Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

• 04-04-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Hey guys, Im going to order a screen, tv card and 5.1 sound system form ebuyer, I set up an account online but will phone them in before hand to make sure its all ok with the phone number / fake post code you need to enter. Anyway all items are in stock, whats the usual postage time for them to get here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Website says 2-3 days. http://www.ebuyer.com/special/1293

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

websites say alot of things :D

I was just wondering if anyone had any 1st hand experience with them to get an idea, when I go to the order screen it gives me thursday 10th april but that could mean anything, just don't want to order from them to save some money and end up waiting 2 weeks to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Should have your stuff within 5 or 6 working days. I ordered using google checkout as this avoided any security check. Also, when some people here on boards rang them, they encountered sales staff who were adamant that ebuyer did not deliver to Ireland.

I never used google checkout before, is it straighfoward? they said I could use paypal if it was verified but from paypal tell me I need to be in the uk to verify it.

What post code did you us for google checkout? i reied their REP 123 but says isnt valid.

You just need a gmail email account to setup google checkout.

See more info about using ebuyer in the following thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055216425

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

-Al- wrote: »
    I never used google checkout before, is it straighfoward? they said I could use paypal if it was verified but from paypal tell me I need to be in the uk to verify it.

What post code did you us for google checkout? i reied their REP 123 but says isnt valid.

I too am having dificulty setting up an account. It won't take my obile number no matter how many formats I try and aslo says that my post code is invalid.

What did you guys eneter for these two fields?

OmegaRed, is it the ebuyer account you are having problems with, or the google checkout account.

If its ebuyer, remember for the postcode use REP123 (with no spaces) and for the phone number use 3531xxxxxxx (where xxxxxxx is any 7 digit number, but if you have a Dublin landline number use that). All this info is in the link to the thread giving in my previous post.

I can't remember having any problems with google checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

butts wrote: »
    OmegaRed, is it the ebuyer account you are having problems with, or the google checkout account.

If its ebuyer, remember for the postcode use REP123 (with no spaces) and for the phone number use 3531xxxxxxx (where xxxxxxx is any 7 digit number, but if you have a Dublin landline number use that). All this info is in the link to the thread giving in my previous post.

I can't remember having any problems with google checkout.

Cheers mate, will use that instead. Thanks!

I think I used my correct phone number but added a 0 to the start so it had the same about of digits as a uk number seemed to work.

My order was declined due the uk credit card thing, so went for google checkout, I was trying to use the REP123 post code with google checkout which wouldnt work. I tried some other alternatives but it wouldnt go through so I eventually gave up. I was saving more money with them but with all the hassle in actually getting the order accepted I just gave up and went with a company that was a little more expensive but was an easy order.

With google checkout I was able to leave the ZIP field blank. I suspect that this was because I had set the location to Ireland.

• Advertisement

ah ok, never even thought to do that. Thought ebuyer would throw a hissy fit. Don't mind though goods are on the way from pixmania.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Anyone ever order from these guys?

http://www2.computeruniverse.net/

They seem to accept Credit card and Paypal, if Hardwareversand.de accepted credit card or paypal I would use them. Don't have time to get to the bank on weekdays. Germans can be very strange when it comes to business! How any e-tailer can run without CC or Paypal is beyond me.

Did up a spec the other day and I would save €180 by ordering from Hardwareversand instead of Komplett. I'm done ordering from Komplett anymore. Any opinions on Computeruniverse.net?

Regards,
    hideous.ape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Only dealings I've had is I ordered an item with them and then cancelled the order after the item had shipped. I rang them up and managed to get the parcel stopped before it left Germany, but I still got charged delivery - which was expected anyway. Their range and prices are good, and their postal rate of ~ €16 when paying by PayPal is both competitive and convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alpha1.2

hardwareversand.de

Prices: best I've seen around.

Range: spoilt for choice.

Payment: is a pain, bank transfer only which takes about 5 working days to get there (non-express)

Customer service: is mediocre - average of 20 hours for a reply to an email (I sent about 5). One email completely in German, one email showed they didn't understand what they said. I guess thats to be expected, site seems more geared towards germans. I have read other people on here having difficulty aswell.

Shipping: 30eur flat rate. Not so great if you are only buying one small thing. But fantastic if you are buying alot. I got PC, 22"monitor, 5.1 speaker system, keyboard $ mouse for 30eur.
    Ships DHL but DHL germany is special in that it is actually their equivalent of An Post. Tracking only goes so far as to say 'Arrived in Destination Country'. No tracking after that. The Hardwareversand site was able to tell me that the package was in the local distribution centre though. I rang DHL Ireland and they said that they should be able to track even without number, but system was down at that time :( Total time for stuff to arrive at my door from time of making the bank transfer online? 10 working days (5 for money to get there, 5 for delivery).

Build Quality: TBA

Would reccomend, but ONLY order things that are in stock.
    Overall score: 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Anyone ever order from these guys?

http://www2.computeruniverse.net/

They seem to accept Credit card and Paypal, if Hardwareversand.de accepted credit card or paypal I would use them. Don't have time to get to the bank on weekdays. Germans can be very strange when it comes to business! How any e-tailer can run without CC or Paypal is beyond me.

Did up a spec the other day and I would save €180 by ordering from Hardwareversand instead of Komplett. I'm done ordering from Komplett anymore. Any opinions on Computeruniverse.net?

Regards,
    hideous.ape

I have used them because they take Paypal,they are not as cheap as HWV tho

They were also quite quick with delivery,overall i was happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭savemejebus

ordered from them no problem and paid with paypal. however if you're ordering choose ups shipping. it took almost 3 weeks for me to get my stuff using their postal option. Plus you can't track it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Having something of an ongoing nightmare with Hardwareversand.de
    Well I'm not quite sure what to make of these guys at this point...

Ordered a rig (with assembly) on the 23rd of April.

My payment was confirmed on the 24th.

I was aware that some items might require a wait for delivery so I wasn't too surprised when they emailed me on the 26th to inform me that they were waiting for the motherboard to be delivered and that my order would be dispatched as soon as this arrived.

Since I figured they would need some leeway time (I ordered an out of stock part), I waited. The motherboard delivery day (30th) came and went without word.

On the 6th of May, after 10 days of silence, I emailed the company looking for an update and was informed that they were now awaiting delivery of the CPU (they stated it as being "still" out of stock but I can't remember if it was out of stock at the time I ordered). They suggested that I change my order to the tray version of the CPU (a bit more expensive) and a third party fan. The tray version was also out of stock but more regularly delivered. I replied immediately and said that if the price difference was not significant (I was chancing my arm that they might do me a deal there) that I would change my order. I also asked if any other components were at this point pending delivery.

On the 9th of May the company replied and informed me of the price difference between the CPUs. They also stated that my order was otherwise complete. I took this to mean that assembly would happen as soon as the last parts were ordered. I checked the websites stocks and was delighted to find that the tray CPU was now in stock. I picked out a 3rd party CPU fan (also in stock) and immediately provided both catalog numbers to the company asking them to bill me for any price difference and provide any needed reference numbers. There was no reply to this email.

Four days later (and 21 days after my order) and having heard nothing more, I emailed the company for an update.

Day 22. Hardwareversand customer services replied to me, once again stating that the CPU in my original order is not in stock and once again suggesting that I instead order the tray version. It's possible that the email contained other information, but it's hard for me to tell as they felt it was appropriate to write in German. I replied (in English along with a request in German for them to respond only in English) stating for the second time that I would like them to change the order as suggested and bill me.

Day 23. Hardwareversand replied to my email today (thankfully in English) stating that my order could not yet be assembled because I'd neglected to order a case. A quick look at my order history on their website shows that the case is the second item on the order list and that it is still in stock. I pointed this out.

Some have suggested that I phone up so I may try and do that today. That said, I don't have a landline so I'm not relishing an international call using my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Guys my ma is at the bank and they're saying the need the address of the company (not just the bank) to send it off and I wanna make sure that this is the right one:

hardwareversand.de GmbH
    Daimlerweg 4
    59519 Möhnesee
    Germany (<--- i'm assuming)

and did anyone else have to give the address of the company? Seems unnessecary.

Guys my ma is at the bank and they're saying the need the address of the company (not just the bank) to send it off and I wanna make sure that this is the right one:

hardwareversand.de GmbH
    Daimlerweg 4
    59519 Möhnesee
    Germany (<--- i'm assuming)

and did anyone else have to give the address of the company? Seems unnessecary.

Looks right. I think I did have to give the name at least, maybe the address. If they're asking for it just go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

K thanks. Although I've noticed that one or two items say Ready For Dispatch (1 article remaining) which can't be good :(

• Advertisement

K thanks. Although I've noticed that one or two items say Ready For Dispatch (1 article remaining) which can't be good :(

There's a good chance that either your order was received before that listing or that you'll get the last remaining item. Depends how much business they do I guess. If it's still listed that way now that your order is sent in, I'd say it doesn't include whatever they've put aside for you.

That said I have been having horrible trouble with these guys. Fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

just got a classic line from dabs.ie when i was talking to a customer service rep. I said can i get store credit for my faulty item and the person told me that dabs doesn't adhere to consumer law!!! sorry what??
    What a nightmare:rolleyes:

requiem1 wrote: »
    I said can i get store credit for my faulty item and the person told me that dabs doesn't adhere to consumer law!!!

Jesus. I'm somewhat unsurprised to read that Dabs.com was purchased by BT some two years ago. I guess Dabs must have inherited the BT support staff work ethic.

I have been trying to cancel my BT broadband account for several weeks now, to limited effect.

I have been trying to cancel my BT broadband account for several weeks now, to limited effect.

Is it direct debit? Just stop it and if they hassle you for money, just say "what? but I cancelled my account!"

Oh and requiem1, I was curious about this so I went on their chat facility...
    Susan 1108: Good evening, how can I help you?
    Customer: Does dabs adhere to consumer law?
    Susan 1108: Yes we would adhere to the consumer law
    Customer: Ok, can you give me a reference number for this chat?
    Susan 1108: You can use incident reference 139876317.
    Customer: Thank you very much Susan that is all spacer.gif

Don't know if that helps.

Oh and OmegaRed, If it's not too late (would have posted earlier if not for the mytsterious case of the missing thread in the night), my packages came at 3:30. It depends where you live on the route of the DHL vans. I'm in Deansgrange(ish stalkers stay away*).

*unless you're a bangin hot babe. If you are, my mobile is 087 5318008**

**+1 point if you get the joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Komplett:
    Item arrived wrongly advertised on their website.
    Dropped the item off at their depot 30/05/08
    Defective item received email 8/05/08
    My card credited 9/05/08
    It was omly afterwards I thought - why didn't I get refunded the shipping cost and why didn't they come and collect the item?

Dabs.ie
    Item arrived DOA
    Item collected form my home 2/05/08
    Replacement authorised email 8/05/08 - I didn't want a replacement but I didn't read the email until it had already shipped. I was going to refuse the delivery but I missed the courier - and he left it with my neighbour. Contacted 'Chat' immediately, RMA instantly authorised - item is now being collected at my choice this Monday 19/05/08.

I like elara.ie for the odd few things as their prices can be comparable and you can collect from their warehouse and so pay no shipping cost - handy if you live in Dublin.

Alpha1.2 wrote: »
    Is it direct debit? Just stop it and if they hassle you for money, just say "what? but I cancelled my account!

Planning to do just that but I think we owe them one final bill that's actually valid. Given thier tendency (I hear) to continue charging after cancellation and given that they charged me for several weeks prior to sending me an ADSL modem (and outright lied about its dispatch date twice)- I will most certainly be doing as you suggest :o

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Alpha1.2 wrote: »
    Is it direct debit? Just stop it and if they hassle you for money, just say "what? but I cancelled my account!"

Oh and requiem1, I was curious about this so I went on their chat facility...
    Susan 1108: Good evening, how can I help you?
    Customer: Does dabs adhere to consumer law?
    Susan 1108: Yes we would adhere to the consumer law
    Customer: Ok, can you give me a reference number for this chat?
    Susan 1108: You can use incident reference 139876317.
    Customer: Thank you very much Susan that is all spacer.gif

Don't know if that helps.

I had AMER 115 I think, I'll check the log i saved when I get home but I knew they had to just thought it was funny that they would say it to me, given they could get nailed in the small claims court for saying something like that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

I have an aversion to online purchases. Don't ask why, just know that I do. I just won't do it unless there's no other option. I do prefer the security and speed of buying things over the counter.

Anyway who are the best 'over the counter' hardware shops in Dublin? I know of Peats and Maplin, both are a short walk from my home, and a shorter bus journey...

Anyway, are there any others who would have a good range, or good price?

• Advertisement

Over the counter? Jaysus. I suppose I would prefer it but if you really want choice then alot of the time there's 'no other option' in Ireland! But I suppose I wouldn't even know. All I can think of is Peats, Maplin and PC World. Even PC world which is huge has nowhere near the range of what I would like. I know there is one or two tiny Pc places in town, but they are pretty small so I wouldn't expect much (never been inside though).

Advertisement