Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just picked this up over lunchtime and installing now.
    Levels of productivity are about to drop dramatically:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Glebee wrote: »
    Just picked this up over lunchtime and installing now.
    Levels of productivity are about to drop dramatically:):)

You, my friend, have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lads, wtf with server choice thing? you have to choose server once and then pay to transfer to another one? :confused:

i dont know on which one my friend atm...

lads, wtf with server choice thing? you have to choose server once and then pay to transfer to another one? :confused:

I think a lot of people from boards here are on Gunnar's Hold. The Desolation is also the unofficial Western Europe (i.e. England and Ireland) server. I have no idea if this is true, but a friend did mention to me that server transfers are currently free.
    Most MMORPG's do a similar thing about servers, you choose one then pay to transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 One Eyed Milkman

Was anyone fighting the swamp monster just as the server went down? So close yet so far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeh I saw that in the chat.

"To the swamp! quickly!"

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

delta36 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people from boards here are on Gunnar's Hold. The Desolation is also the unofficial Western Europe (i.e. England and Ireland) server. I have no idea if this is true, but a friend did mention to me that server transfers are currently free.
    Most MMORPG's do a similar thing about servers, you choose one then pay to transfer.

Transfering to another server simply to play with a friend is free and is intended to be pretty easy and quick when its up and running, however transfering your Home server which is who you fight for in WvW will cost a fee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Only people w/o spoilers on their Scoobies need to pay this fee :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

anyone having any problems logging in atm? logged out to feed the child now i cant log in

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Changing servers is free for a few weeks till the game and population settles down, so wouldn't worry about it till then.

And Ive never heard of a mmo with free server transfers(unless its about to die, aka swtor)
    I rem actually a lad and his wife who joined an old guild I was in(in lotro) transfer over 9 toons each and each toon cost like €15 euro to move, I was mindboggled :D

• Advertisement

Heres a full explanation of how home servers work and what is planned for guesting on other servers

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#Guesting

wtf, just killed some massive **** hands and got booted to desktop, now cant log in....

VinLieger wrote: »
    Transfering to another server simply to play with a friend is free and is intended to be pretty easy and quick when its up and running, however transfering your Home server which is who you fight for in WvW will cost a fee

Wow, I had completely forgotten about guesting! Any word on when that's available?

wtf, just killed some massive **** hands and got booted to desktop, now cant log in....

Yeah the people who bought it today have overloaded the EU login system again it seems

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

so no one can get in atm?

so no one can get in atm?

No some people can, just keep hitting that login button and hope your lucky

i guess its going to be unplayable for the next few days so... meh ill go to shower and back to Diablo so :p

But....But......they have to let me on. My ranger needs me. I left her out in the middle of a field all alone. She's far too pretty to make it back to town without me. The monster's will eat her for breakfast! :p

gw001j.jpg

Gerry the Brown Bear is her only hope.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I've a level 32 Ranger which I am enjoying to bits. I really love to SOLO
    in MMO's until I level cap. Grouping without needing to be actually in a guild/group and not having to roll for loot or use DKP lists makes a pleasant change.

I was up at 4:30 am Last Saturday morning for the head start
    spamming the login button waiting for the servers to be switched on :D
    had my main created within 2-3 mins and yet could not get any of my character names that I had wanted. Some of my friends said it
    was the same for them and they were picking pretty obscure names.
    Even words "as gaeilge" were apparently taken instantly which is
    very weird.

I found this odd, even if the names are global and not server based I've
    always managed to get "bullets" as my character name as I've usually played betas and done head starts etc, and I had some others like and a few other very very odd names.
    These were all taken within 5-10 mins of the servers going live!!!!! :eek:

I find it difficult to believe all the names could be snapped up so fast.
    Even when you had the ability to pre-book or claim your old Guildwars 1 character names they were all at least two word names. Every one word
    character name would have been up for grabs at head start launch time.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    I've a level 32 Ranger which I am enjoying to bits. I really love to SOLO
    in MMO's until I level cap. Grouping without needing to be actually in a guild/group and not having to roll for loot or use DKP lists makes a pleasant change.

I was up at 4:30 am Last Saturday morning for the head start
    spamming the login button waiting for the servers to be switched on :D
    had my main created within 2-3 mins and yet could not get any of my character names that I had wanted. Some of my friends said it
    was the same for them and they were picking pretty obscure names.
    Even words "as gaeilge" were apparently taken instantly which is
    very weird.

I found this odd, even if the names are global and not server based I've
    always managed to get "bullets" as my character name as I've usually played betas and done head starts etc, and I had some others like and a few other very very odd names.
    These were all taken within 5-10 mins of the servers going live!!!!! :eek:

I find it difficult to believe all the names could be snapped up so fast.
    Even when you had the ability to pre-book or claim your old Guildwars 1 character names they were all at least two word names. Every one word
    character name would have been up for grabs at head start launch time.

~B

Indeed. The names on this one went so bloody fast. I got Hokem and HokemPokem so I was happy there but honestly, they are uncommon names. One of the reasons I created them a while back.

Kirby was gone though. That's to be expected ofcourse.

• Advertisement

well still cant log in. i love how they made it say "check your firewall bull****"...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

The name thing is just down to the fact it was a massive launch, and games are game wide not server wide, US and EU share same name pool aswell, so the sheer numbers logging on at midnight in yankyland and 5/6am in EU was insane and names just went. I dont think theres anything else to it then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Afaik all gw1 names are reserved for a few days after launch and are available for gw1 players who wish to keep them which would explain the names being gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Kirby wrote: »
    But....But......they have to let me on. My ranger needs me. I left her out in the middle of a field all alone. She's far too pretty to make it back to town without me. The monster's will eat her for breakfast! :p

gw001j.jpg

Gerry the Brown Bear is her only hope.........

My bear is called "Big Brown Barry".

Gerry and Barry very appropriate bear names if I do say so. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I'm hoping to log in later this evening. How are the servers doing atm?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Can anyone tell me the how many files they have to download with a disc install. It says over 218,000 files for me. I have a feeling it's downloading the whole game....

edit: It is, just checked on my laptop and it's installing from the disc on that.

Wel I did not had a lot of time to play it, but One thing strikes me from the start - its a really beautifull game. Love those group quest too, but warhorse had it too and unfortunately it dies due to lack of people. Maybe it will be different with no sub.

Btw can you reply those quest? To get more of that currency?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Big Knox wrote: »
    My bear is called "Big Brown Barry".

Gerry and Barry very appropriate bear names if I do say so. :P

Started a ranger alt over the weekend, thought id be bored to tears as i dislike the usual hunter archtype but its a lot of fun i must admit.
    Only lvl 7 now ,when does one get a huge bear ? :)

Btw, I don't knowif I like necromancy so far... Nah I love her sluty looks and outfit, but pet looks like **** and spells are just... Stupidly random at start. I can't understand if they want me to be close or far away from my enemies.
    Turning in to that dark thing looks like out of order too.

Do we have any high level necros here? Does it get better? Any cooler pets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Btw, I don't knowif I like necromancy so far... Nah I love her sluty looks and outfit, but pet looks like **** and spells are just... Stupidly random at start. I can't understand if they want me to be close or far away from my enemies.
    Turning in to that dark thing looks like out of order too.

Do we have any high level necros here? Does it get better? Any cooler pets?

Im a level 20 Necro and it seems decent so far. At the moment im only using 2 pets, the blood fiend and the shadow fiend. Mobs seem to attack them first so they tank well enough for me before i finish a mob group. As for spells you have pretty much 4 different range weapons. In mainhand Dagger is melee combat, Axe is mid range, Scepter is long and the staff is very long range :P The offhands vary in what they offer. Been using Dagger + Warhorn and Scepter + Dagger for most of the game so far, but what little i tried of the staff it seems really powerful. I like the Axe abilities but they just seems to lack power.

Question. When i stack conditions on the enemy a number beside the enemy increases and the condition refreshes. I put down one bleed on an enemy and it was ticking for 12, then i put down two bleed spells on an enemy and it stacked to 5 but was still only ticking for 12 each time. Im lost

Advertisement