Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underground Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭CoolGuy2006

Anyone from Artane here.

Near The Artane boys band building there used to be two Graves (well they were made to look like graves) They were covered in big concrete headstones. Anyway, one day when i was a youngster we discovered that someone had Moved the large headstone (covering, whatever its called) to reveal a passage. You could see steps leading down into the darkness. It was so strange, especially because it wasnt sealed up for weeks. I was always bringing the other kids from school over to see it. None of us ever went down to check it out though. who the **** would?

Did anyone else see this?

With all the other stories about St Davids, it certainly added substance to the blue boy stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Anyone from Artane here.

Near The Artane boys band building there used to be two Graves (well they were made to look like graves) They were covered in big concrete headstones. Anyway, one day when i was a youngster we discovered that someone had Moved the large headstone (covering, whatever its called) to reveal a passage. You could see steps leading down into the darkness. It was so strange, especially because it wasnt sealed up for weeks. I was always bringing the other kids from school over to see it. None of us ever went down to check it out though. who the **** would?

Did anyone else see this?

With all the other stories about St Davids, it certainly added substance to the blue boy stories
    That has to be the most stereotypical internet username ever, well done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭CoolGuy2006

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Threade of olde, arise from thy grave.

A few people asked about tunnels in Galway, and yes, there are. The old rail tunnel on Prospect Hill is still there and accessible if you're willing to risk life and limb. It's partly flooded, no more than a few feet though.

There's an old network of tunnels in the city. The one entrance I'm familiar with is on Newtown Smith, by entrance to the Mercy secondary school. By the entrance to the car park across the road there's an old gated fence and steps leading down (you can easily hop the wall) to an old millery canal. Turn right and you're in the tunnels.

On top of that there's a fairly extensive network of old mill canals on both banks ofthe Corrib that no one seems to pay much attention to, as well as the old workhouse hard by the river (if you're ever walked between the O'Brien and Salmon Weir bridges, you'll have seen it) that you can gain access to by the rear of the cathedral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mate of mine works in Fire Restaurant, connected to the Mansion House.

He said there are blocked up tunnels from there to The Dáil, and into Stephen's Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

There are definitely catacombs under St Michans church. And there is definitely a tunnel which runs from there under the Liffey joining it with Christchurch. You used to be able to go down into the catacombs (not sure bout now), but the tunnel was blocked up a long, long time ago.
    Also, there are old zinc mines in certain parts of Wicklow which run pretty deep underground. But these have neither easy nor safe access unless you are well versed in rope and climbing techniques. Not to be recommended unless you are experienced enough to extract yourself from a 'situation'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There is an old escape tunnel from Glenstal Abbey Castle(Murroe, Limerick) out to the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

rte one now!,

a tour of the poddle, under the centre of dublin. very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

trooney wrote:
    There are definitely catacombs under St Michans church. And there is definitely a tunnel which runs from there under the Liffey joining it with Christchurch. You used to be able to go down into the catacombs (not sure bout now), but the tunnel was blocked up a long, long time ago.

St.michans is still open, I was in the catacombs during the summer, they have tours of them. We just stopped in, no need to call ahead or anything. you even get to touch one of the mummified bodies down there, kinda weird but very interesting:D the guide didn't say anything about a tunnel to anywhere else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Theres supposedly a tunnel in St. Anne's Park in Raheny can't remember where it goes to but it starts somewhere around the fenced off castle area...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

I wonder is there a map of Tara Mines available?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

scop wrote:
    There are very few UE spots in Dublin, and it is consistently lamented among the UE community as perhaps the least exciting city in terms places to seek out. I know people who've asked similar questions, and others who have sought out places before, and they almost always fail to come up with anything remotely interesting. I can only recall one spot appearing in any UE mags or websites, and even then it was only an abandoned factory. There are numerous graffiti spots, but once again more abandoned than underground. The old Fish Factories would be a great example of a place that is known for being out of the way [and more or less home to Irish graffiti]. I can do a little research if you want, but let us know what the article is about etc so I can find exactly what you are into it.

We have a UE community here? I constantly have to ogle UK sites instead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

read later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

this is a great thread... can't believe i didn't see this before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Degsy wrote:
    The stream that gave finglas its name is onli visible at a couple of point,along dunsink lane and parralel to the dual carraigeway beside premier square.In fact they culverted another 50 meter section of it last year,presumably so they can build apartments on top of it.

Fascinating about that stream, never knew it came all the way from dunsink lane down to the finglas road.
    I've walked a few times near the old Premier dairies site and always wondered where that stream originated, is there any map online for it?
    Its amazing how many small rivers/streams are covered over unseen, its like a hidden venice in dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gurramok wrote:
    Fascinating about that stream, never knew it came all the way from dunsink lane down to the finglas road.
    I've walked a few times near the old Premier dairies site and always wondered where that stream originated, is there any map online for it?
    Its amazing how many small rivers/streams are covered over unseen, its like a hidden venice in dublin :)

There's an excellent thread in the Dublin City forum about the streams under the North Side of Dublin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055119367

Well worth the read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

The tunnel that goes from the jacks in Swords castle!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

gurramok wrote:

It used to run at the bottom of Wellmount road in the 1970's(the road was called streammount Rd in those days.There's another one covered in at Patrickswell road that flows out towards Erins Isle GAA pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Apparently there are a number of tunnels running under Athlone.

Allegedly one going from the barracks to the castle and another going
    under the Shannon from the castle (or maybe barracks) to somewhere!

There’s also a bunker in the barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

There's a tunnel from Collins Barracks in Arbour Hill to Arbour Hill prison where political prisoners from Irelands rebellious past were brought.

There's also under ground tombs you can visit in St Michans church in Church street, and I think the tunnel to Kilmainham jail was already mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

you're welcome to come and check out under my stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you like caves check out Marble Arch caves, Fermanagh
    http://www.marblearchcaves.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

recent find in monaghan, supposedly for moving prisoners
    http://www.emigrant.ie/article.asp?iCategoryID=84&iArticleID=69411

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I read all 11 effing pages of that and got no closure! what happened to ted???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Couldnt be arsed reading this whole thread. There is a tunnel running from North Cathedral to Popes Quay in Cork City, apparantly.

Yeah a bit annoyed after reading all of that.Good story but a shame about the awful ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Great thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Clanc wrote:
    I wonder is there a map of Tara Mines available?
    Its a mine, they create a new gallery by excavating ore, fill it again with the depleted ore and dig next to it. There would be no fixed map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Does anyone have any links to photos from inside the Magazine Fort in the Phoenix Park, or any information on the fort itself? Anyone ever been inside?

I would love to have a nosey around in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement