Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving home for christmas

• 22-12-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

We're planning on driving down to Kerry from the West either tomorrow or Friday to spend Christmas with the in laws and we've been warned the roads are very icy especially around Newcastlewest and Listowel. Now- its pretty bad up here as well but still drivable. Anyone here know if the coast road from Limerick to Tarbert is okay(ish) or are there any spots in particular to avoid like a plague of Jedwards?

I was thinking a thread like this could help all of us travelling to get home to Kerry this Christmas but please move if I've posted in the wrong spot.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joanofarse

Hi,

Has anyone driven from Dublin to Kerry / Limerick over the last day or so? How is the M7 etc with the freeze? meant to be heading down tomorrow, but obviously not looking great.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Sister in law drove today (left Dublin very early to make an appointment) Said it was treacherous to Portlaoise, frosty after that but well treated and not great from Newcastlewest to Castleisland.
    Overall - N and M roads well treated but 1st bit of M7 not good at all.
    Took her 5 hours from Tallaght to Tralee.
    Sun shining here now but no thaw so I'd reckon much the same tomorrow. Worst bit will be your last trek after you leave the main N road.
    Safe journey.
    (She was delighted with new motorway from Borris to Nenagh - dual carriageway all the way from Dublin to Adare now! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joanofarse

lottpaul wrote: »
    Sister in law drove today (left Dublin very early to make an appointment) Said it was treacherous to Portlaoise, frosty after that but well treated and not great from Newcastlewest to Castleisland.
    Sun shining here now but no thaw so I'd reckon much the same tomorrow. Worst bit will be your last trek after you leave the main N road.
    Safe journey.
    (She was delighted with new motorway from Borris to Nenagh - dual carriageway all the way from Dublin to Adare now! :))

Thanks man, much appreciated. Think i will keep an eye on the weather and make a decision tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

lottpaul wrote: »
    Safe journey.

coast road is quite good as far as tarbert not sure after that.........

drove yesterday to foynes.........roads really good after portlaoise....but hairy machairy-son up till that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

joanofarse wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone driven from Dublin to Kerry / Limerick over the last day or so? How is the M7 etc with the freeze? meant to be heading down tomorrow, but obviously not looking great.

Cheers

Drove from Limerick-Tralee yesterday and road conditions are ok. Most of the hard shoulder on the N21 in Kerry is covered in snow but the driving lane is perfect. The Castleisland bypass was down to one lane yesterday but I think it is ok now. M7 is meant to be icy from Dublin-Portlaoise according to AA roadwatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 onzie

think we'll give the coast road a go tomorrow, if we get down early enough i'll try to post an update, thanks a million for the updates.

Advertisement