any channel now and watch it externally. Works for me although not very well as my upload speed is terrible on my home network, but access is still useful for instant recording etc.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Why don't you want to give access to Webif?.

as there will be more than one person viewing the stream

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Hey guys thinking about getting the duo! Only I don't have an aerial on my roof justsatellite will iI be able to get rtrate and tv3? Or is there something else I need to buy and is it hard to setup! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

as there will be more than one person viewing the stream

Shouldn't be an issue unless you have just a single tuner.

Hey guys thinking about getting the duo! Only I don't have an aerial on my roof justsatellite will iI be able to get rtrate and tv3? Or is there something else I need to buy and is it hard to setup! Cheers

the duo does not support saorview (it does not have an rf input which you would connect your ariel into). It does support a satellite connection but then you need a sky subscription and a knowledge on how to load and configure software that will allow you to read the sky card. if you are not a linux buff i would suggest you get a skybox and a sky subscription. the duo is a very expensive box and is primarily used for card sharing purposes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

you can a usb dvb-t tuner for the duo, that way you can watch saorview

Thanks glic which USB dvb-t is the best!

Also have lots of experience with linux having dealt with raspberry pi etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

ouncer wrote: »
    the duo does not support saorview (it does not have an rf input which you would connect your ariel into). It does support a satellite connection but then you need a sky subscription and a knowledge on how to load and configure software that will allow you to read the sky card. if you are not a linux buff i would suggest you get a skybox and a sky subscription. the duo is a very expensive box and is primarily used for card sharing purposes

No, no and no...

USB tuner such as Sony Play TV gives two DTT tuners.

You don't need a Sky sub to watch FTA channels, the enigma2 gui is probably the best interface for combo/FTA viewing.

Nor do you need any Linux knowledge to get up and running. Download an image onto a USB stick, load up, and away you go. No different to updating firmware on the myriad combo boxes available. Scanning sats and organising channels can all be done with the remote, like any other box, except more easily.

Primarily used for CS? Who knows, have you any stats to back this up?

rurs wrote: »
    No, no and no...

USB tuner such as Sony Play TV gives two DTT tuners.

You don't need a Sky sub to watch FTA channels, the enigma2 gui is probably the best interface for combo/FTA viewing.

Nor do you need any Linux knowledge to get up and running. Download an image onto a USB stick, load up, and away you go. No different to updating firmware on the myriad combo boxes available. Scanning sats and organising channels can all be done with the remote, like any other box, except more easily.

Primarily used for CS? Who knows, have you any stats to back this up?

Thanks for the info rurs! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Have to agree with rurs response.
    I have a ClarkTech ET9000 (same vintage as DUO) with a Sony Play TV dual usb tuner for Saorview.
    Have configured nfs server on it, so can view recordings on other networked media devices.
    As for recording power, was able to record last games of Rabopro12 rugby a few weeks ago when all games where on at the same time - 2 from Saorview on dvb-t tuner and 2 from BBC on sat tuners, no problems.
    Initial outlay a bit expensive, but no ongoing s@y subs!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Having a bit of a strange issue lately with my Duo running Vix3.0.679
    If I set a timer, while it will record fine the box acts as if it only has 1 sat feed available.
    Now I have both Sat tuners on 4port Diseqc switches
    Tuner 1: Port A: 13e. B: 19.2e, C: 28.2e D: 23.5e
    Tuner 2: Port A: 9e, B: 16e, C: 28.2e, D: 4.8e
    When a recording starts on 28.2e, I get a ''tune failed'' message when I move to a channel on a different TP.

The odd thing is that none of the other sats on the free tuner are available, for example if I'm recording on Tuner 1,
    I should have 9e, 16e 28.2e and 4.8e available but when i try switch to any of these I get a ''tune failed'' message.
    Yet when I have no recording in progress all sats\channels are available on both Sat tuners.
    The DVB-T tuner works fine during Sat recordings, but the sat channels seem to lock out
    Nothing has changed in my settings and I'm probably missing something simple.
    Any ideas?
    I may roll back to an old backup to see if the issue persists but it has me stumped currently.
    I should have added that I tried satfinder and all inputs hi/lo are working fine.
    Indeed when i am not recording, all inputs\channels work perfectly across both tuners.
    I just reflashed an old 3.0.534 build and the issue does not occur, I can watch\record across all tuners with no issue.
    Very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lfc84

duo2 out on 8 July according to hm sat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Apogee

banie01 wrote: »
    Having a bit of a strange issue lately with my Duo running Vix3.0.679
    If I set a timer, while it will record fine the box acts as if it only has 1 sat feed available.
    Now I have both Sat tuners on 4port Diseqc switches
    Tuner 1: Port A: 13e. B: 19.2e, C: 28.2e D: 23.5e
    Tuner 2: Port A: 9e, B: 16e, C: 28.2e, D: 4.8e
    When a recording starts on 28.2e, I get a ''tune failed'' message when I move to a channel on a different TP.

The odd thing is that none of the other sats on the free tuner are available, for example if I'm recording on Tuner 1,
    I should have 9e, 16e 28.2e and 4.8e available but when i try switch to any of these I get a ''tune failed'' message.

Are you sure it's recording 28e from Tuner 1 and not from tuner 2? What happens if you select a channel from 13e when recording? Or are the 13e channels 'greyed out'?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Apogee wrote: »
    Are you sure it's recording 28e from Tuner 1 and not from tuner 2? What happens if you select a channel from 13e when recording? Or are the 13e channels 'greyed out'?

Yep, Certain and its the same issue when I change the tuner priority.
    When the timer starts, the only channels that aren't ''greyed out'' are the ones on the TP that I'm recording despite all tuners and sats being available before the timer starts.
    It acts as if only a single feed is set up.

I've been through every permutation of tuner setup on the .679 build and whilst all sats are available across both tuners,
    as soon as a timer record event starts the box acts as if it only has a single sat feed.(USB tuners are still available)

Logic says it should be either a hardware or a config issue.
    However, 7 LNBs are unlikely to fail at once nor are 2 4way Diseqcs and to rule that out I tested all with both a meter and swapping out the Duo for a different receiver and all worked without issue.
    All quadrants of all LNBs with no issue and the same with Diseqc command tests, all passed without issue.
    And the same result with the coax, tried different receivers all worked fine.
    And when not running a record event, both tuners work as normal.

Tuner config is as listed in my initial post above with priority set to auto, but even with priority changed to A or B, the unit will display channels from both tuners perfectly well until a timer record is started and then once again it behaves as a single tuner unit.(Behaves the same after disconnect of USB tuner and reboot too)
    What stumps me is that while this behaviour is displayed regardless of settings on the .679 build when I revert to an older build (.534) the issue does not occur whatsoever.

I've reported this over on WOS too as it happens with their image.
    Its not too big an inconvenience as I have a working back up not affected by the issue.
    Just flagging it because its very very odd!!!
    And incase anyone encounters similar ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Zardoz

lfc84 wrote: »
    duo2 out on 8 July according to hm sat
    Half a tonne ,saucy !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement