Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Gah i have monday/tuesday off and nothing to do :(

Is it still possible to buy an online copy of the game with headstart ?

My failed MMO boxset collection is already bog enough anyway :p

It is I think,If you buy off the website,Im open to correction though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Now to find a friend in town with proper internet to dlwnload client for me, monthly dl limit of 15gb sucks.

Also how big is the initial patch ? 1-2 GB ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Now to find a friend in town with proper internet to dlwnload client for me, monthly dl limit of 15gb sucks.

Also how big is the initial patch ? 1-2 GB ?

erm not sure I'm afraid,who are you with?

O2 mobile net, speed isn't too bad but dl limit is stupidly small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Game is fantastic. I'm only level 12 but judging by what I've seen so far it's easily the best MMO I've played to date.

Glad I decided on Ranger in the end, really liking the class. Just done my first area event in the frozen maw and it was so epic. The game flows so well between quests (hearts) and dynamic events! Haven't touched pvp yet as I'm enjoying the levelling side of things too much.

One big problem however is the overflow system. In theory its great but I'm playing with 2 friends and we constantly find ourselves unable to group due to being in different overflows and the join function isn't working for us. Hopefully it will be fixed soon enough or we might have to transfer to a lower pop server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 neumie

Logging in seems fixed anyway which is great.
    I am up to level 10 and really enjoying it so far. Its completely different from GW1 (which i also love) but at the same time it doesn't feel like a WOW clone. When you boil it down a lot of it is grinding but Anet have done a great job of making the grind more interesting.
    The combat itself is also great though it can get a bit too hectic and sometimes i have no idea if i am actually doing anything :S.

Its also the little touch i like. For example it limits your level depending on where you are which stops people who are high level from going to low level areas and just mopping the place up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Really starting to enjoy my necro now around lvl 12 atm, had a blast today in wvw, we took over the whole place i think.

Getting used to the pve side of things still a bit to used to quest hubbing i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

cant wait till tuesday :D

Im level 5 and i need to get to 10 because the instance i want to do is level 10 recommended

Anyone else having problems getting onto the official site ?

Trying to get a price on the digital headstart version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Is the boxed copy going on sale on Tuesday, or is it download only ? Was going to drop into Gamestop to buy a copy..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im level 5 and i need to get to 10 because the instance i want to do is level 10 recommended

Do all events, explore all the map and points of interest, you should be near enough lvl by then.
    If you stick to just the personal story you wont gain enough xp to progress.
    pvp also gives xp as does gathering stuff for professions.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Also you aint stuck to your starting area or land, I done human ele 1st and flaked off to the char and norn areas very early on, is good get to do a bit of everything and rake in the XP.

Also I just logged on for 1st time today about 2mins away from a patch and game restart, now I cant login. Such bad timing :D

Dcully wrote: »
    Do all events, explore all the map and points of interest, you should be near enough lvl by then.
    If you stick to just the personal story you wont gain enough xp to progress.
    pvp also gives xp as does gathering stuff for professions.

ah I see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Thinking of picking this up on Tuesday.
    I've never played Guild wars before but I'm looking forward to it.

I was also wondering is it possible to pause the Client Download ?
    Because 17GB on a 1mb line is going to take a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Wow, just from skimming through the last few pages of posts seems like people were having trouble logging in, kind of glad I was away this weekend, save me the frustration! Looking forward to starting playing either tonight or tomorrow, and see how fast I can get to level 20, and beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

blobby360 wrote: »
    Thinking of picking this up on Tuesday.
    I've never played Guild wars before but I'm looking forward to it.

I was also wondering is it possible to pause the Client Download ?
    Because 17GB on a 1mb line is going to take a while...

Well if you pick up a physical copy you only need to download a 2gb patch.

You can't pause the download but when you resume it will restart from the last file you downloaded, Note the percentage complete bar indicates the current number of files done/left to be done rather than the remaining size and it resets every time the download is closed/opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Well if you pick up a physical copy you only need to download a 2gb patch.

You can't pause the download but when you resume it will restart from the last file you downloaded, Note the percentage complete bar indicates the current number of files done/left to be done rather than the remaining size and it resets every time the download is closed/opened.

Thanks a lot.... I guess I'll be picking up a boxed copy so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Toom3y7

the same works with the digital version, if you close the client it will resume from where you left off once you restart it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/guild-wars-2/Starter_Guide

for all that you need to know to get started with.

btw i've started a guild celtic incision on gunner's hold want and invite drop me a pm with you nick. Initially we will just group up and focus on PvE and organize PvP for those interested later on.

• Advertisement

Man I love this game

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

Man I love this game

Yeah, so far so good for me too :) I know it's early days yet, but it has really impressed me so far. The one thing I am loving about it is the fact that I am not in a mad rush levelling. I don't feel under any pressure to get to the highest level possible and max gear. It's a unique feeling for me in MMO's.

I am just playing away doing the things I like doing. It's fun. :D

Oh yeah, another thing I like, but they need to work on a little, is the events and how random people can just jump in and do the event. No sitting around for 30 minutes waiting to get a group together. Sometimes when there are 20 people doing the event it all gets a bit chaotic :) Generally I get totally lost and end up clicking my mouse like a mad thing!!

But solo combat seems to be very good, to me anyway. I always feel that I am in control, that if I use my skills and abilites properly I can win against higher level mobs. I am a human engineer. People say they are underpowered, I don't know, lol, I have nothing to compare it to. It seems fine to me.

If any of you have joined any of the Irish guilds, let me know please!! And let me know what guild you have joined!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Enjoying this a stupid amount at present. Admittedly, after the few hours downtime yesterday, I thought it was going to be more of the same old MMO launch. Whatever they did though, it worked, and today I've played most of the day with absolutely no issues.

The graphics for an unoptimised game are incredible. I'm guessing most people have done that Behemoth thing in the swamp where you have to kill the portals etc.. With 30 or 40 people running around and everything going ape-****, the engine never slowed down and there was no lag that I could detect. Incredible.

I've just got the last vista in Queensland, and got a nice reward, level 15 and about to move on with my story quests.

Absolutely absolutely loving it. Feel no pressure to level quickly, everything works seamlessly - the automatic scaling to the zone is brilliant - means no griefing and you always have to watch out where you're going (said he who ran madly at a level 5 Veteran as a level 12, only to have his ass handed to him.....).

The tragedy of it all is that I'm now away on with work for the next week, so no more GW2 till next Monday. I can't wait to get back in.

Will be interesting to see how it performs next week when the normal launch happens - I'll only be reading about it but fingers crossed it goes well.

Oh and by the way, Thief kicks your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

Oh yeah Arthur, forgot to say that in my post. I agree with you completely the automatic scaling is brilliant.

As for performance, I am having no FPS issues at all. Which really does surprise me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Toom3y7

I agree on the zone scaling, its brilliant! My friend started as a different race today and i just went to his starting zone and played through the quest with him, eventhough i was 7-8 levels ahead it all felt like a quest i should be on. Also i found the leveling to not slow down much playing in a lower zone level, any events paid out plently of exp and i found myself leveling quiet quickly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Need some directions(Asura starting zone)

Found a portal that required a bit of jumping to get to and lead to an area with loads of floating islands and vines that required running across however I fell off and I can't seem to locate them again!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

reaper12 wrote: »
    Oh yeah Arthur, forgot to say that in my post. I agree with you completely the automatic scaling is brilliant.

As for performance, I am having no FPS issues at all. Which really does surprise me!!

Well Guild Wars 2 is specifically built for the PC and with no other formats in mind, completed optimized for it too. Not to mention the endless beta hours put in.

I never doubted Guild Wars 2 for one second for either gameplay nor graphics. Guild Wars 1 was and still is fantastic and it kept me going longer than any other MMO out there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Need some directions(Asura starting zone)

Found a portal that required a bit of jumping to get to and lead to an area with loads of floating islands and vines that required running across however I fell off and I can't seem to locate them again!

I would recommend against even trying this bloody puzzle. Took me 2 hours to complete. Once i finished it, i realised that i'd enjoyed it immensely. But while i was doing it, by god i was angry :P I can tell you how to do it though, as i know it inside out at this stage.

Some of the jumping puzzles are really tough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My initial thoughts...

Minor Concerns

1. At level 20, i've unlocked all my weapons skills, and have most of the useful talents that i need. I'm a little worried that, with very little to unlock, i might start to get a bit bored of my Thief. Loving the combat at the moment, but as there'll be very little changing between now and level 80 (bar an Elite Skill and some Trait skills), i'm just hoping it doesn't get a bit stale.

2. The Dynamic Events, while really enjoyable, are at times a little annoying. Not being able to find the mobs you are searching for, or encountering enemies that are unkillable on your own. I also always get sidetracked from the hearts, though i guess this isn't really a complaint, as i'm quite enjoying getting sidetracked.

3. Zerg - most of the dynamic events are just total zergs at the moment. Obviously this will stop happening as badly later on, but now it's just 20-40 people spamming abilities on elite mobs. No strategy whatsoever. I'm hoping dungeons will be more tactical.

What i love

Everything else :P Seriously, other then the minor issues above, i absolutely love the game. It's a breath of fresh air compared to most other mmo's i've played recently. Haven't even really gotten into much serious WvW, but what i've tried of it is fantastic. Then there's SPvP, Crafting, Dungeons, Exploration etc...

Also, the music in the game is fantastic. Hoelbrak is probably my favourite city, and i've not even played a Norn. Been going from city to city to get 100% map completion, and just enjoying myself.

Fantastic game, and i can't wait to get back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Right, the more I play this, the more I remember how sh*te I am at MMO's and how long it takes me to figure out the obvious. So I'm going to save myself time and ask here.

What's the story with the overflow? When an area is full, you're dumped into it, but is there any reason that this is a problem, other than if you were trying to meet up with specific players?

And what do you do with trait points? I remember using them in the beta (I only played the first beta, so it was a while ago), but can't figure them out this time and there doesn't seem to be any explanation anywhere. The traits screen has all the options greyed out (but I've got 2 or 3 points to use), and a mouse-over hint mentioned going to the trainer, but the trainer doesn't tell me anything.

Also, has anyone come up against any bugs yet? I've had two which kind of cancel each other out. One was when at level 11, I was 1-shotted by a level 10 dragonfly. And to counter-act that, in an instance I became invulnerable and wasn't taking any damage at all. Anyone get any others?

Advertisement