Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I got in!, I was on the fail four times list. I think the last year of it. Paris is good, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭plodder

PFO for me as well (2nd time). I wish they would let you know what your chances are. Not sure about this year, but the numbers allowed in to the overseas ballot was quite small (5000?). So, that gave an impression of a fair chance of getting a place. But, I suspect the number of actual places must be very small. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

We regret that we have to advise you that your application to run in the 2012 Virgin London Marathon has not been successful due to massive over-subscription.
    I missed out too...
    Congrats to those who got in, and for those who didn't - join me in May for the Edinburgh Marathon. I'm sure we'll have much nicer scenery and less crowds than London :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Got a PFO, which I'm kinda glad about because I don't really trust myself to stay healthy enough for long enough to train for a spring marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Had an email from my friend in Scotland today to say my GFA entry pack arrived in the post so looks like I'm there for next April :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

And it's a no for me. Ah well, back to the drawing board :cool:

Best of luck to those of you who got accepted. Happy, injury-free training to you all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

opus wrote: »
    Had an email from my friend in Scotland today to say my GFA entry pack arrived in the post so looks like I'm there for next April :)

My GFA entry arrived (via fake address in UK, thanks you know who you are ;)) yesterday.

Going to defer until 2013 however. I like the way you can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

My GFA entry arrived (via fake address in UK, thanks you know who you are ;)) yesterday.

Going to defer until 2013 however. I like the way you can do this.

See you in the GFA pen in 2013. You're going down :rolleyes: Why dont you join a club in the UK? you'd get in for free then.

They better not change the criteria for 2013 like they did for Boston.

Why dont you join a club in the UK? you'd get in for free then.

Actually considering that, so I can get in with UK championship runners. How much are you clubs annual subs ;)
    They better not change the criteria for 2013 like they did for Boston.

Seriously, I'd laugh if they did :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You need a sub 2:45 run after 1st January 2010 to get a championship entry, and you have until 6th Jan 2012 to get your entry in for next years race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why dont you join a club in the UK? you'd get in for free then.

Did you sign up to a club in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

PFO email for me also....

Actually considering that, so I can get in with UK championship runners. How much are you clubs annual subs ;)

Seriously, I'd laugh if they did :D

£35 a year, not worth it unless it gets you into the Great North run too etc.

I'll be sending in a few anonymous tips about competitor's residencies if you get in and i don't ;)
    robinph wrote: »
    Did you sign up to a club in London?

Yep London Heathside. We train on Parliament Hill, where the national xc is on this year. No way i'm running it though.

Yep London Heathside. We train on Parliament Hill, where the national xc is on this year. No way i'm running it though.

Might be along for the national XC if I get picked, hopefully not as sloppy mud as the last one at Alton Towers.

Might be along for the national XC if I get picked, hopefully not as sloppy mud as the last one at Alton Towers.

Doesnt get too muddy there but the hills are a right b!tch. My house is literally across the road from the course so i'll be over for a laugh to cheer you on if you're running.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Missed out on the ballot for the last 2 years & didn't even enter this time.

But in a rather amazing & unexpected twist last week, my company announced a corporate charity link up for London 2012 and they had 15 places on offer.

The fundraising target is a little daunting tbh (min €1,000) but should be possible so have a real focus for my winter training now after a very injury disrupted year to date.

Anyway, comiserations to all those that didn't make it...I know how you feel

Quick question - is the Olympic Marathon being ran on the same course?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Quick question - is the Olympic Marathon being ran on the same course?

No, the Olympic marathon course is 3 1/2 laps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

RayCun wrote: »
    No, the Olympic marathon course is 3 1/2 laps

Ah nobody told me that, I though It was the olympic marathon I got into.. ;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    Ah nobody told me that, I though It was the olympic marathon I got into.. ;)

Special olympics ?

• Advertisement

It is supposed to be 4 laps of this course:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/89039796

At least that what is suggests on the crappy cotton t-shirt I got at the end saying "I ran the course" and the Olympic rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Special olympics ?
    I'd take that :)

:eek: My pre-arranged accommodation plans are in tatters (London based mate moving to Birmingham)

Can anyone recommend a decent, strategically located but affordable hotel/B&B to book?

Cartman78 wrote: »
    :eek: My pre-arranged accommodation plans are in tatters (London based mate moving to Birmingham)

Can anyone recommend a decent, strategically located but affordable hotel/B&B to book?

Depends on where you're flying in to. Anywhere on the DLR is fine, Stratford perhaps, there's loads of new hotels there for the olympics. Check your route to the start in Greenwich using the TFL website to see how long (and convenient) your journey is.

Somewhere near Canary Wharf or the ExCel centre is convenient for the start and expo while somewhere closer to town is handy for after the finish. See what you find, it's a big city! Any questions just shout.

Despite being a nearly "local" myself I will more than likely be booking a couple of nights in a hotel somewhere. It appears that we get free transport on the underground with our race numbers for the day so location doesn't matter a great deal, except for where are we going to go for a drink afterwards.

Are all you Paddies going to be flying straight back on the Sunday leaving just me and Brianderunner to drink the imported Guinness together? What kind of area do you suggest for finding a suitable hostelry Mr de'runner?

...in other news... I've just put my name down for running the National XC on Parliament Hill in February, so I'll probably see you around then in a muddy field. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

thursday to sunday for me.
    Re transport all runners with numbers from charing cross london bridge and waterloo east..........
    A mate of mine stayed in liverpool street and walked 10 min to london bridge station. 10 min out to blackheath. FGFA and Ballot go here.
    The above three stations have trains every 15 min to blackheath starting at 6.54. A 10-12 min walk will get you to blue start or to the green start for the priveleged.
    London bridge is a great spot as your back there withn 30 min of the finish.

Despite being a nearly "local" myself I will more than likely be booking a couple of nights in a hotel somewhere. It appears that we get free transport on the underground with our race numbers for the day so location doesn't matter a great deal, except for where are we going to go for a drink afterwards.

Are all you Paddies going to be flying straight back on the Sunday leaving just me and Brianderunner to drink the imported Guinness together? What kind of area do you suggest for finding a suitable hostelry Mr de'runner?

Been in London 11 months and still haven't had a pint of Guinness, doesnt travel well i hear :pac: Whitehall was good craic last year, sun was out and everyone was in a good mood. We can move to the West end after to O'Neills or Waxy's (5 min walk up the road just off Leicester Square), Shels should be around and a few others. I'm not going into work after 14 pints this year, never again :rolleyes:
    ...in other news... I've just put my name down for running the National XC on Parliament Hill in February, so I'll probably see you around then in a muddy field. :D

Better you than me on that one. 12k (or is it more?) up and down those hills, no thanks :D I'll head across the road for a look alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

It is supposed to be 4 laps of this course:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/89039796

At least that what is suggests on the crappy cotton t-shirt I got at the end saying "I ran the course" and the Olympic rings.

The Olympic course is slightly different but basically the same. There is also a short initial lap which goes half way across Westminster bridge and does a U-Turn. Its also slightly different around the Tower section.

It deffo wont be fast but should be a good entertaining race with lots of corners and opportunities for athletes to make breaks.

Gah! Just discovered that I've a cousins wedding to go to on the weekend of London Marathon. It's not a major issue as it's for London based family so isn't far out of the way in the grand scheme of things.

Not sure I'll be able to make it through the day staying sober though. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Gah! Just discovered that I've a cousins wedding to go to on the weekend of London Marathon. It's not a major issue as it's for London based family so isn't far out of the way in the grand scheme of things.

Not sure I'll be able to make it through the day staying sober though. :eek:
    you have your excuse even before you start training. :D:D

Advertisement