Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Agonist wrote: »
    Did the PM say something about radiation?

he said he has no information re leaks at this point

irish1967 wrote: »
    Tsunami sirens sounding in Honolulu ! Wave expected in 3 hours. Vertical evacuation in place. 3rd floor or above.

Hawaii has been told to be on tsunami alert from 2am (their time).

Australia also on alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

The tsunami is travelling at 800 kph across the Pacific...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This is unbelievable lads...it's like the end of the world or something. Those poor people. And now Hawaii too is in danger. Just watching sky news there and that wave of mud crashing through all the farmland. Terrible stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Poor Japan is getting hammered as we speak and sky are giving live reports from Hawaii..... 3,000 miles away!!

Wave (might) hit Hawaii in 5 hours, if it does.......

Why all this Hawaii hysteria?

Come on Sky News, Japan is where the issue is........ May God look after them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

leahyl wrote: »
    This is unbelievable lads...it's like the end of the world or something. Those poor people. And now Hawaii too is in danger. Just watching sky news there and that wave of mud crashing through all the farmland. Terrible stuff

And you could see people just standing on the road and in the cars not knowing that the wave was coming towards them :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agonist wrote: »
    The tsunami is travelling at 800 kph across the Pacific...

That has to be s mistype????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Poor Japan is getting hammered as we speak and sky are giving live reports from Hawaii..... 3,000 miles away!!

Wave (might) hit Hawaii in 5 hours, if it does.......

Why all this Hawaii hysteria?

Come on Sky News, Japan is where the issue is........ May God look after them all.

Sky News have a contact in Hawaii and this tsunami could hit them hard as it picks up power crossing the Pacific.At least they are doing a better job reporting it than Irish Newscasters-not a mention of it here on the news earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

That has to be s mistype????

Well no, I heard a reporter saying that. He may have been wrong.

ollie1 wrote: »
    And you could see people just standing on the road and in the cars not knowing that the wave was coming towards them :(

I know and if one person has already been confirmed dead in Tokyo which is hundreds of miles away from the actual epicentre of the quake can you imagine how many people are dead where the main quake was....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Go to "justin tv " and type in cnn news. They have good coverage. So sad tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

My younger brother is in Japan on holidays since the weekend :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I really hope he's ok

What part is he in?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Scary, scary stuff. Remember hearing about this book years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Sixty-Seconds-That-Change-World/dp/0283060794

Kinda OT, but this guy has an excellent youtube channel for explaining sciency stuff. (See his history of the universe stuff.)

The scariest thing about this quake is I've seen numerous documentaries and reports forewarning this would happen. But now it's happened it's still hard to believe. When you hear about the grave stuff you think it sounds bad but when you see similar scenes on tv.:eek: Scary ****, just hope as many as people get as lucky as possible considering the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

What part is he in?

Was at Mount Fuji 22 hrs ago, can't make contact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

holy crap

(recorded video of tsunami wave)

Fekin hell, girl I was seeing in Philippines just went to the far north coast yesterday and there's a tsunami warning.. Hoping she's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We're on tsunami warning in NZ as well. Luckily I live up on a hill. Scary stuff.

How likely is it that there will be a major tsunami hitting Hawaii? Any experts on here or is there no way of knowing whether it will hit or not?

• Advertisement

FTGFOP wrote: »
    holy crap

(recorded video of tsunami wave)[/QUOTE

Thats hard to watch seeing the wave going towards those cars and one car was driving the wrong way and had to turn around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

How likely is it that there will be a major tsunami hitting Hawaii? Any experts on here or is there no way of knowing whether it will hit or not?

Heard on the news they said it was going to hit in 2 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Oh my fuc kin God. This is shocking. Worries about nuclear plants now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Sky are showing some extremely hard coverage.. Just showed moving cars being washed off along with the tsunami! God help them..:(

http://news.sky.com/skynews/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There is no way to know for sure this early.
    really is down to luck, lots of factors to come into play in the next few hours.

There's a lot of ocean between the waves and the islands.

I'd be a lot more worried about the smaller lower islands, they could be totally wiped out...

The cars in this pic look like toys in a swimming pool bobbing along.

This is heartbreaking. Watching it on CNN and it doesnt seem real.

http://twitpic.com/48dhx6

Seaneh wrote: »
    There is no way to know for sure this early.
    really is down to luck, lots of factors to come into play in the next few hours.

There's a lot of ocean between the waves and the islands.

I'd be a lot more worried about the smaller lower islands, they could be totally wiped out...

Christ this is awful! Thanks for that response. Just heard there are people being evacuated in Hawaii now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Reports of Kansai international airport completely destroyed.:( This is very very worrying. I am nearly in tears here watching some of these pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Been watching on Al Jazeera, NHK world and some Japanese station on Ustream. Its pretty horrible, showing live shots of the wave moving across the land actually watching people in cars driving away getting swallowed up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement