Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Boots

• 24-08-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm looking to jump the gun and get a pair of snow boots early this year in anticipation for a white Christmas. Wasn't able to get a pair at all last winter.

I am looking for recommendations of brands and types of boots as I don't have a clue myself. Also, where is good to buy them? There's no rush, so buying online is an option.

Cheers,

U.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephencaso

When you say snow boots, do you mean snowboarding boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

When you say snow boots, do you mean snowboarding boots.

No. Boots for walking in the snow.

I really hope we get the snow your expecting.

Best bet is to try online hiking stores in Germany or Austria, if you check in the next couple of weeks you should see some could deals, But after that stores will be getting ready to sell winter gear so won't be as cheap.

I never really see people that much wear boots specifically for snow (unless snowboard boots), what you can get is like a set of chains that fit over normal hiking boots or even shoes and it gives you grip when walking on snow or ice, I have seen people with these a bit,

Put "Icetrekkers Shoe Chains" into google and click on images and you will see lots of pictures of what i mean, This is just one type theres lots more. (I could not insert the image here)

I really hope we get the snow your expecting.
    Well, I don't plan on dying in the next 40/50 years, so I think it's worth the gamble. :pac:

Not really interested in the chains, only really useful for ice. Just looking for something warm and comfortable for walking around in snow and slush.

You should get cross country ski's or tennis rackets on each foot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you want to walk in the snow - yer only man is Yaktrax. You can literally run on ice. For general keeping warm in the snow, Moonboots are hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Check out a brand called Olang from Canada. Their stuff is on sale here. Very warm, waterproof and some boots have the ice cleats built in. Not too expensive either, about €50-€80

bigfeller wrote: »
    Check out a brand called Olang from Canada. Their stuff is on sale here. Very warm, waterproof and some boots have the ice cleats built in. Not too expensive either, about €50-€80
    Will do, would that have them in the likes of the great outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Yep. The missus bought a pair there before. Don't know if they have them at the moment - worth giving them a bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭snowcrazie

Stay well away from Barts ones!!! I bought a pair in snow and rock 2 years ago and about a week later they had holes in the bottom and I havent been able to fix them since. I have roxy ones that are good and I hear the moonboots are decent too.

A word of warning though, when it gets very slushy here your feet might get wet as the top of snowboots usually aren't waterproof.

Mountain boots and yaktrax are probably the most practical solution... but not as cute :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You dont need to go too mad, I use my hiking boots in the snow and there fine (though they are a decent pair of hiking boots), a lot of places already have the attachments to add metal studs to the soles of your boots.

Try 53 Degrees north and Portwest as they both had sale stuff when I was last in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Got a pair of Karimor fully insulated snow boots in TK Maxx for €45 and they're grand for keeping warm etc. but yaktracks can't be beaten for traction on icy footpaths.

bigfeller wrote: »
    Ventured up to the Great Outdoors the other day and it was the only boot they had.
    This would be them:
    Olang_Mens_Canadian_Snowboot_Ghaccio-823eb.jpg

snowcrazie wrote: »
    A word of warning though, when it gets very slushy here your feet might get wet as the top of snowboots usually aren't waterproof.

From looking around online, these look good.
    3842.jpg

Waterproof was well according to their website, I would presume that would mean the whole boot?

Hotty wrote: »
    Hi, the most amazing shop has opened in Galway, selling snow boots for only 65. Got mine yesterday ;)

Hope you have some luck
    I bought the Trespass ones above for €40!

Advertisement