Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Lucuma wrote: »
    My friend told me today that Eirtext, an Iphone app, is working for her when her phone is outside Ireland, sickened!! The developers of Eirtext have obviously figured out a way to overcome the authorisation code that the websites like 02 send out....

Not all operators have the same webtext policies as O2. Meteor for example don't ever require you to enter codes whether your at home or abroad.

Is your friend using O2 for her webtexts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Not all operators have the same webtext policies as O2. Meteor for example don't ever require you to enter codes whether your at home or abroad.

Is your friend using O2 for her webtexts?

Yes she is. She said there was an issue after 02 first started that authorisation code thing but lately she downloaded the new version of Eirtext and now it's working again outside Ireland

Last time I looked I think Cabbage desktop wasn't working with Three. Is there any alternative? I see that JellySMS thing is no longer supported either. Am I missing something here?? Don't tell me everyone is actually using their provider's websites!!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I just downloaded cabbage for android

I'm with Meteor

I entered the account name as "meteor"

I entered my phone number as 085 xxx xxxx

I entered the password I use to log in to mymeteor

When I click "verify" it says "Invalid response received (tried to parse a page and couldn't find expected text)

Any idea whats wrong mate?

I just downloaded cabbage for android

I'm with Meteor

I entered the account name as "meteor"

I entered my phone number as 085 xxx xxxx

I entered the password I use to log in to mymeteor

When I click "verify" it says "Invalid response received (tried to parse a page and couldn't find expected text)

Any idea whats wrong mate?

Meteor are phasing out their old webtext system which is being replaced by https://my.meteor.ie/.
    I looks like your using the login credentials for the old system (phone number/pin). It's possible Meteor have now changed or shutdown their old webtext service so Cabbage can no longer be used.

I would recommend you register with the new Meteor online website from the link above. Unfortunately Cabbage doesn't support the new system so you will need to find an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

...or drop Meteor. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Meteor are phasing out their old webtext system which is being replaced by https://my.meteor.ie/.
    I looks like your using the login credentials for the old system (phone number/pin). It's possible Meteor have now changed or shutdown their old webtext service so Cabbage can no longer be used.

I would recommend you register with the new Meteor online website from the link above. Unfortunately Cabbage doesn't support the new system so you will need to find an alternative.

I've just upgraded my phone but cannot get Textdroid or Cabbage to work on it. It fails to login to both of them. I'm with meteor and can still use Textdroid from my old phone. Any ideas as to what's causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubecho

dceire wrote: »
    I've just upgraded my phone but cannot get Textdroid or Cabbage to work on it. It fails to login to both of them. I'm with meteor and can still use Textdroid from my old phone. Any ideas as to what's causing this?

Most likely down to old and new Meteor login policies talked about in above posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

dubecho wrote: »
    Most likely down to old and new Meteor login policies talked about in above posts.

Would it not be the same login used for my old phone too? That seems to be working fine with it. Any workaround for this or likelihood that the apps will be adapted for the new login?

dceire wrote: »
    Would it not be the same login used for my old phone too? That seems to be working fine with it. Any workaround for this or likelihood that the apps will be adapted for the new login?

I can't speak for either of the messaging apps you mentioned, but my guess is it's unlikely to happen if they haven't been updated by now.

If you can see my signature, I have a link to my webtext app which does work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Is Cabbage working with Vodafone at the moment? It's not working for me on my PC and the app tells me I'm running the latest version. I get Error: (-8). I had been using JellySMS since Cabbage stopped working with Vodafone in March but now JellySMS no longer works and apparently they are not supporting their PC version. I've search for other desktop texting apps but none that I've found so far are suitable. I'm happy to pay up to €20 a month if required for the service.
    I've tried Neon SMS but it is horrible and also MySMS which I can't get to work on my PC.
    Any help and advice much appreciated.
    Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Is Cabbage working with Vodafone at the moment? It's not working for me on my PC and the app tells me I'm running the latest version. I get Error: (-8). I had been using JellySMS since Cabbage stopped working with Vodafone in March but now JellySMS no longer works and apparently they are not supporting their PC version. I've search for other desktop texting apps but none that I've found so far are suitable. I'm happy to pay up to €20 a month if required for the service.
    I've tried Neon SMS but it is horrible and also MySMS which I can't get to work on my PC.
    Any help and advice much appreciated.
    Simon

Same here Simon. Cabbage Desktop doesn't work on vodafone for me either. Mobile version works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Try Jelly SMS www.jellysms.com Its free and works ok. Not as nice as Cabbage was but does the job. You have to manually enter the Captcha but other than that works perfectly on Vodafone. The signature is on by default but you can remove it.

nailer8 wrote: »
    Try Jelly SMS www.jellysms.com Its free and works ok. Not as nice as Cabbage was but does the job. You have to manually enter the Captcha but other than that works perfectly on Vodafone. The signature is on by default but you can remove it.

JellySMS won't work for me on my PC with Vodafone and Cabbage isn't working for me either

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

This is a great app.

Sending an international text using Meteor does not work

Any hope of a windows phone version?

JellySMS won't work for me on my PC with Vodafone and Cabbage isn't working for me either

Where is it breaking? I can use Jellysms on Vodafone with no problems.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Where is it breaking? I can use Jellysms on Vodafone with no problems.

When I launch the desktop app I get a message that says "Jelly SMS cannot connect to the Vodafone.ie Webtext website!"

In Tools > Preferences > Proxy there is the option to enter Proxy Host and Port, these are blank but I don't think I use a proxy. I connect to internet via network switch and firewall.

The problem with JellySMS arose when I did a Java update a few weeks ago. The Java update caused issues with several other applications also.

My Vodafone contract is up this month so I want to switch to a provider who has a decent webtext service and/or one with which I can use JellySMS or Cabbage. Can someone please advise which might be the best. I used to be with O2 and switched away from them partly because I was having trouble using Cabbage.

When I launch the desktop app I get a message that says "Jelly SMS cannot connect to the Vodafone.ie Webtext website!"

In Tools > Preferences > Proxy there is the option to enter Proxy Host and Port, these are blank but I don't think I use a proxy. I connect to internet via network switch and firewall.

The problem with JellySMS arose when I did a Java update a few weeks ago. The Java update caused issues with several other applications also.

Looks like you'll have to fix your Java install. Delete any old installs of it and make sure Java class path address is correct in Windows. I'd link but can't, just google "setting java classpath"

My Vodafone contract is up this month so I want to switch to a provider who has a decent webtext service and/or one with which I can use JellySMS or Cabbage. Can someone please advise which might be the best. I used to be with O2 and switched away from them partly because I was having trouble using Cabbage.

On O2 here, 500 free web texts and I have no issues with desktop and Android app now. Not sure what if any changes 3 will make yet though, seeing as they now own O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Tesco have the best app of this type imho. You can do a host of different things with that app, including sending webtexts.

I've written a webtext app and from my experience of implementing support for all the operators, this is how I see them.

O2 have the most convoluted webtext system and were by far the hardest to implement support for. They use JavaScript to render things, generate tokens that need to be retrieved, stored and passed around and other things. It's almost like they don't want app developers to be able to figure their system out.
    Vodafone was probably in 2nd place after O2. The webtext system wasn't as hard to follow but with their captchas and texting verification codes etc... it wasn't easy.

I would say Meteor & Tesco have the simplest most straight forward webtext sites and it was very easy to add support. They both have decent API's for webtexts which makes things much, much easier.
    Another big thing I would say for Meteor is, out of the blue they contacted me directly when they were shutting down the old website and did so in time giving me plenty of notice to implement support for their new system.

So purely from a support point of view, Meteor is probably the best as they inform app developers of impending changes. So it's less likely your app of choice will stop working tomorrow.
    After Meteor I'd say Tesco would be next, then 3, Vodafone and last O2.

In terms of who has the best package, Vodafone offer 600 webtexts a month plus you can send internationally. I don't think any of the others come close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I've written a webtext app and from my experience of implementing support for all the operators, this is how I see them.

O2 have the most convoluted webtext system and were by far the hardest to implement support for. They use JavaScript to render things, generate tokens that need to be retrieved, stored and passed around and other things. It's almost like they don't want app developers to be able to figure their system out.
    Vodafone was probably in 2nd place after O2. The webtext system wasn't as hard to follow but with their captchas and texting verification codes etc... it wasn't easy.

I would say Meteor & Tesco have the simplest most straight forward webtext sites and it was very easy to add support. They both have decent API's for webtexts which makes things much, much easier.
    Another big thing I would say for Meteor is, out of the blue they contacted me directly when they were shutting down the old website and did so in time giving me plenty of notice to implement support for their new system.

So purely from a support point of view, Meteor is probably the best as they inform app developers of impending changes. So it's less likely your app of choice will stop working tomorrow.
    After Meteor I'd say Tesco would be next, then 3, Vodafone and last O2.

In terms of who has the best package, Vodafone offer 600 webtexts a month plus you can send internationally. I don't think any of the others come close to that.

Fluffy88, Is your program available for PC? I see on your site is says Desktop but when I follow that link it refers to IOS only?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Fluffy88, Is your program available for PC? I see on your site is says Desktop but when I follow that link it refers to IOS only?

Short answer no, we only have an Android app.

Not sure what website your referring to? We don't have one, nor do we have an iOS version. You must have found a website for someone else.

Short answer no, we only have an Android app.

Not sure what website your referring to? We don't have one, nor do we have an iOS version. You must have found a website for someone else.

My bad :( I don't know why I thought your App was jelly SMS....

I knew it was SwiftSMS, just got mixed up :) It's a pity you don't have a Desktop version.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

If I'm poked in the right places enough time it might motivate me to do a desktop version :P

It's mostly laziness that's been holding me back, plus there is no simple distribution channel like the play store for desktop applications, no easy updates etc...

If I'm poked in the right places enough time it might motivate me to do a desktop version :P

It's mostly laziness that's been holding me back, plus there is no simple distribution channel like the play store for desktop applications, no easy updates etc...

Here's your first poke so :D

So, creating it would be reasonably straight forward for someone with your skills?

What about one of the softopia like software sites for distribution, or is something like that even doable?

Poke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

....but, I think at this stage we have to declare Cabbage as dead and move on.

Sam Vines, who wrote Cabbage, did an outstanding job, but seemingly life/work got in the way of it and with the amount of time that has passed, I'd say any upgrades/corrections/modifications at any time in the future are rather unlikely.

So, what next? I never tried JellySMS, which some tell me is very good, but I found indirectly through this group SwiftSMS, written by Boards.ie contributor fluffy88. I only need an Android app and am not worried about iOS and while I would LIKE a desktop version, I will survive without. So with these requirements, SwiftSMS is just great! I am a very very happy user and just came back from abroad where I used it successfully for the last week to send SMS via my included daily data plan (Vodafone Passport) to Irish and international numbers.

Try it out, if Android is your thing!

(BTW: I am just a really happy user and have no connection to or with fluffy88 or SwiftSMS!)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind words Hornet!
    For both SwiftSMS and Cabbage, it was a great app and I loved it for a long time. It was the inspiration to create SwiftSMS, as I felt it was getting a little outdated and as you say Sam was stepping away from it.

I'm hoping with SwiftSMS we can avoid these problems.
    After getting 2 very thoughtful pokes I'm looking into splitting the core functionality out of SwiftSMS so I can create a desktop flavour. It will probably take a good while to do with Christmas coming and all that. Plus with me being terribly lazy it might take even longer :pac:
    But as well as creating a desktop flavour, I would like to do a few other things, geeky program-y things, like create a Maven build for the whole thing, desktop, Android & core functionality. Write some decent tests for the app etc...
    The reason for that is I hope to make it open source, available on Github so everyone can help keep it going :)

I say all this, but I'm not sure how likely it is to happen or how long it might take :P

Advertisement