Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zombie books I've read

• 11-08-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭

Just a list to track my own reading and an opportunity to discuss
    In no particular order

Author: Mark Tufo
    Zombie Fallout
    Zombie Fallout 2: A Plague Upon Your Family
    Zombie Fallout 3: The End
    Zombie Fallout 4: The End Has Come and Gone
    Zombie Fallout 5: Alive In A Dead World
    Zombie Fallout 6: 'Till Death Do Us Part
    Zombie Fallout 7: For the Fallen
    Zombie Fallout 7: An Old Beginning

Author: Max Brooks
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
    The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead

Author: Mira Grant
    Feed
    Deadline
    Blackout
    Parasite
    Symbiont

Author: Jonathan Maberry
    Patient Zero
    Rot and Ruin
    Dust and Decay

Author: J.L. Bourne
    Day by Day Armageddon
    Beyond Exile
    Day by Day Armageddon: Shattered Hourglass

Author: Shane Moore
    The Apocalypse of Enoch: Rapture
    The Apocalypse of Enoch: Scourge

Author: Bobby Adair
    Slow Burn Zero Day
    Slow Burn Infected
    Slow Burn Destroyer
    Slow Burn Dead Fire
    Slow Burn Torrent
    Slow Burn Bleed

Author: Charlie Higson
    The Enemy
    The Dead
    The Fear
    The Sacrafice
    The Fallen
    The Hunted

Author: Eric Lowther
    Area 187 - Almost Hell

Author: Adam Baker
    Outpost

Author: Amanda Hocking
    Hollowland
    Hollowmen

Author: Annie Walls
    Taking on the Dead
    Controlling the Dead

Author: T.W. PiperBrook
    Contamination Zero
    Contamination The Onset
    Contamination Crossroads
    Contamination Wasteland

Author: Peter Meridith

The Apocalypse The undead World
    The Apocalypse Survivors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Impressive list Wabbit! Do you have a favourite? Or in other words could you recommend me one from that list please :p. (I've read the Max Brooks ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Day by Day Armageddon series is great so out of all them Id say that is prob the one to go for.

Some of the series are a bit young adult but well written, best of those would be "the enemy" series by Higson.

Best absolutely stupid, not particularly well written but highly entertaining would be the Mark Tufo books.

I shouldn't have put in the justin cronin books, theyre very good, but more vampire then zombie.

A little Update with A few additions in italics

Zombie Fallout

Feed
    Deadline
    Blackout
    Parasite

Patient Zero
    Rot and Ruin
    Dust and Decay

Day by Day Armageddon
    Beyond Exile

Slow Burn Zero Day
    Slow Burn Infected
    Slow Burn Destroyer
    Slow Burn Dead Fire
    Slow Burn Torrent

The Enemy
    The Dead
    The Fear
    The Sacrafice
    The Fallen
    The Hunted

Area 187 - Almost Hell

Outpost

Hollowland
    Hollowmen

Taking on the Dead
    Controlling the Dead

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭anomalous

Great list and a few I havn't read yet - Ill give them a go
    I read rot and ruin but found it too young adult for me - just thought it was hitting you over the head with the point it was trying to make instead of being a bit more subtle
    I agree about Justin Cronin's books being more vampirish than zombie but they are well worth the read for the post apocalyptic feel they have, and im looking forward to the next one coming out
    I was pleasantly surprised by the Mira grant books and thought they were well done - I liked her take on the zombie apocalypse
    I read White Flag of the dead and some of the sequels by Joseph Talluto - they were ok and worth a look but I thought he fudged the 'rules' whenever it suited him in the sequels but I liked the first book

Hi Anomalous List Updated, but on the Mira grant books, I just read Symbiont and TBH It was absolute dirt. I found it an absolute chore to read and I really liked the other books.

I'm on Peter Merediths The Apocalypse series and am reasonably enjoying them. I also read books 1-4 of T W Piperbrooks Contamination books. Ill read the rest of the series to finish it off but they're pretty average and forgettable.

The sixth book in Bobby Adair's Slow Burn series was also just ok. The series should have ended there but the author bottled it at the end and left it open for more books.

Zombie Fallout

Feed
    Deadline
    Blackout
    Parasite
    Symbiont

Patient Zero
    Rot and Ruin
    Dust and Decay

Day by Day Armageddon
    Beyond Exile

Slow Burn Zero Day
    Slow Burn Infected
    Slow Burn Destroyer
    Slow Burn Dead Fire
    Slow Burn Torrent
    Slow Burn Bleed

The Enemy
    The Dead
    The Fear
    The Sacrafice
    The Fallen
    The Hunted

Area 187 - Almost Hell

Outpost

Hollowland
    Hollowmen

Taking on the Dead
    Controlling the Dead

Author: T.W. PiperBrook
    Contamination Zero
    Contamination The Onset
    Contamination Crossroads
    Contamination Wasteland

Author: Peter Meridith

The Apocalypse The undead World
    The Apocalypse Survivors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i can edit your OP to update this if you like?

that would be great thanks!

done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭anomalous

I had only read the first 3 of Mira Grant's (Feed, Deadline, Blackout) I didn't actually know there were more and even though you said that the last one wasn't great I will probably read it - I always have to know what happens :-P
    I'm going to try to find some of the other titles as well and read them but the second hand bookshop I go to always has the zombie books in the teen romance section!!!! and I think that is why I haven't read any in a while - I don't want people to think I'm browsing Twilight!!! :-P

parasite and symbiont are a separate series to the news flesh series. I thought the kellis amberlee virus was probably the best thought out virus of any book yet, even better than max brooks solanum.

Parasite and symbiont are more about a parasite that takes over the host body and turns them into mindless zombie like creatures if they don't do it right and take over cleanly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I'm actually looking for a Zombie series to read but keep forgetting to look up any. :o

To date all I've read are the Resident Evil books and The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Your suggestions will more than likely help, so thanks for that.

Best so far of these is either the mira grants newsflesh series ( self published, So you have to forgive the writing for what is a great story) or Bournes day by day Armageddon series.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I'll try to start with Mira Grant then, as it's a longer series and I'm looking for something I can *ahem* sink my teeth into.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Only ones I've read are the Walking dead: rise of the governor , road to woodbury and the fall of the governor part 1 and 2 and the the words of their roaring by matthew smith

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

No D.J Molles?
    Suggest you get reading "The Remaining" series asap!
    http://www.amazon.com/D.J.-Molles/e/B007QPRLYA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jaysus!

I've a lot of zombie novels to catch up on :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Jake Bible
    Z-burbia
    Z-Burbia 2: Parkway to Hell
    Z-Burbia 3: Estate of the Dead
    Z-Burbia 4: Cannibal Road
    Z-Burbia 5: The Bleeding Heartland

Sean Liebling
    Blood, Brains, and Bullets
    Legacy of The Living(Blood, Brains, and Bullets Book 2)
    Reaper: No Mercy

geecee wrote: »
    No D.J Molles?
    Suggest you get reading "The Remaining" series asap!
    http://www.amazon.com/D.J.-Molles/e/B007QPRLYA

He is next on the to read list when I finish the Peter Meridith's "The Apocalypse" series.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

A.R. Wise - Deadlocked series? Really enjoyed reading about the initial outbreak in first book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13371322-deadlocked

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Mountain Man series by Keith C. Blackmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

I really enjoyed World War Z and Zombie Survival Guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

I have been listening to a lot of these on audio, during work drives...anything is better than newstalk or rte1.... Come to think of it they sound like the living dead, but I digress..

Also hope it's okay to post this here, if not I will repost on a thread of its own.

The Mira grant newsflesh series is done very well on audio. Completely different take on the genre, a welcome change.

The zombie fallout series,although not exclusively zombies, has one of the best voice overs for audio books I have heard in a long time. They are also quite funny in places.

Dj moles the remaining is also excellent series. Not shambling walkers but a great listen to. Actually looking forward to his next one due in May this year I think. Also great voice over.

Zero day, great story but sweet baby Jesus, they must of picked a guy high on crack to read it. Think speed reading. Gave up on that. By way of example, the last line of the book (can't fully recall it now as I was laughing so much) was, say, 'and the zombie followed the hero. The end.'. That was read as andthezombiefollowedtheherotheend...I kid you not. The whole audio book is like that and it's a shame because it sounds good.

Day by day Armageddon : I just started that this week and is well done in audio format.

World war z is fantastic in audio. Particularly love the part done by none other than mark hamill and he is fantastic in it. Having also read the book, they do a truly excellent job on it.

If anyone has any other audio book recommendations I would love to hear about them, assuming I have not derailed the thread of course.

Hamill is a really decent voice actor, i listened to WWZ audio book one insomniac night.. it didnt help, it didnt help at all :D

I believe he voice the Joker in a recent batman game too, plus he's gonan be Luke again in the new SW film/s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Zone One, by Colston Whitehead. Chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

I've read The Panama Laugh by Thomas S. Roche

I've read The Panama Laugh by Thomas S. Roche

is this available on e-book?

Finished books 3 and 4 of Meridiths The Apocalypse The undead World series and just started Molles 'The Remaining' book 1. TBH so far the main character isn't at all believable with his super soldier hero complex, but I'm only a few chapters in.

I'm on book 2 (Audio book) of Alaskan undead by Sean Schubert Pretty good actually.

Wabbit ears it is worth sticking with the remaining imho, it does sound like he is a super soldier and he is until he meets zombies...lol...

The reviews of Alaskan undead aren't very positive, basically saying its another self-publish that really needed to be edited properly.

Finished the first book of molles 'remaining' series and am good bit into the second. Honestly? truly awful books. Its not really an apocalypse book at all, its a US marine circle-jerk fantasy. Ill finish the series as much as it pains me to do so.

• Advertisement

The reviews of Alaskan undead aren't very positive, basically saying its another self-publish that really needed to be edited properly.

Finished the first book of molles 'remaining' series and am good bit into the second. Honestly? truly awful books. Its not really an apocalypse book at all, its a US marine circle-jerk fantasy. Ill finish the series as much as it pains me to do so.

Oh crap, I thought the remaining was pretty good. Sorry for the bum steer there.

As for Alaskan undead, just keep in mind I'm on audio books so that may hide a multitude of sins! It's a little repetitive in the odd place, he had an army segment left hanging at least so far but overall I like it...but then again I thought the remaining was good...lol...so you have been warned!!!!!!

Also FYI...I have watched nazi zombies at the centre of the earth and love pontypool...so perhaps my recommendations are a little suspect in this genre... ;)

Advertisement